There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trent-Jim relationship issues? (pure conjecture...reading the tea leaves)

Originally posted by ninerjok:
The media's timing on this issue or nonissue is complete horses**t. Jim & Trent's occasional disagreements are no big deal, they're much more concerned with the continued improvement of this team entering the playoffs. Everything and everyone needs to STFU.

It's not media timing of anything...someone leaked it to trotter and kawakami
iLL..

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/search.php?search=2d52e079ad2de1accf95491d52247e65

All kawakami bs ^^^
Originally posted by okdkid:
Jesus Christ.

• buck
  • Veteran
Jed York has an opinion, and his opinion actually means something. Or his opinion means more than a reporter's, yours, or mine.

Before a story about the creative tensions between Jim Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke popularized the topic this week, a member of the 49ers organization acknowledged the occasional friction between the duo.
That person: Jed York.

In February, before Super Bowl XLVIII in New Orleans, the 49ers CEO said Harbaugh and Baalke had an excellent working relationship. But that didn't mean they always agreed.
"They both get to the same place, I'd say, 95 percent of the time," York said. "But they take different paths to get there. And the five percent where they don't? That's always very entertaining to see those conversations. But they fight with each other and they push each other because they both want to win."

In this excellent column, the San Jose Mercury News' Tim Kawakami spelled out some of those disagreements. In February, in explaining their sometimes-testy relationship and different personalities, York brought up a decision on which Harbaugh and Baalke agreed: The decision to draft Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick in 2011.
"They collectively came to the decision that Colin was the right guy for us," York said. "And they liked for him for different reasons. Jim is a gut-feeling kind of guy. Trent is an analytical, like everything needs to sort of fit and I'm going to make sure that everything is perfect. And I'm going to go through the analysis process."

Kawakami's column made the Harbaugh-Baalke dynamic a talking point today when York made an appearance on KNBR. He said their differences haven't prompted Harbaugh to pine for more power when it comes to personnel decisions.
"He's never asked for that," York said. "He's never intimated any of that. I mean, it's easy to say, it's easy to speculate: ‘Well, he was in college and he had full control and he wants full control here.' That sounds great until you actually get to reality.

"And Jim's never really asked for that. Now do we butt heads on players from time to time? Of course, that's what coaches and GMs do. But Jim knows that being a coach is a full-time job and he has a lot respect for the job that Trent has done."

Added York: "They sit down and argue things out and then they figure out what's the best thing for the 49ers and let's move forward. That's really how I see this team operating in the future and in perpetuity."
Looking to the near future, York said he hopes to reach a contract extension with Harbaugh, who is in the third season of a five-year, $25 million deal.

"You really can't ask for a much better job than what he's done in his first two-and-a-half seasons," York said. "Now is not the right time to get into a deep contract discussion, but he knows we want him here long-term. And we'll sit down at the end of the season. We'll assess like we always do and I definitely anticipate Jim being here for a long period of time."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/12/18/in-february-york-detailed-the-5-percent-in-harbaugh-baalke-dynamic/
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
The media's timing on this issue or nonissue is complete horses**t. Jim & Trent's occasional disagreements are no big deal, they're much more concerned with the continued improvement of this team entering the playoffs. Everything and everyone needs to STFU.

It's not media timing of anything...someone leaked it to trotter and kawakami

Whatever, I really don't care. It's a stupid unnecessary distraction at this point. If TK commences to pursue the issue at the next JH presser I hope he gets torn a new a**hole.
Originally posted by buck:
Jed York has an opinion, and his opinion actually means something. Or his opinion means more than a reporter's, yours, or mine.

Before a story about the creative tensions between Jim Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke popularized the topic this week, a member of the 49ers organization acknowledged the occasional friction between the duo.
That person: Jed York.

In February, before Super Bowl XLVIII in New Orleans, the 49ers CEO said Harbaugh and Baalke had an excellent working relationship. But that didn't mean they always agreed.
"They both get to the same place, I'd say, 95 percent of the time," York said. "But they take different paths to get there. And the five percent where they don't? That's always very entertaining to see those conversations. But they fight with each other and they push each other because they both want to win."

