There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trent-Jim relationship issues? (pure conjecture...reading the tea leaves)

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Hrrmm...replied before but somehow disappeared...

2012 wasn't as bad as people think.

Jenkins was a bust. No getting around that. James is a good player who is simply buried on the depth chart. He's played well when given an opportunity. Looney is a good backup. What people seem to forget though is that the 49ers spent a great deal of time in 2012 moving down and OUT of the draft. They got a number of their picks in 2013 in draft day trades in 2012. Without some of those moves, the 49ers would not likely have been able to give up a 3 to move up for Eric Reid while still being able to select Corey Lemonier.

These drafts don't exist in a bubble. To look at them that way gives you a false sense of success or failure.

In 2012, the 49ers weren't looking for a bunch of starting players. Their roster was full and had few spots to fill. They deferred those picks and is a big reason this last draft looked so good.

Look at the Seahawks 2013 draft. How many of those guys are contributing? They were in a similar spot with few holes to fill. The difference is that they traded for Percy Harvin who hasn't played yet. Christine Michael looks good but he can't get on the field either because Lynch and Turbin are ahead of him.

Baalke is just fine. Peeps need to chill. You don't hit on every pick. His first round record is Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Aldon Smith, AJ Jenkins, and Eric Reid. I'll take an 80% success rate.

the homer glasses are clouding your judgement. lol


Read my reasons and it'll make more sense.

If you just look at the players drafted that year, it looks kinda ugly. My point is that they traded out of the draft several times and without those moves 2013 wouldn't be as good as it was.
Just read Tim's article again. I think it's insightful, accurate and not blown out of proportion. He believes that Trent and Jim are good for each other. I do think the management of the cap has been masterful. If Trent is responsible for that, then he is valuable. Quite frankly, I would be a little concerned if Harbaugh had final say on who gets signed. The cap is a tricky thing. Harbaugh's leverage lies in who takes the field.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,128
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Hrrmm...replied before but somehow disappeared...

2012 wasn't as bad as people think.

Jenkins was a bust. No getting around that. James is a good player who is simply buried on the depth chart. He's played well when given an opportunity. Looney is a good backup. What people seem to forget though is that the 49ers spent a great deal of time in 2012 moving down and OUT of the draft. They got a number of their picks in 2013 in draft day trades in 2012. Without some of those moves, the 49ers would not likely have been able to give up a 3 to move up for Eric Reid while still being able to select Corey Lemonier.

These drafts don't exist in a bubble. To look at them that way gives you a false sense of success or failure.

In 2012, the 49ers weren't looking for a bunch of starting players. Their roster was full and had few spots to fill. They deferred those picks and is a big reason this last draft looked so good.

Look at the Seahawks 2013 draft. How many of those guys are contributing? They were in a similar spot with few holes to fill. The difference is that they traded for Percy Harvin who hasn't played yet. Christine Michael looks good but he can't get on the field either because Lynch and Turbin are ahead of him.

Baalke is just fine. Peeps need to chill. You don't hit on every pick. His first round record is Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Aldon Smith, AJ Jenkins, and Eric Reid. I'll take an 80% success rate.

the homer glasses are clouding your judgement. lol

i am sorry but there is no way in gods green earth you can provide any sort of cover for that draft. on the other hand they chose wisely in the draft before and after 2012. despite what some of you "want" to think, this story just did not pop up out of thin air. there probably is some tension but it sounds like they respect each others boundaries and it has not been tragically bad. of course winning helps that and despite romans best efforts to destroy the team, those two are doing a good job of keeping things together and , overall, moving forward.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Just read Tim's article again. I think it's insightful, accurate and not blown out of proportion. He believes that Trent and Jim are good for each other. I do think the management of the cap has been masterful. If Trent is responsible for that, then he is valuable. Quite frankly, I would be a little concerned if Harbaugh had final say on who gets signed. The cap is a tricky thing. Harbaugh's leverage lies in who takes the field.

completley agree, i don't want harbaugh draft players..no way no how. he wanted owen maecic for god sakes....
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am sorry but there is no way in gods green earth you can provide any sort of cover for that draft. on the other hand they chose wisely in the draft before and after 2012. despite what some of you "want" to think, this story just did not pop up out of thin air. there probably is some tension but it sounds like they respect each others boundaries and it has not been tragically bad. of course winning helps that and despite romans best efforts to destroy the team, those two are doing a good job of keeping things together and , overall, moving forward.

aug 7th original post by me...lambasted on the zone

no problem tooting my own horn now thank you

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Hrrmm...replied before but somehow disappeared...

2012 wasn't as bad as people think.

Jenkins was a bust. No getting around that. James is a good player who is simply buried on the depth chart. He's played well when given an opportunity. Looney is a good backup. What people seem to forget though is that the 49ers spent a great deal of time in 2012 moving down and OUT of the draft. They got a number of their picks in 2013 in draft day trades in 2012. Without some of those moves, the 49ers would not likely have been able to give up a 3 to move up for Eric Reid while still being able to select Corey Lemonier.

These drafts don't exist in a bubble. To look at them that way gives you a false sense of success or failure.

In 2012, the 49ers weren't looking for a bunch of starting players. Their roster was full and had few spots to fill. They deferred those picks and is a big reason this last draft looked so good.

