There are 274 users in the forums

2013 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS vs. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS GAMEDAY THREAD (Preseason Game 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by THEB:

Alex being the same old efficient, accurate, methodical Alex i know and love. I hope he does very well for himself in KC.

can't make too much out of that, very basic and conservative. we'll just have to wait until the bullets start flying week 1.
Who starts at wide receiver against the Chiefs opposite Boldin? I would like to see Collie get some first team snaps and catch some passes from Kaep to better showcase his abilities. It may be Moore again though, as he has done well in camp so far.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Who starts at wide receiver against the Chiefs opposite Boldin? I would like to see Collie get some first team snaps and catch some passes from Kaep to better showcase his abilities. It may be Moore again though, as he has done well in camp so far.

I don't think Collie has learned enough of the playbook to start. Wouldn't mind seeing Lockette start vs. the Chiefs.
  • dj43
Just watched the Chiefs game on NFL Preseason. Their 1s looked very good. The D shut out Drew Brees the entire first quarter/2 possessions. Dontari Poe was a beast at NT. Getting nice penetration on passing plays. He has really picked up his game from last season.

On offense, they looked very much like an Andy Reid offense in the hay days at Philly. Reid used Jamaal Charles just like he used to use Brian Westbrook. The Saints had no answer. Alex Smith was smooth, 7/8 for 68 yards, 7:38 ending with a TD. Here were his passing plays:

1. Screen pass out of the pistol to Charles for 6 yards. Someone appeared to miss a block or it could have been another 4 or 5.

2. Nice play action roll out pass to Fasano for 11 yards. The ball was right on time and in stride.

3. Swing to Charles who was wide open in the flat. 8 yards

4. Third option to Fasano over the middle for 9 yards. Chiefs had two receivers running deep on this one but Saints covered both.

5. Crossing route to the FB for 8 yds. Looked like third option.

6. Hit McCluster on a curl route for 12 yds. That kid is quick. Smith looked off the first safety and came back to McC.

7. Pocket collapsed almost immediately and Smith threw it away to avoid the sack.

8. Came back to Charles on his 3rd option after deeper routes into the EZ were covered. 12 yds to the 2. Charles slipped down at the 2 or it would have scored.

Charles scored inside right tackle on the next play.

Chiefs ran a lot to their right behind Eric Fisher. Fisher is a big strong kid with excellent footwork. He made a couple of rookie mistakes but is the real deal. Plays with a lot of nasty. Likes to grind an opponent down. Should be a good battle Friday night. I want to watch that action.

Chiefs will be a good team. Looked a bit like the 49er game - 1s dominated early and the backups looked...not so good.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I don't think Collie has learned enough of the playbook to start. Wouldn't mind seeing Lockette start vs. the Chiefs.

I guess you send that monster down the field and let him take that safety with him. You have to pay attention to such a large target moving that fast. Geez
And the day has come...

Definitely would love to see more of Chad Hall in the slot, putting Jenkins out wide.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 10, 2013 at 12:03 AM ]
Collie is a better slot guy than Hall. Bigger target and better routes and probably better hands.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
CUT EM UP!!!!!

I hope we don't play Aldon Smith. I don't want Alex Smith to get injured and cost us a 2nd round pick. Let's give Aldon a rest for this one.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I just hope they will play better that's all. The last game was just plain bad (apart from the 1st team), that wasn't 9ers football. A lot of teams played far better than us this week. I really need to see some progress from our back-ups.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't want anymore injuries. I couldn't care less who does or doesn't play.
Originally posted by Rascal:
I just hope they will play better that's all. The last game was just plain bad (apart from the 1st team), that wasn't 9ers football. A lot of teams played far better than us this week. I really need to see some progress from our back-ups.

That's because almost all of those 'successful' preseason heroes got to play cum-dumpster teams with horrible depth, that won't even make the playoffs -We just faced a potential Superbowl contender with tons of talent/depth on both sides of the ball. Our backups might not have shown up, but it is what it is; I expect us to come out really well next week now that our staff has seen early signs of what might not be working for each individual player.
I watched Alex in his series against the Saints, he was very efficient. Two things though, first, the Saints D was terrible, second, Alex threw short on every play. He would take a peek downfield and then look to his check downs. The Chiefs have a great runner in Charles and Alex will keep them mistake free. I'ts a good fit. They have a decent chance at 8-8, which means a second rounder for us in next years draft.
Share 49ersWebzone