LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Trent-Jim relationship issues? (pure conjecture...reading the tea leaves)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Baalke had a great draft in 2011, a bad one in 2012, and 2013 is still a question mark. For now based on track record he is average when it comes to picking players, and pretty good in managing the team roster. He and Harbaugh will still have a tough task ahead in maintaining the team's excellence.

You forget about 2010. Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navarro Bowman, and Dixon in the 6th round. Also, signed Ahmad Brooks that year. Make that two solid drafts, one questionable one, and one to be determined but shows promise with Reid and Lemonier. My prognosis: well above average in the draft.

Side Note on 2012: LMJ still shows promise and Joe Looney does as well.

Once we factor in the Free Agent signings and the trades (6th rounder for Boldin), I give him an A grade

Baalke did some maneuvering, but the draft board of 2010 was already set up by McCloughan.

No disagreement on free agent moves that Baalke made. That's why I wrote: "pretty good in managing the team roster". I just separated out the actual player drafting in my judgment.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fastforward:
Baalke did some maneuvering, but the draft board of 2010 was already set up by McCloughan.

No disagreement on free agent moves that Baalke made. That's why I wrote: "pretty good in managing the team roster". I just separated out the actual player drafting in my judgment.

Baalke was in charge of the draft in 2010. He gets credit or blame for the draft.

We do not know who set up the draft that was used in the 2010 draft. I never saw it before or after Baalke was put in charge.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
trent missed on tank; you can't argue otherwise. lost a whole season of play--when other teams got a whole season/or part of play from their high pick. paid a whole season of salary and got nothing in return. in order to accept this, you better think the guy will more than make up for the down time; but that is no given, in this case.
he better end up a good starter for several years, or this is a completely ill-advised pick.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by xcfan:
trent missed on tank; you can't argue otherwise. lost a whole season of play--when other teams got a whole season/or part of play from their high pick. paid a whole season of salary and got nothing in return. in order to accept this, you better think the guy will more than make up for the down time; but that is no given, in this case.
he better end up a good starter for several years, or this is a completely ill-advised pick.

First off, they knew Tank's injury, I'm pretty sure they did their research on him. For that you can't say Baalke missed at least when Tank hasn't even played a game yet.

Yeah, you can argue otherwise . . . of course with an eye on the future.

Let's say hypothetically that Carradine rehabbed to 100% . . . how much playing time would he get this year playing behind Cowboy and McDonald? Does that still make it a bad pick? The draft is not always about THIS YEAR . . . for the top teams it's rarely about THIS YEAR.
When tank starts rolling all the nay says will be on the bandwagon.

Tank is going to be a star and this will go down as an excellent pick. In fact, many teams will be copying the "49er Way."
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Actually, it is pretty easy to argue otherwise...drafts are judge 3-4 years down the road, not 7 months later. Lets take the case of Ray McDonald. He came out of Florida as a 3rd round pick in 2007 with a knee issue. Ended up playing in 9 games as a back-up for a team a lot less talented than this one and having 3 tackles. He remained a back-up for 4 years before becoming a starter and key part of the 49ers defense the last 3 years. I'm sure there were similar thoughts in 2007 about drafting McDonald given his knee injury and his meager production his rookie year and the subsequent 3 years. I recall a fair amount of angst when he was given his contract extension and became a starter in 2011.

The 49ers medical staff seems to know what they're doing. Crabtree has come back in 6 months from a complete Achilles tear and looks fine other than being rusty for having missed the off-season program, TC and the first 11 games of the season. They deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point when it comes to Tank.

The ironic part is that those claiming Baalke missed on Tank because he's been shut down for the season are actually hurting their own argument. At least part of the reason he's been shut down is because the 49ers have good depth on the DL and have been getting very good play from Jerrod-Eddie, which lowered the need for Tank to play. You have to give Baalke at least some of the credit for having built a very deep team that allows the 49ers to not draft and not rush back Tank, Lattimore, etc.

