LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

WR Laurent Robinson is working out for the #49ers tomorrow

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Signing him could only help. As of now, we have one of the worst WR corps in the league.

people will laugh at that, but it's true. we need our tight ends at the fore in order to give our passing game legitimacy.
we have a very good #2 in boldin--and nothing else. none of them have a legit game-day resume. we're just hoping they develop into playmakers.
if you fancy yourself a top-4 team in the nfl, you can't enter the reg season with that; you need proven playmaking before you start a reg-season game.

at least one more proven playmaker needs to be on this roster today.

Let's just say this, in order to cater to the usual group who don't agree with our view on the current crop of WRs, AJ Jenkins and so forth, instead of saying we have one of the worst receiving corps of the league, may be we can put it in another way which is easier on their palate - the 9ers' receiving corps is simply not regarded as one of the elite groups amongst the top of the league.

One way of guaging the strength of the receiving corps is to look at the combined performance and production of the No.1 and 2 wideouts of a team. That reminded me of a segment done on Total Access a few days back. They did exactly that and ranked the production of WR tandems since 2011, the top 5 teams are as follows :

1. Altanta Falcons - Roddy White & Julio Jones
  2. Detrot Lions - Calvin Johnson & Nate Burleson
  3. NY Giants - Victor Cruz & Hakeen Nicks
  4. New Orleans Saints - Marcus Colston & Lance Moore
  5. Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Wallace & Antonio Brown

I will attach the link of the clip here which will show you the numbers. (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000216985/Which-WR-duo-is-the-best-in-the-NFL)

Bottomline ? Let's just say the 9ers' receivers performance and numbers are far from the listed above. If the premise is we want to win the Super Bowl, I don't know, common sense tells may be we need to take a serious look at our receiving corps and make some deliberate moves going forward to make that required upgrade.
  • thl408
Why wasn't Robinson on any other team's radar? If the concussions are in the past, I would think he'd get signed by now. No risk, good reward if he can get a spot.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Rascal:
Signing him could only help. As of now, we have one of the worst WR corps in the league.

people will laugh at that, but it's true. we need our tight ends at the fore in order to give our passing game legitimacy.
we have a very good #2 in boldin--and nothing else. none of them have a legit game-day resume. we're just hoping they develop into playmakers.
if you fancy yourself a top-4 team in the nfl, you can't enter the reg season with that; you need proven playmaking before you start a reg-season game.

Let's just say this, in order to cater to the usual group who don't agree with our view on the current crop of WRs, AJ Jenkins and so forth, instead of saying we have one of the worst receiving corps of the league, may be we can put it in another way which is easier on their palate - the 9ers' receiving corps is simply not regarded as one of the elite groups amongst the top of the league.

One way of guaging the strength of the receiving corps is to look at the combined performance and production of the No.1 and 2 wideouts of a team. That reminded me of a segment done on Total Access a few days back. They did exactly that and ranked the production of WR tandems since 2011, the top 5 teams are as follows :

I will attach the link of the clip here which will show you the numbers. (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000216985/Which-WR-duo-is-the-best-in-the-NFL)

Bottomline ? Let's just say the 9ers' receivers performance and numbers are far from the listed above. If the premise is we want to win the Super Bowl, I don't know, common sense tells may be we need to take a serious look at our receiving corps and make some deliberate moves going forward to make that required upgrade.

WR has been a weakness on this team for years. Part of it is injuries and part of it is lack of talent. I suspect a bit of it may be coaching as well. I just don't see how a team can go through so many receivers and none of them even reach "average" levels.

Based on 2011, Robinson is worth the risk. With only Boldin as a reliable WR, Kaepernick is going to have to be some new kind of genius to make a passing game work with what is currently there.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Double post.
[ Edited by Rascal on Jul 31, 2013 at 9:46 PM ]

Rascal dude... you still don't get it. No one is saying we are 100% happy with our current crop of wide receivers. The issue is that your entire perspective on the matter is completely shortsighted.

You continue to say, "We need a big-bodied wide receiver and must do anything to get one." The problem is that there are only so many guys on the planet earth who can do the job, and if the 49ers could have found a practical way to get a receiver akin to the one you desire, they would have already. Like I said before, you are essentially the same as a Browns or Cardinals fan, yelling at anyone who will listen, "We need an elite, top-5 quarterback, and we must do anything to get one."

You don't think Jenkins is gonna pan out. I get that. I don't get why you want to cut him so quickly, especially when all but two of the 49ers receivers are currently hurt, but whatever. The fact is that there are people in the 49ers front office far more versed in the art of football than you who last year took the time to study and then select a kid they envisioned as being a solid contributor for the team. And your response to this is that, "Baalke gets cute sometimes." Sorry, but that's just stupid.

I just don't understand what your endgame is. We ALL want Calvin Johnson on this team. The problem is that those guys are hard to find. Earlier you mentioned you wished that the 49ers had somehow found a way to pick WR Stephen Hill, currently of the Jets, ignoring the fact that his struggles are almost identical to that of Jenkins. And Hill had far, far less college experience when compared to Jenkins. It's like you want the 49ers to recklessly gamble in the draft to fit exactly what YOU want. Would you be happy right now if we had swapped Jenkins for Hill? I don't think so, based on Hill's ongoing struggles with the Jets.

