There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

**Update Eric Wright signed to one year deal**

Went to see his family why not a big deal o would of done the same since nfl players dont get to see their family much during the regular season
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KegBert:
From Barrows new article:

The question is why the 49ers tapped Cox, who only had been signed six days earlier, instead of Wright, who had been with the 49ers longer. Wright did not play on defense; even in the dime packages, it was safety C.J. Spillman, not Wright, who entered the game.
One theory is that Cox is a bigger, more robust player than Wright and is a good tackler. If the Packers were going to run the ball with big, powerful Eddie Lacy when the 49ers were in the nickel formation -- which they did 21 times -- the 49ers may have thought they were better served having Cox in the game.
Another consideration may have been injury. Wright tweaked his hamstring and that Green Bay's frigid cold is terrible for muscle pulls. The forecast for Charlotte, N.C. Sunday calls for 64-degree temperatures with a 20 percent chance of rain. The 49ers certainly won't be in their nickel packages as much Sunday. But the warmer temperatures might mean that Carlos Rodgers, who also is dealing with a hamstring strain, could play.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/01/film-review-defensive-line-well-rested-and-it-shows-why-cox-was-tapped.html#storylink=cpy

Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by susweel:
so this dude lost his job to cox ?

seems they trust cox more. which makes sense, hes been with us for the better part of 2 seasons. guy was getting snaps as a dime back in last years nfc title game.

Sus....see the above quote.

Wright played less for a variety of reasonings which follow in no particular order.
- He did tweak his hammy on Thursday, widely reported but obviously not severe enough to hold him from testing it but sub freezing temps do not make good for injuries to muscles as strenuously used as hamstrings or other leg muscles.
- He's only been with this team for 1 year and spent much of the offseason and early portion of the regular season dealing with "personal matters"...which could coincidently have to do with the "loose ends" mentioned in the tweet.
- Cox has been in this system for the better part of 2 years, in a freakish hostile environment any coach would pick a player of comparable skill that has been around longer.
- Cox is bigger and a more sure tackler than Wright which is something that Barrows points out so add that to Wright's injury in any capacity and it becomes a no-brainer why Harbaugh/Fangio used Cox against such a pass heavy team and Cox could also put in an effort with tackling and keeping up with Lacy.

Nothing more than great personnel management regarding situational football.
Fangio on why Perrish Cox played Sunday instead of Eric Wright: "Perrish had a better week of preparation."

well then..what's the spin now from the wright defenders?
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by boast:

What a giant piece of s**t. Signing this f**king tool was such a mistake. I just knew we would f**k up again. Oh wait, did you say he was seeing his wife and kid in a day off? Never mind, then.

oh wait, did you say he was "injured"...this clown isn't committed, if he had a hammy injury he should be rehabbing on monday

he's a clown, got out played/prepared by cox when wright's big moment came up to step in for rogers he came up small and got beat out by cox

if that makes you feel great about having him come back next year...well, you have some low expectations

hope this clown is off the team he doesn't want it bad enough
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Fangio on why Perrish Cox played Sunday instead of Eric Wright: "Perrish had a better week of preparation."

People tend to be more prepared when they don't miss practice time due to injuries. Good for Cox coming in hungry and good for the coaches to allow competition for playing time. I still fail to see how this proves anything written in your angry rant against Wright in which you bumped this thread on Monday.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

People tend to be more prepared when they don't miss practice time due to injuries. Good for Cox coming in hungry and good for the coaches to allow competition for playing time. I still fail to see how this proves anything written in your angry rant against Wright in which you bumped this thread on Monday.

lol, knowing your assignments in the classroom can be done even if you have this over blown hammy injury...harbaugh said its nothing, fangio said tis nothing and they all said cox out prepared him and took the job

harbaugh even said mid week last week "we'll see who wants it more"...this after saying on monday that wrigh would start

they didn't see wright wanting it enough, guy blew his chance when carlos got hurt to step up and impress. cox did
Lol, this debate is f**king stupid.
Namdi and E. Wright were both low risk high reward signings. The off season will give us more clarity on what we're doing at CB. For now this is a non issue.
Cox coming on (yes i said) right is good news for us. He spent a minute in the Seattle Defense and played against the Offense on a daily basis...should help us out next week.
Carlos Rogers doesn't practice this week; unlikely to play Sunday

Carlos Rogers was continuing to rehabilitate his sore right hamstring while the rest of his teammates practiced this morning, signaling that the team's most experienced cornerback would miss his second straight game.

A day earlier, defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said Rogers would have to practice at least some this week in order to face the Panthers. Rogers has begun sprinting, but he hasn't practiced since suffering the injury on Dec. 29 in Arizona. Tarell Brown and Tramaine Brock are likely to start at cornerback with Perrish Cox entering in nickel situations.

The 49ers were in the nickel formation throughout Sunday's game against the Packers. They are expected to be in their base package against the Panthers, who are one of only three teams - the 49ers and Seahawks are the others - to have run the ball more than they've passed it this season. The 49ers were in their base package on 65 percent of the snaps in the teams' Nov. 10 meeting.

Rogers previously had not missed a game since joining the 49ers in 2011. The 49ers are hoping that, with a win, he can be back for the NFC Championship game, which either would be held in Seattle or atCandlestick Park. For the Panthers, receiver Steve Smith (knee) has been limited in practice during the week, and said on Thursday he is not yet at full speed.

-- Matt Barrows

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/01/carlos-rogers-doesnt-practice-this-week-unlikely-to-play-sunday.html#storylink=cpy

Not so sure about Wright being back with the team next year let alone being one of the starting cornerbacks.......................
Wright is a solid CB ...I'm surprised some people wanna throw him under the bus ?? ..the guy got hurt in practice, Fangio didnt want an injured DB in the lineup against one of the most dangerous pocket passers in the League ...lets not pack his bags for him yet
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Wright is a solid CB ...I'm surprised some people wanna throw him under the bus ?? ..the guy got hurt in practice, Fangio didnt want an injured DB in the lineup against one of the most dangerous pocket passers in the League ...lets not pack his bags for him yet

Welcome to Overreaction Central.

what spin does there need to be? cox and wright are pretty comparable in talent level. cox spent almost 2 years in the system, its not a huge surprise he leap frogged wright last week for snaps. especially since wrights hammy tightened up.

Well of course Cox had a better week of preparation, Wright was dinged up. Makes perfect sense to me. At first I was a little taken aback with Harbaughs comments, but I really don't think it's anymore than this.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Well of course Cox had a better week of preparation, Wright was dinged up. Makes perfect sense to me. At first I was a little taken aback with Harbaughs comments, but I really don't think it's anymore than this.

lets be honest, if it were some other cb we had signed who had not been with us previously, then yeah it would be a shock that wright got leap frogged. seeing as though it was cox, i wasnt surprised, this guy got key snaps in the nfc title game last year on atlantas last drive. i dont think he is all world or anything, but he he is used to being in our system, even more so than wright.