LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Trent-Jim relationship issues? (pure conjecture...reading the tea leaves)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
silly thread... he's doing fine.
Niners should have hired me. All my rookies would be ballers right out the gates. Psssh, Baalke is such a loser
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
baalke is doing a great job. we are able to draft the way he did this year because of how deep hes made this team.

This is exactly it...we are the only team in the league with the luxury of redshirting huge portions of our draft and the me generation webzone sees that as a bad thing. We have the luxury of letting guys develop without pushing them in before they are ready, of taking first round talents that are banged up and letting them heal for a year without hurting the product on the field and yet some how this is the halmark of a bad GM? Please, 98% of the league is envious. The two big things holding us back are Kap being a little up and down this year as he grows into the job, and widespread injury at the WR position. Sure we new about Manningham, but Bolden, Crabs, and Patton looked like a really nice place to start at the begining of camp. Sure we knew Jenkins was a bust, but Williams was an ok 4th reciever until Rio was ready. It wasnt until Crabs and Patton went down that all this hind sight 20/20 BS started regarding the WR position.
The best thing Baalke has done is proper internal evaluation. We have a system in place with such depth that we can afford to let players develop at their own pace and put them in a position to succeed once they do get onto the field. We're also in a position where we can evaluate our own talent and extend players before they reach the expensive FA market (Bowman, Brock, Davis, McDonald, Williams, etc.), while also letting overpaid players go and trusting the next man up or our draft (Goldson, RJF).

No one here would rather have Goldson (and his contract and suspensions) over Reid; no one here would rather have Jean-Francois over Dorsey and TJE. We'd like to have Walker, sure, but we're not going to pay two players #1 TE money.

Meanwhile, we have so many picks and so much roster and draft flexibility that we're not looking to plug an endless series of holes, like Washington or Jacksonville or even St. Louis.

The biggest "failure" has been a #2 WR behind Crabtree--obviously Baalke made a big move to get Boldin and Crabtree together but a freak injury spoiled that chance until now. Manningham is fine but is not a game-changer. Jenkins was a bust, no doubt, and Baldwin not much better. But I think this is an issue that tends to get overhyped and people overlook the other contributing factors--injuries, a developing QB, etc. But our roster, and our ability to deftly manage contracts and the cap and the draft, has made our FO the envy of the league.

In Baalke we trust.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
What a dumb ass thread.
"The real problem" got us to the nfccg, super bowl, and on the brink of another run. Just like in life, you have to put effort and time into something...it doesnt just magically fall in place over night.
The only position where he has completely whiffed is at WR. Then again, we don't know how Patton will turn out yet because of his injuries up till now. Baalke has plenty of chances next year to rectify that mistake going forward. Our team is still 9-4 and going to be a playoff team because of how strong the rest of the team has been. No way I would rather have anyone else as our GM going forward.
Originally posted by sspiker:
The best thing Baalke has done is proper internal evaluation. We have a system in place with such depth that we can afford to let players develop at their own pace and put them in a position to succeed once they do get onto the field. We're also in a position where we can evaluate our own talent and extend players before they reach the expensive FA market (Bowman, Brock, Davis, McDonald, Williams, etc.), while also letting overpaid players go and trusting the next man up or our draft (Goldson, RJF).

No one here would rather have Goldson (and his contract and suspensions) over Reid; no one here would rather have Jean-Francois over Dorsey and TJE. We'd like to have Walker, sure, but we're not going to pay two players #1 TE money.

Meanwhile, we have so many picks and so much roster and draft flexibility that we're not looking to plug an endless series of holes, like Washington or Jacksonville or even St. Louis.

The biggest "failure" has been a #2 WR behind Crabtree--obviously Baalke made a big move to get Boldin and Crabtree together but a freak injury spoiled that chance until now. Manningham is fine but is not a game-changer. Jenkins was a bust, no doubt, and Baldwin not much better. But I think this is an issue that tends to get overhyped and people overlook the other contributing factors--injuries, a developing QB, etc. But our roster, and our ability to deftly manage contracts and the cap and the draft, has made our FO the envy of the league.

In Baalke we trust.

Good post!
This thread is right on 1 point - 9ers are horrible WR evalutors. Part of that is they don't put much weight on drafting WR talent early. Maybe their player-personnel system has determined that early WR drafts are a low probability of success. Regardless, someone needs to identify a difference maker (speed and size included) and get them on the team.

But the bigger problem is the OC scheme and WR coach seem completely incapable of getting much out of the talent we have. I've said this over and over, the past routes are simple and lazy (big arcs, not sharp cuts), and the route combinations are highschool level (three receivers all arcing into the same area at different levels). If it wasn't for VD's athleticism and Boldin and Crab's ability to catch tight throws, other DCs must laugh out loud watching out passing game. Talk about making it easy on Seattle's DBs!!

