There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Gameplan vs Seattle in week 2

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
  1. Contain Lynch - it starts there. Keep them in 3rd and long situations
  2. Convert 3rd downs (even some tough ones) early to get momentum and an early lead
  3. Prevent the scramble drill by RW... if he beats us, it's from the pocket. We faired pretty well last year vs. QBs in the pocket, but got burned when the play broke down and the opposing QB scrambled.
  4. MINIMIZE PENALTIES
  5. Execute

Absolutely this.
On defense:

- Put one of the larger corners (Nnamdi?) right up on Rice, their biggest receiver and play him exactly like Browner and Sherman play - grabbing and harassing all the way down the field. If the refs call illegal contact on Nnamdi, it will be hard not to call it on Browner and Sherman.

- Assuming they can stop the run, try to collapse the pocket with the OLB's staying on the outside shoulder of the tackle or TE. When gaps develop to prevent the collapse, have either Bowman or Willis do delayed stunts up the middle right into the pocket to harass Wilson. (This is the way the Steelers played Tarkenton)

On offense:

- Four receiver sets with some bunch formations designed to prevent Browner or Sherman from getting a hand on one of the faster guys so that he can get behind the corners.

- Screens or hitches to the side opposite the slot receiver.

- Vernon, Vernon and more Vernon
Originally posted by GNielsen:
On defense:

- Put one of the larger corners (Nnamdi?) right up on Rice, their biggest receiver and play him exactly like Browner and Sherman play - grabbing and harassing all the way down the field. If the refs call illegal contact on Nnamdi, it will be hard not to call it on Browner and Sherman.

- Assuming they can stop the run, try to collapse the pocket with the OLB's staying on the outside shoulder of the tackle or TE. When gaps develop to prevent the collapse, have either Bowman or Willis do delayed stunts up the middle right into the pocket to harass Wilson. (This is the way the Steelers played Tarkenton)

On offense:

- Four receiver sets with some bunch formations designed to prevent Browner or Sherman from getting a hand on one of the faster guys so that he can get behind the corners.

- Screens or hitches to the side opposite the slot receiver.

- Vernon, Vernon and more Vernon

Unfortunately in big games ( like this last SB) we seem to get the PI calls while the other teams D gets away with murder.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Unfortunately in big games ( like this last SB) we seem to get the PI calls while the other teams D gets away with murder.

Well, my point is that this is how Browner and Sherman play. If you mirror their style throughout the game and they only call it on one team, I'm guessing the NFL is going to get a package of video shots and a letter. And, my ulterior motive would be to expose the way the refs are letting Browner and Sherman get away with murder on almost every play. Harbaugh has complained about it. Mike Smith complained about it after their playoff game with them last season. And Fisher has questioned the refs during games with them on what they're seeing. It's a Pete Carroll strategy - do it every time forcing the refs to call it every play. They won't call it every play, so they end up not calling it at all. But, if the other team is doing it, one of two things could happen - they could just let Nnamdi or another Niner corner do it which would take Sidney Rice out of the game, or they could start calling it on both teams. If they start calling it on the Hawks, my contention is that those two corners could be in trouble. Sherman is a 4.57 40 and Browner is a 4.64 40. The Niners have a few players who can just blow by someone with that kind of speed - that's basically good linebacker speed, not good corner speed.
I like Nielsen's plan: play them nose up, hold, bump ,a few shots to the chops, and step on a few feet. Make them sweat coming to LOS.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Well, my point is that this is how Browner and Sherman play. If you mirror their style throughout the game and they only call it on one team, I'm guessing the NFL is going to get a package of video shots and a letter. And, my ulterior motive would be to expose the way the refs are letting Browner and Sherman get away with murder on almost every play. Harbaugh has complained about it. Mike Smith complained about it after their playoff game with them last season. And Fisher has questioned the refs during games with them on what they're seeing. It's a Pete Carroll strategy - do it every time forcing the refs to call it every play. They won't call it every play, so they end up not calling it at all. But, if the other team is doing it, one of two things could happen - they could just let Nnamdi or another Niner corner do it which would take Sidney Rice out of the game, or they could start calling it on both teams. If they start calling it on the Hawks, my contention is that those two corners could be in trouble. Sherman is a 4.57 40 and Browner is a 4.64 40. The Niners have a few players who can just blow by someone with that kind of speed - that's basically good linebacker speed, not good corner speed.

Totally agree with everything u posted. I just find it very disappointing when I rewatch certain games and it appears the refs aren't allowing our D to do the same things as our opponents.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I like Nielsen's plan: play them nose up, hold, bump ,a few shots to the chops, and step on a few feet. Make them sweat coming to LOS.

Exactly. Give them a taste of their own medicine.
i agree, we should beat them up on the outside. vernon and vance out with boldin and have Bruce miller go pound some one and just run them ragged with gore and james alternating. go 60% run early on til they lose all taste for blocking against our bigger players and then go for the mid to intermediate routes. the key to beating seattle is to hit them. they beat us last year because they hit more and got away with plenty of holds but if we hit them like they hit us our bigger players will outlast them. corners and safeties getting hit by two huge te's and one of the toughest WR's in the league as well as gore and miller should wear them out pretty fast
I would spend a greater majority of your time focusing on the Packers game. You embarrassed a pretty good team twice now and they are going to be pissed. Don't think they haven't spent their whole offseason thinking about revenge. Niner's want payback in Seattle, but Green Bay wants payback against you..
Have every 49er come out of the tunnel with Sacramento Kings hats
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
I would spend a greater majority of your time focusing on the Packers game. You embarrassed a pretty good team twice now and they are going to be pissed. Don't think they haven't spent their whole offseason thinking about revenge. Niner's want payback in Seattle, but Green Bay wants payback against you..

we do extremely well against finesse teams. i think teams like seattle and baltimore give us more trouble. but as fans we dont have to prepare, the players and coaches do so we can talk all we want and it means nothing lol
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we do extremely well against finesse teams. i think teams like seattle and baltimore give us more trouble. but as fans we dont have to prepare, the players and coaches do so we can talk all we want and it means nothing lol

True dat. I am not even thinking about the Niners and neither are most seahawk fans because we wan't to get that first 10 AM game out of the way. We play five of them this year and I would love it if the Seahawks can go 3-2 in them. BTW what is the feeling amongst niner fans about Bay Area native Marshawn Lynch?
[ Edited by seahawk12thman on Aug 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM ]
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

True dat. I am not even thinking about the Niners and neither are most seahawk fans because we wan't to get that first 10 AM game out of the way. We play five of them this year and I would love it if the Seahawks can go 3-2 in them. BTW what is the feeling amongst niner fans about Bay Area native Marshawn Lynch?

are most of them at home?
Are there any straight bars in Castro?
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by richierichard:
how do potato