LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

winners & losers: preseason game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i think cox was the best back up in there.
The interior offensive line was good, just those tackles, doe.

Collie looks solid. He could be a nice slot receiver .

They do need better depth on that d-line.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With no OL passblocking, it is impossible to rate our WRs, tho Chad Hall looked good and Lockette looked like a rocket, even to he got held twice. You want a starter, at WR? Collie hands down, but he has played with the best, peyton. We need to see any Qb and 1st team OL to rate our WRs. Without 1st string OL, anything you see out there is wiped out by a 2nd and 3rd string Ol that couldn't block an 86 yr old in a nursing home. So still too early to rate WRs.

Yeah I know a lot of it was on the OL and the QB's but we had WR's dropping balls, fumbling and on numerous occasions guys running the wrong routes. Again only week 1 but like I mentioned earlier someone needs to make it impossible for them to be cut. Not going to be happy if it's 5-6 guys with 10-20 yards a game for the next 3 games. Someone needs to break out or stand out.

Side note: If you forced me to give you the order I would say Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Patton, Jenkins, then for the last spot I rank them as 1. Collie 2. Lockette 3. Hall 4. Moore
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With no OL passblocking, it is impossible to rate our WRs, tho Chad Hall looked good and Lockette looked like a rocket, even to he got held twice. You want a starter, at WR? Collie hands down, but he has played with the best, peyton. We need to see any Qb and 1st team OL to rate our WRs. Without 1st string OL, anything you see out there is wiped out by a 2nd and 3rd string Ol that couldn't block an 86 yr old in a nursing home. So still too early to rate WRs.

Yeah I know a lot of it was on the OL and the QB's but we had WR's dropping balls, fumbling and on numerous occasions guys running the wrong routes. Again only week 1 but like I mentioned earlier someone needs to make it impossible for them to be cut. Not going to be happy if it's 5-6 guys with 10-20 yards a game for the next 3 games. Someone needs to break out or stand out.

I have an issue with that to a certain degree. These guys have been practicing for a while now and they all are pro's after all. If your jobs is to catch a ball it shouldn't take weeks to get it together. Boldin doesn't have shaky hands, Crabs never had major issues, and Vernon seems ok......you either look like a starter or you dont.
Originally posted by 49ersss:
Winners: Reid, Lemonier, Asomugha, Cox, Haralson, Tolzien, McDonald

Losers: McCoy, Jenkins, all the backup O-line

I might be missing a couple so feel free to add.

I would add Dan Skuta to the Winners category. He played well at OLB. Dorsey and Ian Williams also did well at NT/DT.

DJ Harper also a bad night. Loser for sure.
Here it goes.....

I thought Glenn Dorsey was going to make an impact on defense for us this year. I was dead wrong! he looked fat, slow, out of shape, and like he had no drive to play hard. that said, I saw him push back a third string guard and almost make a tackle. If he wasn't held he might have made the tackle.

I saw forth and fifth string wideouts that looked three times better then Jenkins. Jenkins was in the wrong place on a scramble play one time. He got knocked on his ass coming in motion when it looked like he was supposed to go to the flats. Then, on the one play he made a good catch and turned it up field he coughed it up. It really looks like he might get cut.

Corey Lemonier blew my mind!! He was in the backfield every play. He overpowered pretty much everyone he was matched up against and looks like a started and a impact player, RIGHT NOW!!! Corey Lemonier is going to play a lot this season. The only thing is that Harrylson looks great too.

Reid did pretty good. He made some good hits, albeit they were after first downs had already been made, but good solid hits.
Originally posted by FrankGoreHOF:
Here it goes.....

I thought Glenn Dorsey was going to make an impact on defense for us this year. I was dead wrong! he looked fat, slow, out of shape, and like he had no drive to play hard. that said, I saw him push back a third string guard and almost make a tackle. If he wasn't held he might have made the tackle.

Well I wouldn't judge the rest of the season on the first pre season game but looked to me Dorsey has gained weight and not the good kind of weight. Seems like we want him to anchor and not penetrate. I think Williams has a big lead as our starting NT right now.
I didn't get to see but I read on nfl.com that eric read had some nice tackles can anyone give details on his play?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I like what I saw from Corey Lemonier and Ian Williams. There the biggest winners.
Originally posted by nc49erfan:
I didn't get to see but I read on nfl.com that eric read had some nice tackles can anyone give details on his play?

Saw most of the 2nd half and the starters were obviously out, but he looks just about right on schedule. He will need another year IMO to be reliable and "get it" but he doesn't look bad which is a good thing.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by FrankGoreHOF:
Here it goes.....

I saw forth and fifth string wideouts that looked three times better then Jenkins. Jenkins was in the wrong place on a scramble play one time. He got knocked on his ass coming in motion when it looked like he was supposed to go to the flats. Then, on the one play he made a good catch and turned it up field he coughed it up. It really looks like he might get cut.

Corey Lemonier blew my mind!! He was in the backfield every play. He overpowered pretty much everyone he was matched up against and looks like a started and a impact player, RIGHT NOW!!! Corey Lemonier is going to play a lot this season. The only thing is that Harrylson looks great too.

Reid did pretty good. He made some good hits, albeit they were after first downs had already been made, but good solid hits.

Gotta disagree about Dorsey, I thought he controlled his gap and got push on the pocket at times, I thought he was Ian Williams for sec..

I'll choose 5 in each case

Winners: Kilgore, Lemonier, Asomugha, Cox, I. Williams

Losers: McCoy, Tolzien, Jenkins, Harper, entire 2nd O-line
Winners: Reid, Lemonier, Ian Williams, Cox, McDonald

Losers: Jenkins, backup O Line sucks bad. McCoy

Even: Tolzien. Made some real good throws. Some bad ones too. Wasn't as accurate as usual. Still on balance not a bad overall game. In running for 2nd string for sure. Good understanding of the offense. Gets ball out quick. Usually accurate.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Even: Tolzien. Made some real good throws. Some bad ones too. Wasn't as accurate as usual. Still on balance not a bad overall game. In running for 2nd string for sure. Good understanding of the offense. Gets ball out quick. Usually accurate.

This was a reason I didn't list him as a loser. I agree.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

On top of those things I put him as a winner because Daniels didn't get to play QB tonight so that automatically upped his stock for the #3 (or maybe 2).
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I don't think you can call him a loser in this game. It clearly wasn't his best. But his read and recognition is far better than McCoy at this point. And he made some real accurate throws too. He even had some terrible drops happen too. I think the Tennessee guy we just signed dropped a few and some others. He actually threw some super accurate balls that were just flat out dropped. Like low and away where only the WR can catch them but dropped it instead. He only threw one really terrible ball that I can remember. Remember also the O Line 2nd and 3rd string played awful. So with what he had and the drops right in guys hands that were good throws I don't think he did that bad.
Share 49ersWebzone