There are 265 users in the forums

Gameplan vs Seattle in week 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I know is preseason, is just a note of precaution that's all. They are going to be one of our key oponents, it doesn't hurt to study what they did tonight.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
It's preseason. Most teams do not take winning or losing in the preseason that seriously. Loser teams like the Seahawks and punk coaches like Carroll like to run up scores in the preseason because it makes them feel like they're winning something. Preseason has never ever mattered. We revisit this issue year in and year out. Do you remember when Steve Spurrier started running up the score in the preseason as coach of the Redskins? What good did that do them in the regular season? They were a loser team because they couldn't win when it counted.

Yup. I remember those Spurrier coached Redskin teams. They rolled over everyone in the pre-season, including us...38-7 or something like that. None of that translated to the regular season.

Seattle has proved they're a quality team, but this doesn't mean they're going to curb stomp every playoff team 40-7 once the season starts. The hype around Seattle is beyond ridiculous. They're a really good team, but there are at least half a dozen teams that are just as good, if not better.
OMG 40 pts! Just remembered it's preseason and doesn't really matter.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 5280High:
No one curr

I am sure Harbaugh does.

Do you really think that Harbaugh cares?

Preseason games just are not valid predictors of the quality of a team. Harbaugh has enough experience in and with the NFL to know that.

At best preseason games a tool for evaluating individual players, and by no means are they the only tool for doing so.
Originally posted by buck:
Do you really think that Harbaugh cares?

Preseason games just are not valid predictors of the quality of a team. Harbaugh has enough experience in and with the NFL to know that.

At best preseason games a tool for evaluating individual players, and by no means are they the only tool for doing so.

Exactly.

I remember people were shocked when they find out Harbaugh doesn't game plan AT ALL for pre-season.

"But how can he properly evaluate the players!?!"

"But Seattle looks sooo impressive while we can't even score a TD!!?!"

Turns out ole' Harbs knows what he's doing. He's had one of the most successful first 2 years of coaching in NFL history. f**k Seattle. Let them win the pre-season championship. We'll settle for the real thing.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM ]
I had gone back and forth last pre-season between been frustrated and bored by the way that the 49ers, under Harbaugh, were approaching pre-season games. Now, I just find it hilarious. I imagine Andy Reid, though, doesn't find it hilarious that the 49ers' defense, playing mostly the 2s for a majority of the first half absolutely dominated Kansas City's #1 offense (minus JC).

To the subject of the original post, though. The offensive game plan against the Seahawks is, I suspect, is not going to vary much from what it will be against any other team this year. It is going to be difficult to get much going from our wide receivers on the perimeter, so I think that we will see a lot of between the tackle runs. Vernon Davis will be important taking the top off of the Seahawks pass defense to allow for Boldin et. al to get open over the middle behind Seattle's average middle line backers.

Key to the defensive game plan will be sealing Russell Wilson. If the 49ers can prevent Wilson from getting outside of the pocket, I think they have a good chance at shutting down. A lot of delusional Seahawk fans have extrapolated from the second SF vs. Seattle game in Seattle after the Niners played an overtime Sunday game in Seattle. I think that they do this at their own peril for reasons that have been stated over and over from this board. I think that it will be fascinating, especially with respect to the game plan against Seattle, to see how the 49ers coaches deploy Lemonier. He is a stud, and I mention him because he has the kind of elite speed at the edge that can counter Russell Wilson. I really don't see the Seahawks having much success against the 49ers when they are on offense.

The key to the game will be putting up over 21 points. Seattle won't score that many against this defense this year.

Also, one more point, and I don't mean to sabotage the thread, but the biggest addition over the off-season may well be Dawson. I don't have the time right now to research this, but it seems like the 49ers were adversely impacted by Akers' inconsistency/inaccuracy multiple times last year. The game that immediately comes to mind is the game vs. the Rams in St. Louis but I know there were others. WIth an accurate kicker (or with Delanie actually catching the ball), we win that game.
We can't keep s**tting on ourselves on Special Teams. We have to get this cleaned up against Seattle.
Not concerned about Seattle's pre-season. But to deny they're a good team is pure ignorance. An argument can be made that their roster has even stronger depth than ours in some key areas.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Seattle looks really good.. Mid season form especially the def.. I'm

worried about our receives matching up... Bolden will be ok but we need a receiver who is a good complement.... Somebody has to separate.

Remember, in the NFL, it's not about how you start, it's about how you finish. Shehawks can't play with that level of intensity for a full season. They'll fade if they try. Running up the score in preseason is b***hmade type stuff though.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Not concerned about Seattle's pre-season. But to deny they're a good team is pure ignorance. An argument can be made that their roster has even stronger depth than ours in some key areas.

Nobody is denying they're a good team. Quite the opposite actually. Some zoners seem to be intimidated by them. I watched every second of that beat down in week 16 and I don't see it. Good team, yes. OMG we're screwed, no.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I agree Seattle is a good team. They were last year and I see no reason to think that they will not be good this year.

But, some posters need to seriously reconsider the importance of a preseason game.

Preseason games have a variety of values, but preseason games just are nor valid predictors of how good a team will be in the regular season.

Preseason games are a good tool for player evaluation, but they are no more than one of the evaluative tools used by coaching staffs.

The games may gain importance for the fans, because these games are our only chance to really watch the players play.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM ]
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Seattle looks really good.. Mid season form especially the def.. I'm

worried about our receives matching up... Bolden will be ok but we need a receiver who is a good complement.... Somebody has to separate.

Remember, in the NFL, it's not about how you start, it's about how you finish. Shehawks can't play with that level of intensity for a full season. They'll fade if they try. Running up the score in preseason is b***hmade type stuff though.

No it isnt lol. Harbs ran up the score and we love him for it. it's preseason let'em run it up. And I agree with D-NOTTE though...... Kaep is gonna have to be at his best with his accuracy to fit the ball in tight windows.
I agree Seattle is a good team. They were last year and I see no reason to think that they will not be good this year.

But, some posters need to seriously reconsider the importance of a preseason game.

Preseason games have a variety of values, but preseason games just are nor valid predictors of how good a team will be in the regular season.

Preseason games are a good tool for player evaluation, but they are no more than one of the evaluative tools used by coaching staffs.

The games may gain importance for the fans, because these games are our only chance to really watch the players play.

Seems it is merely the nature of fandom to elevate the importance/relevance of pre-season when the team they follow performs well and to dismiss it when they don't.

In reality, it's a time for the vets to fine tune, rooks to get their feet wet and everyone in-between to fight for a job . . .

Soon, both the good and the bad, will count
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:

Seems it is merely the nature of fandom to elevate the importance/relevance of pre-season when the team they follow performs well and to dismiss it when they don't.

In reality, it's a time for the vets to fine tune, rooks to get their feet wet and everyone in-between to fight for a job . . .

Soon, both the good and the bad, will count

Hope Seattle goes undefeated in preseason.
Originally posted by niners94:
Hope Seattle goes undefeated in preseason.

I hope they go uninjured in preseason

(and, if they "tune-up", find a diamond in the rough ~or two~ and secure some depth . . . that'd be a bonus)
Share 49ersWebzone