LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

winners & losers: preseason game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Tolzien has a very quick release and he has a much stronger arm than I thought he did. He looks to me like he has a stronger arm than McCoy.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by natrone06:
Unfortunately Tolzien has smashed against his incredibly low ceiling.

I like Tolzien, but I have to agree that Tolzien showed his limitations in yesterday's game.

I'm not sure how you can say this. What did you see to justify this? He's had a few preseason games and he was under intense pressure most of the time. How long did it take Alex to even begin to approach his ceiling.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I am going to read through your post but first this popped out. Dixon is back there with the kickoff returners (like 5-8ish yards ahead of them) as the lead blocker and the 1st kickoff was short so he took it. I agree though Dixon looks to be a lock right now. ST guy, short yardage RB, backup fb, cheerleader, locker room guy... wish he would have ran like he is now a few years back. He's stopped the dancing and has done well in short yardage.

You may be right...but the first kickoff it looked like he and Cox were back in the EZ for the return and he grabbed it and returned it to the 24. But like you said, Cox was the deeper of the two and this is pre season so not much to read into here.

I didn't have Dixon making the team...again...but the dude has some voodoo no doubt. I would love if a more pure FB could emerge in case Miller goes down (and handle the short yardage and play ST coverage well also). I think we have plenty of RB's. Dixon isn't a pure blocker but given his other intangibles, he has a terrific shot of making this team...again. LOL
Originally posted by NCommand:
You may be right...but the first kickoff it looked like he and Cox were back in the EZ for the return and he grabbed it and returned it to the 24. But like you said, Cox was the deeper of the two and this is pre season so not much to read into here.

I didn't have Dixon making the team...again...but the dude has some voodoo no doubt. I would love if a more pure FB could emerge in case Miller goes down (and handle the short yardage and play ST coverage well also). I think we have plenty of RB's. Dixon isn't a pure blocker but given his other intangibles, he has a terrific shot of making this team...again. LOL

Anthony Dixon is the ghost of Derrick Deese. Lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Surprised no moves have been made, or was that past game a wash.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I didn't think Tolzien played badly at all, wasn't a great performance, wasn't a bad one either, he made a few mental errors, but also had a few really nice passes, all in all he looked decent, he looked the part of a guy destined to be a quality NFL backup, nothing more.

Agreed. He was under pressure almost all the time and his accuracy was for the most part good. Some drops also didn't help him. He showed he can through the intermediate to deep routes also with accuracy. His arm is not the disaster some people claim. He may be the fastest in dropping, setting and releasing on the team. He is a prototypical west cost QB. Right now he looks like #2.

Yeah, I was most impressed with his arm strength and intermediate, deeper out route throws towards the sidelines. It was either a well-thrown harder pass or dropping it in over one defender and in front of another. His decisiveness was probably the most notable. And b/c of this it lead to some quick P.I.'s in our favor and a bog 4th down late in the game. He seems like a viable #2 with his experience in our offense and just needs more and more reps. I'd love to see him with the 1's though.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Anthony Dixon is the ghost of Derrick Deese. Lol

Spot on!
Share 49ersWebzone