The 49ers did well in improving their Dline depth, but I'm not so sure they did much to improve the pass rushing talent for the 13-14 season. It will still be the Smith Bros doing the heavy lifting. The improvement to the pass rush is in the freshness of those two players in the 4th quarter. Is that a fair assessment? Below is how I see the improvement in the pass rushing talent a little lacking. I would have liked a little more in terms of an extra veteran body being able to get after the QB.
- Swap Sopoaga for Ian Williams: pass rush ability improvement from 'nothing' to 'something'
- Swap RJF for Dorsey: big improvement in run stopping, but lateral move in terms of pass rushing; fresher Justin
- Parys Haralson returns: fresher Aldon
- Tank: unknown; may contribute midseason coming back from major surgery, but must face an uphill start as a rook
- RayMac: has leveled off and should be consistent from last season
- Lemonier: unknown
- Brooks: might take an upswing in development. More likely to stay consistent with last year.
- Aldon: natural upswing in development
A fresher Aldon and Justin will no doubt help the pass rush, but the pass rush talent itself will be on par with last season. Seymour, Abraham, and vets like them were who I was hoping they could have added. Instead, the 49ers may again have the fate of the pass rush still lay heavily on the Smith Bros and that's risky.
Many fans wanted to add bodies to the Dline mix, but what's really been done is replacing (Soap for Ian, RJF for Dorsey), then adding two rookies, one of which can't help yet. Do you think more should have been done to acquire a proven pass rusher? Please don't take this as a rant post. This is just, what I feel, should be a legit concern going into the season.