LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

winners & losers: preseason game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With no OL passblocking, it is impossible to rate our WRs, tho Chad Hall looked good and Lockette looked like a rocket, even to he got held twice. You want a starter, at WR? Collie hands down, but he has played with the best, peyton. We need to see any Qb and 1st team OL to rate our WRs. Without 1st string OL, anything you see out there is wiped out by a 2nd and 3rd string Ol that couldn't block an 86 yr old in a nursing home. So still too early to rate WRs.

THIS
Our Special Teams and Defense will be very good this year. After getting a look at the rooks Reid, McDonald and Lemonier I can't wait to see Tank get on the field
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FrankGoreHOF:
Here it goes.....

I thought Glenn Dorsey was going to make an impact on defense for us this year. I was dead wrong! he looked fat, slow, out of shape, and like he had no drive to play hard. that said, I saw him push back a third string guard and almost make a tackle. If he wasn't held he might have made the tackle.

I saw forth and fifth string wideouts that looked three times better then Jenkins. Jenkins was in the wrong place on a scramble play one time. He got knocked on his ass coming in motion when it looked like he was supposed to go to the flats. Then, on the one play he made a good catch and turned it up field he coughed it up. It really looks like he might get cut.

Corey Lemonier blew my mind!! He was in the backfield every play. He overpowered pretty much everyone he was matched up against and looks like a started and a impact player, RIGHT NOW!!! Corey Lemonier is going to play a lot this season. The only thing is that Harrylson looks great too.

Reid did pretty good. He made some good hits, albeit they were after first downs had already been made, but good solid hits.
"fat"
that's always been my problem with dorsey. he's always been fat.
he's a good athlete; has good flexibility; has good joint range of motion. he should be much better, but he's always fat and out of shape. he has to lack desire.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Our Special Teams and Defense will be very good this year. After getting a look at the rooks Reid, McDonald and Lemonier I can't wait to see Tank get on the field

I'm really disappointed that Tank is not ready. I was under the impression that he was going to be ready for training camp when we drafted him. If he misses all of camp, they probably won't work him into the rotation until at least mid-season.
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With no OL passblocking, it is impossible to rate our WRs, tho Chad Hall looked good and Lockette looked like a rocket, even to he got held twice. You want a starter, at WR? Collie hands down, but he has played with the best, peyton. We need to see any Qb and 1st team OL to rate our WRs. Without 1st string OL, anything you see out there is wiped out by a 2nd and 3rd string Ol that couldn't block an 86 yr old in a nursing home. So still too early to rate WRs.

THIS

I agree to an extent. There were way too many screwed up routes from the receivers though. Fortunately there's still 4 weeks of preseason left for them to figure it out, but the WR's as a whole were bad tonight in areas that had nothing to do with pass protection.
Tough night for McCoy. Scheduled for an MRI on that shoulder. He said it's just a precaution and probably no big deal.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-49ers/mccoy-scheduled-mri-exam
Dobbs is preseason all pro. I hope to see dobbs against some number 1s this preseason to see if he improved. Dobbs got his arse kicked during the regular season last year.
Tolzein was obviously going to be more decisive in his decision making due to the comfort level he has with the offense. That's the difference between him and McCoy right now.
I didn't think Tolzien played badly at all, wasn't a great performance, wasn't a bad one either, he made a few mental errors, but also had a few really nice passes, all in all he looked decent, he looked the part of a guy destined to be a quality NFL backup, nothing more.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Tolzein was obviously going to be more decisive in his decision making due to the comfort level he has with the offense. That's the difference between him and McCoy right now.

I really like Tolzien's ability to work through his progressions, but damn, watching him throw makes me nervous. His passes travel in slow-motion. I keep thinking his sideline throws are gonna get pick 6'ed lol.

Originally posted by fister30:
Dobbs is preseason all pro. I hope to see dobbs against some number 1s this preseason to see if he improved. Dobbs got his arse kicked during the regular season last year.

Looking forward to Carradine and Dial hopefully soon moving Dobbs and Tukuafu down the depth chart or possibly one off the roster. I have said this before but those guys might be good finds/solid players for UDFA's and would be great for a lot of teams but we have higher standards. Hopefully some time this season we see Carradine as the #3 DE backing up McDonald/Smith and getting consistent pressure when in.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM ]
Ups Players in the cb competition they all did pretty good, Eric Reid he popped a few receivers to make me say Dashon who?!? Lemonier and Skuta did good jobs making themselves known tonight also.

Downs oline backups pressure pressure pressure it was never ending.

Nuetral Tolzien he escaped pressure well a few times but when you gotta man open throw it to him and when your gunna throw to a receiver put it on target, Mccoy same deal. Jenkins was on the field more then the rest of the receivers open alot ran routes well, but dammit when the ball is in your hands hold on for life and shed whatever mental ghosts are haunting you from last season.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This was a reason I didn't list him as a loser. I agree.

On top of those things I put him as a winner because Daniels didn't get to play QB tonight so that automatically upped his stock for the #3 (or maybe 2).

niners should carry only 2 qbs on final roster
Winners: Dixon, Lemonier, Osgood, Dobbs, Haralson, Nhamdi, Cox, Reid

Losers: LMJ, Jenkins, Mccoy, Harper Most of the depth on offense.

The first teams on both O and D looked good. I was personally disapointed with LMJ's performance.

It has become glaringly obvious that this team has either missed, or entirely neglected the Offensive depth over the last couple of off seasons, and it really showed in this game.

Dixon had a good night, and looks to me to be looking to hold onto his roster spot. The guy that suprised me the most was Osgood. He certainly looks the part, huge guy, and he was busting ass on ST. He looks like he is gonna put up a fight for a roster spot.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Aug 9, 2013 at 1:26 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:

I'm really disappointed that Tank is not ready. I was under the impression that he was going to be ready for training camp when we drafted him. If he misses all of camp, they probably won't work him into the rotation until at least mid-season.

yea it sucks but we don't need him right away anyways. His role will increase as the years go on but for now I think he is just going to work on getting completely healthy and act as insurance for Justin smith and McDonald. But hey maybe he explodes at practice and earns a bigger role quicker than we imagine
Share 49ersWebzone