LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Is there something wrong with our training staff?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jiks
Does it have to do with all these supliments?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by buck:
What is this about? Who are the players on the team that are partying and getting 2 hours of sleep the night before a practice?

Who would know this? There's plenty of items in the news that would lead one to infer the level of maturity isn't high for some twenty-something millionaires on the team (though not necessarily better or worse than other teams). The point is, when non-contact injuries happen, you look to see where is the player with regard to the basics -- nutrition, recovery, flexibility. There's often a correlation.

I hesitate to draw inferences when I lack any viable information from which I could draw any inferences.

I did go to the 49ers web page and looked at the biographies of the trainers.

If I remember correctly, one has a doctors degree and three have master's.
They all have a good deal of experience and two of have won professional awards in the field.

I concluded that they were qualified, capable professionals.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by olapac:
I don't think ACL tears are an indictment on our training staff. Those types of injuries are random and shouldn't be looked at as a sign that the player, training staff, or coaches are doing anything wrong. It's just bad luck.

Let me also add - if I recall correctly, we've had a major injury occur to a starter or major contributor in every TC for the past few years.
2012 - Parys Haralson
2011 - Nate Byham
2010 - Scott McKillop

It sucks, but it happens. Luckily, those injuries haven't slowed us down and I expect the same to happen this year.

Haralson wasn't in TC it was during the Broncos preseason game.....

Wow my first post in months was that.....
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I doubt its the training staff, i would guess its the players just training hard and pushing there limits.

Muscles get bigger and stronger, and generate more power. Will pushes the muscles to maximum exertion. The joints can not handle the generated power.

Just my theory. I have no idea if it has any basis.

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Juice of Sapphu that my thoughts acquire speed, my lips acquire stain, the stain becomes a warning. It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
We seem to have a lot of injuries both minor and major. It was brought up that Patrick Willis has broken his right hand 3/6 years in the league. Isn't it the training staffs job to do something about it after the first time??

It seems every year we have a catastrophic injury at receiver with manningham Williams and crab. And don't forget Brandon carswell who I believe we waived. I know he wasn't here long but I'm thinking it had something to do with the way the trainers prepare these guys

Fleming and now cully go down with acl's. wtf is going on?
Played LB is High School and College, your hands take a beating, smashed between helmets, caught in face masks, stepped on, etc,etc. Nothing has changed protection wise in decades, tape, pads and splints, etc. The problem is anything used to protect the hands will limit the effectiveness of your play. Any tape or pads on the fingers or hands limits your ability to hold onto a fumble, intercept a pass, tackle or grab an opposing player. The most effective way to play is bare handed, but also the most risky.
Originally posted by BobS:
Played LB is High School and College, your hands take a beating, smashed between helmets, caught in face masks, stepped on, etc,etc. Nothing has changed protection wise in decades, tape, pads and splints, etc. The problem is anything used to protect the hands will limit the effectiveness of your play. Any tape or pads on the fingers or hands limits your ability to hold onto a fumble, intercept a pass, tackle or grab an opposing player. The most effective way to play is bare handed, but also the most risky.

It never seemed to slow pat down i think in 07 he was in a cast and led the nfl in tackles and in 10 he had a cast again and was 10th in the league in tackles. I do agree though barehanded is the best way to play, i played db and i couldnt play in a cast but i damn well felt better with bare hands then even with gloves.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Aug 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM ]
Before you go off the deep end, check around the league...all teams are seeing injuries at this point in camp. I listen to The Fan, sports radio in Denver and everyday I hear about another Bronco who's dinged up. They just lost C Koppen for the season.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by LVJay:
It wouldn't hurt for some of these guys to stay in decent shape all yr round... do a lot of them just wait till camp starts and then they go all out when their bodies haven't done much for months

Jerry Rice could give them some advice...

Which 49ers do not stay in shape all year round or haven't done much for months? Please, give us names and details.

Well, notice this guy ()... I'm not really sure if that is the case, but unless JR was superhuman, why was he hardly ever injured?

I'm wondering if the type of conditioning in the off season plays a part with the body being ready for what TC puts one through.

Then again, could it just be (purely) unfortunate times

JR ran a lot, which helps with his endurance, which can help with feeling strong on your feet at all times, but I think the biggest thing, was that Rice had a natural feel for the game, and knew how to control himself and not get caught up in awkward angles etc.
Natural, for sure...
We are not going to have any guys left. This is the worst training camp I can remember.
Obvously Harbaugh is overworking them. He hasn't been an NFL coach for very long.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NFLBuddah:
Obvously Harbaugh is overworking them. He hasn't been an NFL coach for very long.

Yeah, I forgot that Harbaugh doesn't have that much NFL experience.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 3, 2013 at 3:42 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by spizzy:
We seem to have a lot of injuries both minor and major. It was brought up that Patrick Willis has broken his right hand 3/6 years in the league. Isn't it the training staffs job to do something about it after the first time??

It seems every year we have a catastrophic injury at receiver with manningham Williams and crab. And don't forget Brandon carswell who I believe we waived. I know he wasn't here long but I'm thinking it had something to do with the way the trainers prepare these guys

Fleming and now cully go down with acl's. wtf is going on?

I think it's because Willis likes to form tackle, the way coaches teach. The problem is that you wrap you hands around, and then from the other side, someone smashes their helmet right into your hand, it could be a lineman trying to push the pile, or an idiot defender trying to deliver a hit with his helmet, which actually causes more harm than good.
I hope it was a lineman and not some idiot on defense smashing Willis's hand for no reason.
It's just football, people.

So far the ONLY important guy who is out for the year is Culliver. Even Crabtree is expected to come back in the last half of the season. Guys who are dinged up can take days off now, but would play through the pain during the season.

Relax. We have a long way to go.
Guys get hurt mostly because in pro sports you have to push yourself harder and longer then you do in college etc and youre going up against the best in the world. Think about bow many guys are continually hurt in the pros but never were hurt in College.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Aug 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I'm not sure how it could be our TS if in 2011 and 2012 we had relatively few injuries. And it's not just our team, it seems players have been going down league rowund more than usual. Our depth will be tested this year.
Share 49ersWebzone