LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

winners & losers: preseason game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Winners: Dixon, Lemonier, Osgood, Dobbs, Haralson, Nhamdi, Cox, Reid

Losers: LMJ, Jenkins, Mccoy, Harper Most of the depth on offense.

The first teams on both O and D looked good. I was personally disapointed with LMJ's performance.

It has become glaringly obvious that this team has either missed, or entirely neglected the Offensive depth over the last couple of off seasons, and it really showed in this game.

Dixon had a good night, and looks to me to be looking to hold onto his roster spot. The guy that suprised me the most was Osgood. He certainly looks the part, huge guy, and he was busting ass on ST. He looks like he is gonna put up a fight for a roster spot.

Really? Why?

LMJ looked pretty darn good to me. He dances around a bit at times, but he also had some really nice runs. He got around the edge against Von Miller and ran past him for about 8 yards. He also had several nice runs up the middle.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Winners: Dixon, Lemonier, Osgood, Dobbs, Haralson, Nhamdi, Cox, Reid

Losers: LMJ, Jenkins, Mccoy, Harper Most of the depth on offense.

The first teams on both O and D looked good. I was personally disapointed with LMJ's performance.

It has become glaringly obvious that this team has either missed, or entirely neglected the Offensive depth over the last couple of off seasons, and it really showed in this game.

Dixon had a good night, and looks to me to be looking to hold onto his roster spot. The guy that suprised me the most was Osgood. He certainly looks the part, huge guy, and he was busting ass on ST. He looks like he is gonna put up a fight for a roster spot.

Really? Why?

LMJ looked pretty darn good to me. He dances around a bit at times, but he also had some really nice runs. He got around the edge against Von Miller and ran past him for about 8 yards. He also had several nice runs up the middle.

Relies on his speed entirely way too much. His vision hasnt seemed to improve to me. Stretches plays to the sideline far too often, his fumbles worry me, and IMO he is a bit contact shy. Im not saying he was horrible or anything, but i was disapointed in the progression i was in this first preseason game. I expected a lot more out of him, possibly too much i guess, but i expected more considering he is getting a lot of snaps in camp and had an offseason to develop.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Tolzien sucked

Looked better than McCoy.

they both sucked
After watching the second and third team offense, I think I know why the first team offense will also be the scout team for the first team defense.
Our whole second-string O-line was comically bad. I wanted to jump to conclusions about McCoy but he saw way too much pressure in the pocket.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Really? Why?

+ 1. I was pleased with what I saw of LMJ.

I definitely noticed some nice forward push from Ian.

Also liked what I saw of Boldin, Reid, Vance McD, LMJ, Lemonier, and Cox, Kilgore, and big Dix.

I don't remember seeing anything special from Dorsey.. didn't think much of McCoy or AJJ. Watched Okoye's minimal snaps... he was.. ookay, but nothing really went towards him. He got driven away by a double team on one of his first plays, but the RB didn't cut back properly, so no harm done.
Originally posted by 49ersss:
Winners: Reid, Lemonier, Asomugha, Cox, Haralson, Tolzien, McDonald

Losers: McCoy, Jenkins, all the backup O-line

I might be missing a couple so feel free to add.

This. Vance had a good day as well. Osgood was great.

Harper lost as well.
Winners: Williams, Cox, Lemonier, McDonald, Boldin, Osgood, Haralson, Skuta, Wilhoit, Reid, Nhamdi, Dixon, LMJ, Collie

Losers: OL Depth, Tolzien, McCoy, Jenkins
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Anybody know what was up with Jewel Hampton? We keep hearing how the 49ers are supposedly high on him...I didn't see him get into the game tonight (maybe he's injured?). Harper got into the game before him, which surprised me. I've been looking forward to seeing Hampton play in the preseason.

I Think Hampton should be ahead of Harper unless like you said he's injured
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Tolzien sucked

Looked better than McCoy.

they both sucked
agree...the drop off in play is significant....not sure if Kaep is really that good or these guys are that bad...

[ Edited by Hitman49 on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:
Anybody know what was up with Jewel Hampton? We keep hearing how the 49ers are supposedly high on him...I didn't see him get into the game tonight (maybe he's injured?). Harper got into the game before him, which surprised me. I've been looking forward to seeing Hampton play in the preseason.

Three running backs are competing for a roster sport--Dixon, Harper, and Hampton.

