LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Kendall Hunter

Shop 49ers game tickets
I like Kendall but this is actually a good move by the 49ers. Since he's out for the year and a freebie agent this move could save the 49ers money.
Originally posted by crabman82:
expiring contract so i disagree with shefty

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 48s
49ers signed RB Glenn Winston to 3-year deal. To make room on roster, SF has waived/injured RB Kendall Hunter. Gamble.

Yup. Don't see it as a gamble. 49ers are making a strong bet he clears waivers. Teams don't claim and then hand out extensions to injured RBs.

Either way, Hunter is not playing this year and he will be FA in the off-season. Better to clear a roster spot at this point.
Originally posted by schmons:
Patriots will claim him

Since he'll be an URFA at the end of the season, they would have no reason to do that (unless they want to sign him to a long-term deal right now & use a roster spot on him this year).
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Aug 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If they claimed him they would have to cut a healthy member of their 90 man roster to make room. Most teams wont do that especially going into the 1st preseason week, when everyone needs extra bodies.

90 man roster loaded with talent right? C'mon. There's plenty of fodder there. They can make room for a proven contributor for the 5 minutes it will take to waive Kendall, then put him on their IR.

If they waive him the they take the same risk we did all over again.
Lookin at this with all info taken into consideration, Paraage n Balke rape s**t yet again lol.

He sits out, heals, frees up a spot for us, AND we get first dibs on resignin him at a reduced rate? Lmao smh clever mfs work the s**t outta the system.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeah, but next year a new crop of RB's younger, stronger, maybe faster. It an uphill battle and the odds aren't great. Sydney rice and Eric Wright retired because of injuries and camp competition. Kyle and Braylon are out of the nfl. It's a brutal sport.

Kyle Williams is on the chiefs unless he was cut within the last week

Reports out of KC indicate Williams is having a very good camp. He had some very favorable things to say about the coaching staff and Andy Reid in particular.

f**k him

This.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If they claimed him they would have to cut a healthy member of their 90 man roster to make room. Most teams wont do that especially going into the 1st preseason week, when everyone needs extra bodies.

90 man roster loaded with talent right? C'mon. There's plenty of fodder there. They can make room for a proven contributor for the 5 minutes it will take to waive Kendall, then put him on their IR.

If they waive him the they take the same risk we did all over again.

Yep. Watch some team sign him and waive him, before that team can re-sign him another team signs him and waives him, then another team signs him..... You get the point.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Lookin at this with all info taken into consideration, Paraage n Balke rape s**t yet again lol.

He sits out, heals, frees up a spot for us, AND we get first dibs on resignin him at a reduced rate? Lmao smh clever mfs work the s**t outta the system.

Agree! although I still think there is a good chance Kendall won't be with us next year.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:

Agree! although I still think there is a good chance Kendall won't be with us next year.

You got a point. He could go alot of places on a prove it deal n be pretty good. He's far from a scrub.

Resigning here, depending on how things pan out, he'll have to go back to competeing or a #2 option. Somewhere else, he could possibly be a starter with a strong camp. He has waited for a chance to take Frank's spot, it didnt fall that way for him. So can I blame him if he bounces? Hell naw.
He will be back in 2015 in a niner uniform all these injuries will just lower his value and niners will sign him to a fair contract.

• Dodub
  • Veteran
I've been one of Hunter's biggest fans and I hate to see him go, I'm hoping he's brought back next season.
I would say good luck

but dudes gonna end up in seattle
I read somewhere that the Niners are hoping he clears waivers so they can bring him back directly onto IR.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnotBubbles:
I read somewhere that the Niners are hoping he clears waivers so they can bring him back directly onto IR.

Yeah basically once he clears waivers, which he likely will, he goes to IR and Niners get first crack at resigning him when he becomes a FA next spring.
I don't see any team claiming a guy who has had 2 significant leg injuries in the last 20 months or so, and doesn't have what it takes to be a RB1. He's going to end up on our IR tomorrow afternoon/evening.

However, if we do happen to lose Hunter, I'm not going to be terribly heartbroken. If we remove sentiment from the equation, he's an oft-injured, undersized RB who averages 6 carries per game over his career (declined in each year), 400 yards per season (also declined each year) who has not been used in the passing game (roughly 0.67 catches per game).

To me, that's an incredibly replaceable player on the field.

As for his clubhouse presence, from what I can tell he's just a guy. He hasn't been a problem, but he hasn't been a leader or presence either.

If we lose him, it's no big deal at all.
Share 49ersWebzone