You don't think the front office has tried to find that stud? You don't think they would have taken a guy like that had they had the opportunity? You keep beating this drum like everyone is against you. We all support the "stud-WR-cause" man. Everyone supports it. But you keep trumpeting "AJ Jenkins time is almost up! Make room for the better players!" as if cutting or trading Jenkins is going to suddenly going to help that cause THAT much. You cut or trade AJ and then he could easily go ball for another team.

I just don't get it. You want to yell and scream for the team to move up next year and grab a top-tier wide out, that's fine. Go to the Draft War Room and go nuts. But you are acting like there are quick and easy solutions to this wide receiver problem... there aren't. And AJ Jenkins is your current punching bag for such things after only spending a year with the team.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jul 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM ]
I believe that we are making progress at addressing our pass catchers. We have Crabtree, Boldin and Mario and even though 2 of them are injured we did have at the start of the offseason 3 vets on this roster with big game experience and a history of producing in this league. 2 of those guys are champions. Then we spent 2 draft picks (1st and 4th) on WR and the plan this season was to let them continue to develop behind the vets while working AJ into the rotation a little bit more. This staff has done one of the best jobs in this league developing talent and I think that WR is a position that takes a couple seasons to lock down and because we had vets here with experience ahead of AJ he didn't see much field time. We drafted him at 30 because we had an obvious need to acquire and develop talent at WR.

I don't think they intended to start AJ year one with Moss on the roster and with bringing in Boldin this year, I think we intended AJ to be number 3. This staff believes in development unless you have an NFL ready talent that just has to see the field due to injury or talent like Aldon. Kaep wouldn't have even played if not for the injury to Alex Smith. Kaep was going to get his shot to compete for the job this summer. Let us be patient and hope for the best. That said, I believe we will draft high at WR again next year if we can't work out a long term deal with Crabtree. And hey, we still have an ideal situation at QB, OL, RB, and TE. WR is our only question mark and that is mostly due to unforeseen injury.

If our WRs were healthy do we not realize that we have 3 quality vets and at least 2 young talented draftees developing. This is a recurrent theme throughout our roster where we have talented vets starting with draft picks developing right behind them and taking their place upon departure. And to think we extend them before free agency when they haven't produced enough to warrant a huge deal then they outperform their extension. Meanwhile we have players behind them developing in due time. A lot of teams say they want to do this but we actually are. Give this thing time because in the long run if we stick to our plan, we will compete for a title every year this regime is in power.

Player development is what these guys are into as they have went on record saying. "If you are drafting players and they are starting year one then you are doing something wrong". Trent Baalke. (Goldson)

I posted this in the other thread
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Impressive Stats

I could not read the chart of the site very. It was only the screen for a short time. So, I went to nfl website and did the stats.
I only included the regular season stats.

I wanted to see how SF wide receivers compared, but those stats are only for the team's leading duos that have been together over the last two years. SF has not had its two leading receivers together for the last two years.

So to make the comparison, I used the stats from our two leading wide receivers, Crabtree and Boldin, for the last two years.
Even though, the comparison is not exact, it does provide some perspective on the quality of our top two wide receivers.

The chart linked only gave receiving yards. I included receptions and yards.

Falcons - White & Jones 325 4804

Lions - Johnson & Burleson 318 4642

Giants - Cruz & Nicks 297 4512

Saints - Colston & Moore 280 3965

Steelers - Wallace & Brown 271 3924

49ers--Crabtree & Boldin 279 3787

edit: When I look at these numbers, I realize they are better than I had imagined.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Impressive Stats

I could not read the chart of the site very. It was only the screen for a short time. So, I went to nfl website and did the stats.

I wanted to see how SF wide receivers compared, but those stats are only for the team's leading duos that have been together over the last two years. SF has not had its two leading receivers together for the last two years.

So to make the comparison, I used the stats from our two leading wide receivers, Crabtree and Boldin, for the last two years.
Even though, the comparison is not exact, it does provide some perspective on the quality of our top two wide receivers.

edit: When I look at these numbers, I realize they are better than I had imagined.

Now add to this what we get from our TEs and rushing attack and then we realize that not many had it better than us. We have a complete offensive attack when healthy

I agree we are struggling at WR, but come on. Boldin is one of the elite WR's in the game. So is Crabtree. Number two? What does that even mean?
Originally posted by buck:
Impressive Stats

Not only this, but we don't throw the ball anywhere near as often as the Falcons and Lions.

• buck
  • Veteran
The more I think about the comparison, the more valid it seems

Comparing the receptions and yards of the top two receivers is a valid comparison when one is comparing the quality of receivers.

Here are the differences in receptions and yards.

Atlanta 46 more 1017 more

Detroit 39 more 855 more

New York 18 more 725 more

NO 1 more 178 more

Pitts 8 less 137 more
With Vernon Davis and Kap on the field WRs should get open because you then have two athletes that you have to devote an extra defender to. This will definitely open other players up for significant gains. Then we have a rushing attack that devours anything less than 8 in the box. We just might be surprised this year after all.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 31, 2013 at 11:42 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Not only this, but we don't throw the ball anywhere near as often as the Falcons and Lions.

True, but Boldin's numbers are from the Ravens. The only immediate comparison that should be made is the quality of the top two wide receivers.

It also seems logical to think that with Crabtree's impending free agency and Boldin's age the team will have to acquire quality receivers in next year's draft and the following year's draft.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Why wasn't Robinson on any other team's radar? If the concussions are in the past, I would think he'd get signed by now. No risk, good reward if he can get a spot.

his brain is mush
Originally posted by YungBird:
I like this guy.

me too
he was good for a year
Share 49ersWebzone