There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

winners & losers: preseason game 1

Originally posted by Kolohe:
This was a reason I didn't list him as a loser. I agree.

On top of those things I put him as a winner because Daniels didn't get to play QB tonight so that automatically upped his stock for the #3 (or maybe 2).
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Winners: Reid, Lemonier, Ian Williams, Cox, McDonald

Losers: Jenkins, backup O Line sucks bad. McCoy

Even: Tolzien. Made some real good throws. Some bad ones too. Wasn't as accurate as usual. Still on balance not a bad overall game. In running for 2nd string for sure. Good understanding of the offense. Gets ball out quick. Usually accurate.

I don't think you can call him a loser in this game. It clearly wasn't his best. But his read and recognition is far better than McCoy at this point. And he made some real accurate throws too. He even had some terrible drops happen too. I think the Tennessee guy we just signed dropped a few and some others. He actually threw some super accurate balls that were just flat out dropped. Like low and away where only the WR can catch them but dropped it instead. He only threw one really terrible ball that I can remember. Remember also the O Line 2nd and 3rd string played awful. So with what he had and the drops right in guys hands that were good throws I don't think he did that bad.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Winners: Reid, Lemonier, Ian Williams, Cox, McDonald

Losers: Jenkins, backup O Line sucks bad. McCoy

Even: Tolzien. Made some real good throws. Some bad ones too. Wasn't as accurate as usual. Still on balance not a bad overall game. In running for 2nd string for sure. Good understanding of the offense. Gets ball out quick. Usually accurate.

Unfortunately Tolzien has smashed against his incredibly low ceiling.
If I had to call the week 1 starters vs GB at wide receiver it would be Boldin, Collie, Williams, Patton and Jenkins. I've got this feeling about Collie that he could be a major impact player for us this season. When Mario comes back he gets the #2 and Collie goes to the 3.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
If I had to call the week 1 starters vs GB at wide receiver it would be Boldin, Collie, Williams, Patton and Jenkins. I've got this feeling about Collie that he could be a major impact player for us this season. When Mario comes back he gets the #2 and Collie goes to the 3.

Mario will need around 2 weeks before he is really ready to step on the field. Depending on our record, Harbs may stash him longer for emergency reasons.
I focused on Cox, he's a play-maker, would like to see him as the return man. LMJ looked good running the ball but he doesn't hit me as the main return guy. Osgood and Skuta are football players. Lockette plays hungry, wish it would rub off on AJ. Asomugha was in the face of the wide-outs he covered, if the front seven can get pressure he'll be lock-down.
Tolzien sucked
Big Winners-Michael Wilhoite, Vance McDonald, Eric Reid, Ian Williams

Winners-Chad Hall, Marlon Moore, Corey Lemonier, Perrish Cox, Nmadi, Skuta.

Losers-AJ Jenkins, Nate Stupar, DJ Harper, most of the backup OL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Mario will need around 2 weeks before he is really ready to step on the field. Depending on our record, Harbs may stash him longer for emergency reasons.

Where did you hear Manningham needs around two weeks before he is really ready to step on the field?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Tolzien sucked

Looked better than McCoy.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Tolzien sucked

Looked better than McCoy.

much better in my estimation.
Osgood made a couple good plays
Originally posted by buck:

Where did you hear Manningham needs around two weeks before he is really ready to step on the field?
Once he is back (like able to play) it will take him a few weeks to knock the rust off. He wont be in mid season form like the rest of the team.
Positives:

Colin Kaepernick -- He looks even better than last year. Scary good.
Anquan Boldin -- Big, quick, smart, physical, everything you want from a real WR. Slow in the underwear Olympics, dominant on the football field.
Ian Williams -- Wow. He can move with power. Like RJF with more power. He's our starting NT. He'll get penetration up the middle for us. He is an upgrade.
Vance McDonald -- Short armed a pass, but looked great otherwise, and made several impressive receptions.
LaMichael James -- He is a very explosive runner, and will help us out this year.
Corey Lemonier -- Very explosive, (which I was expecting), but also possesses surprising strength. He is a great addition, and could develop into a special player. Looks the part.
Perrish Cox -- Played very well throughout the game, even as a return man.
Scott Tolzien -- Tolzien did not play bad, the backup O-line played terrible and he had very little time. He did some really good things and I think he will be our number two quarterback.
Michael Wilhoite -- Not great, but at least we have somebody serviceable at MLB in case we need him.
Eric Reid -- A pretty good tackler. That's already an upgrade over Goldson.
Glenn Dorsey -- Not too bad. Huge man, can move a little bit, he will help us on the D-line rotation.
Special teams -- We have a lot of good special team players.

Negatives:

Backup OT: Over the last few years, we have drafted guards, guards, centers, and more guards. So we are set there, but, where's our offensive tackle depth?
Kicker: I could be wrong, but I think our starting kicker Phil Dawson badly missed a field goal. It looked really ugly moving through the air too. Hopefully, a fluke.
WR's: We have fast guys, athletic guys, big guys, some are even big and fast, yet they never seem to actually do much in games other than make special teams plays.
Injuries: It's a shame that we have a bunch of players who are sidelined and missing out on valuable experience. I.E. Patton, Tank, Dial, Williams.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Once he is back (like able to play) it will take him a few weeks to knock the rust off. He wont be in mid season form like the rest of the team.

OK.
Too bad we do not know when he will be back. I am guessing that he goes on the PUP.