There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

McDonald: "Williams an Upgrade" - (We should know week 2)

M.Lynch vs. the 49ers run D
I want to know week 1. Rodgers vs 49ers D
Should know by the first 3 season games how he will do against the run. Broncos, Chiefs, and Vikings all have good run game. I don't expect him to struggle, but we will know very quickly if he does, even with preseason vanilla offenses. I remembered when they tried out Anthony Adams at NT in the preseason some years ago. And Soap early in his career. We got steam rolled.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I want to know week 1. Rodgers vs 49ers D

Part of the job for a NT is to keep run blockers off the ILBs.

GB's run game will still be average at best. Did you see how fat Lacy looks?
Originally posted by AtlantaGA:
Part of the job for a NT is to keep run blockers off the ILBs.

GB's run game will still be average at best. Did you see how fat Lacy looks?

Damn!
I think he will be an upgrade, Soap got NO pressure... ever, all he could do is tie up blockers which is why he only played 50% of the time. If Williams has enough burst to collapse the pocket on pass plays that he is in there for, it will make a world of difference by taking away the ability for a QB to step up and throw.
Originally posted by AtlantaGA:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I want to know week 1. Rodgers vs 49ers D

Part of the job for a NT is to keep run blockers off the ILBs.

GB's run game will still be average at best. Did you see how fat Lacy looks?

that was camera trickery.
Originally posted by 5280High:
I think he will be an upgrade, Soap got NO pressure... ever, all he could do is tie up blockers which is why he only played 50% of the time. If Williams has enough burst to collapse the pocket on pass plays that he is in there for, it will make a world of difference by taking away the ability for a QB to step up and throw.

Yea, that's true. We need more pressure up the middle.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by 5280High:
I think he will be an upgrade, Soap got NO pressure... ever, all he could do is tie up blockers which is why he only played 50% of the time. If Williams has enough burst to collapse the pocket on pass plays that he is in there for, it will make a world of difference by taking away the ability for a QB to step up and throw.

Yea, that's true. We need more pressure up the middle.

Thats usually all the NT is required to do. Tie up blockers and keep them off the 2 ilb's who make the plays.
Williams was best at plugging a whole and being a anchor on defense. He was immovable , he didnt penetrate much in college but was never moved back either. (from what ive read)
I think he will be a solid anchor and lets HOPE he can get some push up the middle as well.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 947
Soap peaked in 2011 and disappeared at times in 2012. He's 32 years old.

Personally, I love the guy and wish him well in the future, but I think the 49ers made this move at the right time and I expect Williams/Dorsey to be an upgrade over Sopoaga/Jean Francois.
camp reports say Ian Williams is consistently getting push against the OL.... if he's doing any of that against our world class first team, then
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
camp reports say Ian Williams is consistently getting push against the OL.... if he's doing any of that against our world class first team, then

Cut Goodwin now.

I mean...kut Goodwin nao!!

No really, great to hear Williams embracing his opportunity. Baalke knew Soap was going to be departing and found his successor.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
camp reports say Ian Williams is consistently getting push against the OL.... if he's doing any of that against our world class first team, then

Cut Goodwin now.

I mean...kut Goodwin nao!!

No really, great to hear Williams embracing his opportunity. Baalke knew Soap was going to be departing and found his successor.

and our NT situation has to do with our C situation, how?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
and our NT situation has to do with our C situation, how?

If Ian Williams is getting push up the middle, who is he pushing up the middle?
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
and our NT situation has to do with our C situation, how?

If Ian Williams is getting push up the middle, who is he pushing up the middle?

Goodwin, Kilgore, Boone, Iupati, Looney, .... any number of players. It's not like the NT goes up against the C every play.