MAYBE they are trying to keep it simple for the sophomore QB, but that is making it harder for him in my opinion because the routes are so easily covered, even if he reads them right nobody is OPEN.

We do LESS with MORE at WR - it is painful.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
This thread is right on 1 point - 9ers are horrible WR evalutors. Part of that is they don't put much weight on drafting WR talent early. Maybe their player-personnel system has determined that early WR drafts are a low probability of success. Regardless, someone needs to identify a difference maker (speed and size included) and get them on the team.

But the bigger problem is the OC scheme and WR coach seem completely incapable of getting much out of the talent we have. I've said this over and over, the past routes are simple and lazy (big arcs, not sharp cuts), and the route combinations are highschool level (three receivers all arcing into the same area at different levels). If it wasn't for VD's athleticism and Boldin and Crab's ability to catch tight throws, other DCs must laugh out loud watching out passing game. Talk about making it easy on Seattle's DBs!!

MAYBE they are trying to keep it simple for the sophomore QB, but that is making it harder for him in my opinion because the routes are so easily covered, even if he reads them right nobody is OPEN.

I wouldn't go that far.

They missed badly on AJ Jenkins. That's fair...but outside of that pick they really haven't invested much in the way of draft picks at the position. Just late round picks. We also don't yet know what Patton will develop into.

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
He has done nothing to shore up this offense through the draft since he became GM, especially at the wide receiver position where he has failed miserably. We are one injury away from completely losing our running game because the front office has failed to draft our future back in the last three years...Who is AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, and now Kap etc...The list goes on and on. Go look at the offensive playmaker personnel drafted since 2011..Name one offensive playmaker that has been drafted since 2011 that has made a significant impact on offense...

Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Gore are all pre-Balke...There is a bigger problem here people and it reaks from the GM office...We had 14 picks last year? 2012 was a joke...This isn;t a draft war room thread..This thead is made to point a finger at the GM who has made complete shambles of the offense.

maybe you should stick to gambling
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by HearstFan:

I wouldn't go that far.

They missed badly on AJ Jenkins. That's fair...but outside of that pick they really haven't invested much in the way of draft picks at the position. Just late round picks. We also don't yet know what Patton will develop into.

That's the point. You are always going to have the occasional miss. That doesn't mean you are incapable of assessing that position. He assessed Boldin ok! Jury is out on Patton. Meantime he continues to build one tough squad under the salary cap.

My hero!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
That's the point. You are always going to have the occasional miss. That doesn't mean you are incapable of assessing that position. He assessed Boldin ok! Jury is out on Patton. Meantime he continues to build one tough squad under the salary cap.

My hero!

he had one bad draft out of three and i hated the clark huggins, higgins haggans whoever the f**k he was last year. that is my list of concerns in regards to him
The stuff I read here sometimes amazes me.

Every team in the NFL has weaknesses. All of them. Our current GM drafted Aldon Smith, Navorro Bowman, and Mike Iupati. All three all All-Pros. He also drafted Colin Kaepernick, Anthony Davis, Bruce Miller and Eric Reid. He signed Donte Whitner and Carlos Rogers. He traded for Anquan Boldin. All of that is 4 years.

That is a STELLAR resume...and I'm not even talking yet about the players with smaller roles that he's selected. That doesn't include players who are effectively in a "redshirt" year this year. How much better might this year look with Marcus Lattimore, Tank Carradine, and even Chris Culliver next year. Oh by the way, they also have another bonanza of draft picks again NEXT year including 2 2nd rounders and 3 3rd rounders.

Yes, WR hasn't panned out yet. You don't hit on every pick. They are at best a 50-50 shot so you get as many picks as you can to maximize your chance at success and you cut bait when it's clear it's not working.

Do you guys think Walsh hit on every pick? He traded UP to draft Reggie McGrew. He signed Lawrence Phillips. He took Tood Shell and Terrance Flagler in the first round. Carmen Policy selected Dexter Carter, Dana Hall, Todd Kelly, and J.J. Stokes in the first round.

Sometimes you hit. Sometimes you miss. Taking 3 all-pros, a franchise QB in round 2, 3 more solid starters with pro bowl potential, and several more players who offer great depth is pretty damned good. If you can't see that, you are missing the point entirely.
all you guys who had better picks in mind for the jenkins pick, the tank pick, mcdonald etc. i've said it over and over again, forward the resume to jed, i'm sure he'll take it into consideration.
Share 49ersWebzone