Dixon and Harper got enough playing time to be evaluated. Dixon won hands down.

Next game, I expect to Dixon and Hampton go head to head.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Nhamdi had his guy locked up whenever he was in press, he also made a nice play when they were in Zone. The QB would look to the side Nhamdi was on and would not throw it, that cause about 2 sacks and some plays to breakdown.
Watching McCoy and Tolzien brought me back to a dark place that took 10 years to get out of. Whenthe 9ers have a franchise qb you see the drop off in play.

I say let BJ Daniels get some snaps. If he is equal, then he should earn a roster spot and McCoy or Tolzien should be cut.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:

Three running backs are competing for a roster sport--Dixon, Harper, and Hampton.

Dixon and Harper got enough playing time to be evaluated. Dixon won hands down.

Next game, I expect to Dixon and Hampton go head to head.

I agree, Dixon looked good last night and definitely came out on top vs. Harper. I hope we see Hampton next game. Maybe the reason Harper played first last night has to do with the effort he's been giving in practices lately in sticking his nose in there in pass protection and just looking good otherwise? That fumble was rough last night, though. He didn't get any help from his OT but he has to hang on to that ball, especially that deep in his own territory.
  • bret
  • Veteran
First of all, the top 3 drafts picks all looked good - unlike last year I think we'll see solid contributions right away! The one who really surprised me was Lemonier. I know his college production was supposedly better than Mingo's, but I figured there must have been a catch for him to have fallen so far. But my God, what a first step!! He ran himself out of a couple of plays, but he looks like the real deal as a pass rusher!!

Nose tackle: Ian Williams looks like a MAJOR upgrade over Sopoaga, a player i'd always liked. But Williams was collapsing the pocket on almost every play. On the other hand, what's up with Dorsey? He looked fat and out of shape. I thought he might surprise his year, but for me the surprise was how bad he looked.

Perrish Cox really helped himself. All the talk was about how LMJ was growing into the return job. That may well be, but Cox looked like a natural fielding punts, something that's still missing from LMJ. And in the defensive backfield Cox was making plays all over the place. He impressed me the most among the 3 corners fighting for the #3 spot.

I guess I shouldn't have worried about inside linebacker depth: Wilhoite picked up where he left off last summer - hustling and making plays. I guess he's the reason they let Grant and Gooden walk.

If I had to pick the starting, no make that third down, wide receivers I'd have to go with Boldin, Collie and Moore. Austin Collie was the best receiver to play after Boldin left the game, and it wasn't even close! Kasim Osgood also really impressed, but I figure at his age, he only makes the roster because they want his special teams leadership, not because he'd be a good third or fourth receiver (they'll certainly want someone in that role they can be developing for the future).

And speaking of that, it certainly looks like that guy is NOT going to be AJ Jenkins. The move he made after his one catch gave a tantalizing clue as to what the team sees in him potential-wise. But there's just not a fire in his eyes, a take-no-prisoners attitude, which is what you need to be successful. My guess, they try like the dickens to trade him to another team who sees his potential to blow the top off defenses; but if that fails, I see him as a late cut.

On the o-line, Patrick Omameh looked over-matched (not quick enough). Looney did not appear to be the culprit in all the line break-downs, but he didn't look good enough for Iupati to be shaking in his boots. (BTW, reports out of camp were that he was working at left guard, but in the game he played right guard.) Looney looked good in the second half at center.

RB: LMJ impressed me so much at Oregon that I was surprised that he didn't look quicker and more explosive last year. Tonight he looked like he did at Oregon. Maybe he's mentally caught up to the speed of the game. Sure, he didn't look good with the 2nd-stringers, but then who did? He put up numbers against Denver's first string. Did you see how he ran away from Von Miller?! What's up with Jewel Hampton? With all the pre-game reports about DJ Harper's blocking, mixed with some comments from (I think) Barrows about how Hampton needed work in that area, maybe the team was making a statement. If they were, it didn't work out too well and Harper looked totally overmatched, and not just on his fumble that was only partially his fault. But on his first run he was stuffed for a loss and looked indecisive in doing so.

Not much to say at QB: McCoy got hurt and the QB least equipped to deal with a lack of protection got virtually the entire game to showcase his stuff. At least he generally made good decisions.

Lastly, talk about Brian Jennings getting beat out definitely appear premature as it was the back-ups who set up Dawson's field goal miss.
Share 49ersWebzone