And, that leads to the obvious question that 99% of Baalke bashers never answer...ok, the 49ers let him go, who do you replace him with? And, while you're trying to come up with just 1 name with a better track record than Baalke, Baalke will already have 3 interviews set up with teams looking for a new GM.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
LOL@ this thread

LOL

This

Baalke is one of the most respected drafting GM's in the league right now... his drafts have been extremely strong and he's been resigning the right players to extentions.

I sweat the webzone sometimes cracks me up

Top 15 talent in the 2nd rd. I can live with him not playing his rookie year, especially when we haven't needed him.
It's already been said, but we draft guys who have a helluva time breaking into starting lineup, excepting p-52 and Reid. Otherwise, lots of talent here and on the bench. It is pretty easy to draft a bunch of starters when you don't have doo doo for talent on a 2-14 team.

I'm ok with the Tank pick because we need a replacement for the aging Justin Smith he could be it. The picks I absolutely dislike are Vance Mcdonald and Marcus Lattimore. Vance was not needed because Celek last year was just as good as Vance has been this year for us. Lattimore has missed the entire season and is so redundant we already have Hunter and Lamichael who could backup Gore and possibly replace him down the road.
Originally posted by SolAsch24:
I'm ok with the Tank pick because we need a replacement for the aging Justin Smith he could be it. The picks I absolutely dislike are Vance Mcdonald and Marcus Lattimore. Vance was not needed because Celek last year was just as good as Vance has been this year for us. Lattimore has missed the entire season and is so redundant we already have Hunter and Lamichael who could backup Gore and possibly replace him down the road.

You would've passed on Marcus Lattimore? Interesting. I get the argument, it's Marcus F'N Lattimore. A healthy Lattimore blows Hunter and James out of the water and I'm sure you know this.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

You would've passed on Marcus Lattimore? Interesting. I get the argument, it's Marcus F'N Lattimore. A healthy Lattimore blows Hunter and James out of the water and I'm sure you know this.

I really wanted the us to grab Eddie Lacy after we picked Reid.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I really wanted the us to grab Eddie Lacy after we picked Reid.

I think he would have been similar to McDonald in terms of production. Rathman rarely let's his guys see the field until they have their pass protection down cold. That takes time.
Originally posted by kem99:
Actually, it is pretty easy to argue otherwise...drafts are judge 3-4 years down the road, not 7 months later. Lets take the case of Ray McDonald. He came out of Florida as a 3rd round pick in 2007 with a knee issue. Ended up playing in 9 games as a back-up for a team a lot less talented than this one and having 3 tackles. He remained a back-up for 4 years before becoming a starter and key part of the 49ers defense the last 3 years. I'm sure there were similar thoughts in 2007 about drafting McDonald given his knee injury and his meager production his rookie year and the subsequent 3 years. I recall a fair amount of angst when he was given his contract extension and became a starter in 2011.

The 49ers medical staff seems to know what they're doing. Crabtree has come back in 6 months from a complete Achilles tear and looks fine other than being rusty for having missed the off-season program, TC and the first 11 games of the season. They deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point when it comes to Tank.

The ironic part is that those claiming Baalke missed on Tank because he's been shut down for the season are actually hurting their own argument. At least part of the reason he's been shut down is because the 49ers have good depth on the DL and have been getting very good play from Jerrod-Eddie, which lowered the need for Tank to play. You have to give Baalke at least some of the credit for having built a very deep team that allows the 49ers to not draft and not rush back Tank, Lattimore, etc.

And, that leads to the obvious question that 99% of Baalke bashers never answer...ok, the 49ers let him go, who do you replace him with? And, while you're trying to come up with just 1 name with a better track record than Baalke, Baalke will already have 3 interviews set up with teams looking for a new GM.
This, Baalke has been good at finding UDFAs that play -- Boone, Williams, TJE, Dobbs, and others.

If you can sign FAs well, draft well, and get UDFAs to play, it takes all three

The Tank being shutdown has everything with TJE playing like a stud

Plus, signing Glen Dorsey has turned out to be genius -- he had 11 tackles against the Seahawks and has held down the 0 gap

Plus, Okoye has all the tools

If Tank and Lattimore turn out to be players, will people come back to eat crow?
Share 49ersWebzone