Look at the Seahawks 2013 draft. How many of those guys are contributing? They were in a similar spot with few holes to fill. The difference is that they traded for Percy Harvin who hasn't played yet. Christine Michael looks good but he can't get on the field either because Lynch and Turbin are ahead of him.

Baalke is just fine. Peeps need to chill. You don't hit on every pick. His first round record is Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Aldon Smith, AJ Jenkins, and Eric Reid. I'll take an 80% success rate.
I had the same opinion of the 2012 draft. We just hadn't spent a lot of draft currency that year. We rolled it over into 2013 where we went in with major capital and was able to net an abundance of talent to an already loaded team. We have subsequently accumulated a great deal of capital for 2014 as well. This is becoming an annual occurrence. Not to mention Baalkes work annually with very smart wheelings and dealings in free agency. Baalke is doing just fine. He is not easily replaced
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,128
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am sorry but there is no way in gods green earth you can provide any sort of cover for that draft. on the other hand they chose wisely in the draft before and after 2012. despite what some of you "want" to think, this story just did not pop up out of thin air. there probably is some tension but it sounds like they respect each others boundaries and it has not been tragically bad. of course winning helps that and despite romans best efforts to destroy the team, those two are doing a good job of keeping things together and , overall, moving forward.

aug 7th original post by me...lambasted on the zone

no problem tooting my own horn now thank you

you are are a better man than me. i never keep track of what i did or wrote in previous posts from four months ago why would i want to insult myself
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,880
Harbaugh will probably get more power with his next contract and that is probably a good thing since it will keep the most important 49er happy. When you have the best coach in the NFL you don't side with the guy who is a first time GM since 2011. I would much rather lose Baalke then Harbaugh.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Hrrmm...replied before but somehow disappeared...

2012 wasn't as bad as people think.

Jenkins was a bust. No getting around that. James is a good player who is simply buried on the depth chart. He's played well when given an opportunity. Looney is a good backup. What people seem to forget though is that the 49ers spent a great deal of time in 2012 moving down and OUT of the draft. They got a number of their picks in 2013 in draft day trades in 2012. Without some of those moves, the 49ers would not likely have been able to give up a 3 to move up for Eric Reid while still being able to select Corey Lemonier.

These drafts don't exist in a bubble. To look at them that way gives you a false sense of success or failure.

In 2012, the 49ers weren't looking for a bunch of starting players. Their roster was full and had few spots to fill. They deferred those picks and is a big reason this last draft looked so good.

Look at the Seahawks 2013 draft. How many of those guys are contributing? They were in a similar spot with few holes to fill. The difference is that they traded for Percy Harvin who hasn't played yet. Christine Michael looks good but he can't get on the field either because Lynch and Turbin are ahead of him.

Baalke is just fine. Peeps need to chill. You don't hit on every pick. His first round record is Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Aldon Smith, AJ Jenkins, and Eric Reid. I'll take an 80% success rate.

the homer glasses are clouding your judgement. lol

i am sorry but there is no way in gods green earth you can provide any sort of cover for that draft. on the other hand they chose wisely in the draft before and after 2012. despite what some of you "want" to think, this story just did not pop up out of thin air. there probably is some tension but it sounds like they respect each others boundaries and it has not been tragically bad. of course winning helps that and despite romans best efforts to destroy the team, those two are doing a good job of keeping things together and , overall, moving forward.


I didn't say it was a "good" draft. I said it wasn't as bad as some think because of the picks that were pushed into 2013 and the options and players it afforded them.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Harbaugh will probably get more power with his next contract and that is probably a good thing since it will keep the most important 49er happy. When you have the best coach in the NFL you don't side with the guy who is a first time GM since 2011. I would much rather lose Baalke then Harbaugh.

The first time GM was hired first specifically to hire the coach. Both went on to win the annual award. The front office built a roster that only needed to get better at QB. Harbaugh fixed that and we took off. The GM had a better roster than the Ravens last year but the coach didn't run the ball from second and five. Now I happen to think both men are indispensable and that personnel evaluators should acquire talent and the coaches should coach and develop the talent. We need both guys
i wonder whats the next story that will come out after this one fizzles
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,606
Originally posted by Jcool:
Harbaugh will probably get more power with his next contract and that is probably a good thing since it will keep the most important 49er happy. When you have the best coach in the NFL you don't side with the guy who is a first time GM since 2011. I would much rather lose Baalke then Harbaugh.

Harbaugh is a good coach, a very good coach, but I would not say he is the best coach in the NFL.

Harbaugh seems to be one of the best coaches in the league.

Baalke seems to be one of the best general managers in the league.

Losing either would not be good.
[ Edited by buck on Dec 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i wonder whats the next story that will come out after this one fizzles

A bunch of nothing is what this is. No two individuals agree 100 percent of the time. Even married folk. Mindless reporting without much substantial evidence
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,128
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I didn't say it was a "good" draft. I said it wasn't as bad as some think because of the picks that were pushed into 2013 and the options and players it afforded them.
sorry, it was as bad as some think
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i wonder whats the next story that will come out after this one fizzles

A bunch of nothing is what this is. No two individuals agree 100 percent of the time. Even married folk. Mindless reporting without much substantial evidence

its just leaks from someone's camp w/ an agenda...likely harbaugh's getting set for negotiations this feb