In this excellent column, the San Jose Mercury News' Tim Kawakami spelled out some of those disagreements. In February, in explaining their sometimes-testy relationship and different personalities, York brought up a decision on which Harbaugh and Baalke agreed: The decision to draft Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick in 2011.
"They collectively came to the decision that Colin was the right guy for us," York said. "And they liked for him for different reasons. Jim is a gut-feeling kind of guy. Trent is an analytical, like everything needs to sort of fit and I'm going to make sure that everything is perfect. And I'm going to go through the analysis process."

Kawakami's column made the Harbaugh-Baalke dynamic a talking point today when York made an appearance on KNBR. He said their differences haven't prompted Harbaugh to pine for more power when it comes to personnel decisions.
"He's never asked for that," York said. "He's never intimated any of that. I mean, it's easy to say, it's easy to speculate: ‘Well, he was in college and he had full control and he wants full control here.' That sounds great until you actually get to reality.

"And Jim's never really asked for that. Now do we butt heads on players from time to time? Of course, that's what coaches and GMs do. But Jim knows that being a coach is a full-time job and he has a lot respect for the job that Trent has done."

Added York: "They sit down and argue things out and then they figure out what's the best thing for the 49ers and let's move forward. That's really how I see this team operating in the future and in perpetuity."
Looking to the near future, York said he hopes to reach a contract extension with Harbaugh, who is in the third season of a five-year, $25 million deal.

"You really can't ask for a much better job than what he's done in his first two-and-a-half seasons," York said. "Now is not the right time to get into a deep contract discussion, but he knows we want him here long-term. And we'll sit down at the end of the season. We'll assess like we always do and I definitely anticipate Jim being here for a long period of time."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/12/18/in-february-york-detailed-the-5-percent-in-harbaugh-baalke-dynamic/

/thread
  • buck
  • Veteran
This may somewhat repetitive but it does give us Jed York's take on this supposed conflict between Baalke and Harbaugh.

San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York doesn't see tension in the relationship between coach Jim Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke, despite how much the two might "butt heads."

Speaking Wednesday on KNBR-AM, York said his top men often disagree about players, but Harbaugh never has asked for more control over personnel matters.

"Now do we butt heads on players from time to time? Of course," York said, per The Sacramento Bee. "That's what GMs and coaches do. But Jim knows that being a coach is a full-time job, and he has a lot of respect for the job that Trent has done. I mean, you look at the folks we've added through the draft, free agency and trade -- we're in a pretty good spot from a talent standpoint."

There has been some contention in the Bay Area that Harbaugh would like more input into the players San Francisco signs, similar to what he had when he coached at Stanford. However, York denied a request was made and doesn't anticipate Harbaugh gaining more control, at least not contractually.

"And I've always said, you can have control in your contract, but if you can't sit down and actually talk something through, it really doesn't matter what your contract says," York said. "And I think that's where Jim and Trent are. They sit down and argue things out. And then they figure out, what's the best thing for the 49ers and let's move forward. And that's how I really see this team operating in the future and in perpetuity."

Harbaugh has two years remaining on his original five-year, $25 million contract. Given how he's helped turn around the 49ers in a short period, we can expect that number to go up in the not too distant future.
If what York says holds true during those eventual contract negotiations, Harbaugh still will coach the players that Baalke -- who has done a fantastic job in his own right -- ultimately decides fit the 49ers' program.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000300547/article/jed-york-jim-harbaugh-hasnt-asked-for-more-power
[ Edited by buck on Dec 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • buck
  • Veteran
more from Jed York

In February, York detailed the '5 percent' in Harbaugh-Baalke dynamic (emphasis added)

Typical TK b******t.
Exactly, TK - BS.....there's going to be some disagreement with these guys, but Jim has got to be pleased with 97% of the guys except for AJ Jenkins. Not a good pick, I wish we had picked up Alshon Jeffrey or Randle, but you can't hit on them all.

You can't measure players hearts!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Typical TK b******t.

but now its out there, its got legs and the niners feel they had to address it. so it served its purpose, it is a distraction as the team is in a must win situation every week
Originally posted by cciowa:
Typical TK b******t.

but now its out there, its got legs and the niners feel they had to address it. so it served its purpose, it is a distraction as the team is in a must win situation every week

At 9-4 hardly a distraction. Nothing compared to what is going on in D.C.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Typical TK b******t.

agree but still a unneeded distraction. Like i said, whether its aldons drama, this stuff, injuries, rumors bout JH going to texas, roman etc.. just to make the playoffs in a year filled with drama would be a huge plus.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

10 - 4. Dude don't scare me like that