There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Most Intriguing Player To Watch This Preseason?

Originally posted by tohara3:
Free safetys and wide receivers

This
Reid & the WR's
Though they will be playing vanilla offense and defense, they may give some tips on how they intend to play. Tighter DBs, more WRs and passing early, other?

McDonald and VD will change the TE formula, made necessary due to loss of Walker. McD will play a more traditional role, while VD will split out more and move more to force defenses into changes. We may not see this in preseason, but McD's play may tip off this tendency.

Other than that my choices would be how in sync the team is because individual play against second and third stringers from other teams will not really tell us much...can't really tell if they are going to beat up real NFL caliber guys.

NO MORE INJURIES! What I want to see most!
Reid, Jenkins, Asomugha
It might be quickly turning into AJ Jenkins. If he starts blowing up, that will be the biggest preseason story.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Though they will be playing vanilla offense and defense, they may give some tips on how they intend to play. Tighter DBs, more WRs and passing early, other?

McDonald and VD will change the TE formula, made necessary due to loss of Walker. McD will play a more traditional role, while VD will split out more and move more to force defenses into changes. We may not see this in preseason, but McD's play may tip off this tendency.

Other than that my choices would be how in sync the team is because individual play against second and third stringers from other teams will not really tell us much...can't really tell if they are going to beat up real NFL caliber guys.

NO MORE INJURIES! What I want to see most!

lol...this
Agree on McDonald...he's a beast, and by virtue of the fact they lined him up all over the place at Rice should translate into him being more pro-ready than most, especially for our offense. He's big, fast and I think will soon allow fans to forget Walker. I think he and Vernon could establish themselves as one of the top TE tandems in the league at some point this season.
Reid. So we can get an idea of how often we're gonna get burnt over the top.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Sorry but I can't pick just one. Here's my top 10 (no particular order).

1. Ian Williams - By all reports he has been blowing up TC. Is it hype or is he our new starting NT?

2. AJJ - Mixed reviews coming out of camp. I want to see how he looks out on the field

3. CB's - With Cully going down we now have a hole at CB that needs to be filled. With Namdi, Brock and Cox battling for a spot this should be interesting.

4. #3 QB battle - Most people has Colt slotted for the #2. Will Tolz hang on to his job or will the versatile B.J. Daniels wrest if from the Lord God King?

5. Vance - Heard lots of good things during rookie mini-camp and OTA's but the praise has simmered down a bit since pads went on. Can he replace Delanie?

6. LMJ's as PR - He was dismal as a PR last preseason. He has had a whole year and a lot of work under his belt since then, can't wait to see what he's got.

7. FS battle - I fully expect Reid to be the starting FS come regular season but Dahl and Spillman won't be going down without a fight.

8. ST's - After our less than stellar performance last year I'd like too see how these new ST's aces we have signed work out.

9. Center - Goodwin hasn't practiced all TC it seems. I'm expecting to see a heavy dose of Kilgore at C, looking forward to see how he handles the starting job.

10. Rookies - Best part of preseason for me. Getting a look at all the new guys and possible future stars. Will have a close eye on Lemonier and Okoye.

Same here...nice list. I have a bunch of individual players I'd like to add as well:

Offense:
QB: B.J. Daniels
RB: Jewel Hampton
FB: Jason Scheplar
X: Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Marlon Moore, Kassim Osgood, Quinton Patton
Y (SLOT): Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Lavelle Hawkins, Austin Collie
Z: Ricardo Lockette
TE: Vance McDonald, MarQueis Gray
LOT: Carter Bykowski, Luke Marquardt
C: Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney

Defense:
RDE: Demarcus Dobbs, Lawrence Okoye, (Tank Carradine)
LDE: (Quinton Dial)
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Lamar Divens
WILL: Cameron Johnson
SAM: Corey Lemonier
MIKE: Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
TED: Nathan Stupar, Dan Skuta
RCB: Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox
LCB: Tramaine Brock, Marcus Cooper
SLOT: Daryl Morris
NICKLE: Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox
FS: Eric Reid, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson
SS: Craig Dahl, Raymond "Bubba" Ventrone

Special Teams:
LS: Kevin McDermott
PR/KOR: LaMichael James, Kyle Williams
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Reid. So we can get an idea of how often we're gonna get burnt over the top.

If I'm reading these training camp reports correctly, the answer seems to be not very often when he's in the lineup. Reid is fast and has tremendous range.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Aug 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
this one's out of left field, but i'm going to say daniel kilgore.
he has to show that he has the goods to be a starting player. he hasn't done that yet. he has the athleticism and competitiveness, but he has lacked the bull-strength to control opponents. hopefully, he gets powerful enough to win blocks regularly.
Originally posted by xcfan:
this one's out of left field, but i'm going to say daniel kilgore.
he has to show that he has the goods to be a starting player. he hasn't done that yet. he has the athleticism and competitiveness, but he has lacked the bull-strength to control opponents. hopefully, he gets powerful enough to win blocks regularly.

Been wondering why Looney isn't being groomed more at C...seems like a natural fit. Then again, maybe he is and they feel good about him at C and want to see Kilgore? Has Goodwin showed up at all this off season?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Okoye is gonna lead the pre season in sacks

BOOK IT

Okoye is going to look like a little kid lost wandering the halls of K-Mart!
BOOK IT.
Patton has a gigantic opportunity. He HAS to cash in!
Everybody who is new to the team this year or didn't have significant playing time last year. And if Justin Smith is as good as he was before his injury last year.