LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

McDonald: "Williams an Upgrade" - (We should know week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 5280High:
I think he will be an upgrade, Soap got NO pressure... ever, all he could do is tie up blockers which is why he only played 50% of the time. If Williams has enough burst to collapse the pocket on pass plays that he is in there for, it will make a world of difference by taking away the ability for a QB to step up and throw.

I wouldn't say ever, did you watch the playoff game vs Atlanta, he got push and penetrated the pocket a couple times. What Sopoaga did most of the time is control the A-gap, which is why the Run-D was pretty successful. Hopefully Williams and/or Dorsey are upgrades though, I hate to see teams just start running up the middle on this defense.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Goodwin, Kilgore, Boone, Iupati, Looney, .... any number of players. It's not like the NT goes up against the C every play.

Then cut them all. Cut the pushing sled, too. I hear it can't stand its ground.

I know the NT doesn't always go against the C. You a friend of Goodwin's or what? Just a joke.
Continue to hear great things about Williams

@TaylorPrice49 Ian Williams continues to be a beast at NT. On back-to-back plays he put Wayne Tribue on his back and then knocked off Joe Looney's helmet.
a really good thing about having the best O-line is that it gives our D-line serious competition so if ian Williams is beating these guys then you can imagine he is pretty good but I don't like to read too much into reports at the beginning of TC...too many players are praised at the beginning and then ride the pine all season.

Have any of the O-line guys praised ian?
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
camp reports say Ian Williams is consistently getting push against the OL.... if he's doing any of that against our world class first team, then

Sit him. Put him on the bike. He's proven enough already.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
a really good thing about having the best O-line is that it gives our D-line serious competition so if ian Williams is beating these guys then you can imagine he is pretty good but I don't like to read too much into reports at the beginning of TC...too many players are praised at the beginning and then ride the pine all season.

Have any of the O-line guys praised ian?

Ive read some praise by P-Willy and Ray Mac but cant recall if any O-line have said anything. I read a TC note that said he was a handful for Boone though.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
camp reports say Ian Williams is consistently getting push against the OL.... if he's doing any of that against our world class first team, then

Cut Goodwin now.

I mean...kut Goodwin nao!!

No really, great to hear Williams embracing his opportunity. Baalke knew Soap was going to be departing and found his successor.

and our NT situation has to do with our C situation, how?

Does this poster know that Goodwin hasn't been practicing much?
Share 49ersWebzone