There are 231 users in the forums

WR Laurent Robinson is working out for the #49ers tomorrow

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by buck:
Make no mistake the combined receiving numbers for Boldin and Crabtree can be misleading.

SF was 11th in overall offense, 4th in rushing offense, 11th in scoring offense, and only 23rd in passing offense.

Without a doubt, the 49ers passing attack needs improvement. But, pretending that the team has made no effort to improve is inane,

In the past two years, the team has added Manningham and Boldin. The team's play at quarterback has improved greatly. t

edit: I forget to mention that Baalke and Harbaugh have literally reconstructed our offensive line. Davis, Iupati, Boone, and Goodwin. 4/5 of the offensive line, are the Baalke/Harbaugh additions. And yes, the offensive line does have just a little to do with the passing game.

If you look at Baalke and Harbaugh's efforts to improve our passing solely through Jenkins-tinted-lenses, you vision is going to be substantially blurred.

At the same time, the list of top receiving tandems can be misleading.

Atlanta, which has the top wide receiver duo, was only 6th in passing offense.

Three of the top passing offense, Dallas at 3rd, New England at 4th, Denver at 5th, were not on the list of top five wide receiver tandems.

The Giants, 3rd on the top tandems list, was only 12th in passing offense and the Steelers, 5th on the list were 14th in passing offense.

I think the frustration comes from fans becoming more involved in the entire team process. How many fans get involved with mock drafts/college players every year? Way more than there used to be. SO--- when WR becomes a glaring team need, and the team makes no concerted efforts to improve this (with high picks of known quantities) then fans get upset...

case in point--- everyone mocked Ruben Randle to us 2 years ago because it was a need and he was slotted to go low 1 high 2... and we all know what happened... Randle is playing well and AJ cant stay on his feet...

I'm more into fixing it with volume. Kinda like when we picked Iupati and Davis in the first.... lets pick 2-3 WRs every damn year until someone sticks!!!

Very well said !! No doubt you fully understand our psyche and where we are coming from. It is exactly like the example you cited on Randle that upsets the fans. To say we know nothing just because we are lowly fans even when our speculations and concerns become reality is simply an insult.

I totally agree with you on the "volume approach" given our current hit rate on wideouts are so low makes perfect sense. I would say, a 1st rounder followed by a couple of mid to low rounders would be the way to go until we can resolve the recurring issues we face with the receiving corps. Last year we had the same conversation and now we are still having that same conversation, at some point it has to become tired.
I'm not hype on Llyod or Moss either. Give those reps to a guy that has a future in front of him. There is a reason why neither guy has been picked up.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
I had a x one time who would say things on purpose which were false against me but put me in a position where I felt I had to defend myself, naturally then she would accuse me of being defensive. If i get accused of something I know is just false or i know I never said or did, well then i do respond. I do agree with you, ever since this regime took over and did good things for us, it seems if you even offer up a small snippet of critical comments on the way they handled, lets say the backer thing last year when they brought in a guy they knew would be suspended for four games,,, you are attacked, you are accused of being a non fan and you automatically want to go back to nolan. i am sure its just a couple who feel that way but sometimes if you know you are right and you know what you are being accused of is false, you do have to defend yourself

I think your point on offering a small snippet of criticism is a bit exaggerated.

I have at various times directly criticized Harbaugh and way he deals with the press.

At one point, I even criticized the way he dealt with the idiocy of the Cohn sisters.

I was never attacked for those comments.

I have argued that the team should suspend one of my favorite players, Ahmad Brooks, for one or two games. No one has attacked me for that.

But, I do realize that if I were incessantly carping about Harbaugh's dealing with press, constantly using unsubstantiated innuendos to demean his professionalism, I would be subject to attack, and rightly so.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I had a x one time who would say things on purpose which were false against me but put me in a position where I felt I had to defend myself, naturally then she would accuse me of being defensive. If i get accused of something I know is just false or i know I never said or did, well then i do respond. I do agree with you, ever since this regime took over and did good things for us, it seems if you even offer up a small snippet of critical comments on the way they handled, lets say the backer thing last year when they brought in a guy they knew would be suspended for four games,,, you are attacked, you are accused of being a non fan and you automatically want to go back to nolan. i am sure its just a couple who feel that way but sometimes if you know you are right and you know what you are being accused of is false, you do have to defend yourself

I get what you are saying. I went through that before with these guys, but my experience tells me is futile. I ended up typing for hours after hours. Frankly, is senseless cos even when you are right you cannot reason with them. When they start slamming you, you have to know this is a discussion no more. But, you go ahead and fly the flag for us, may be we should be known as "cciowa & Co" instead !!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
I think your point on offering a small snippet of criticism is a bit exaggerated.

I have at various times directly criticized Harbaugh and way he deals with the press.

At one point, I even criticized the way he dealt with the idiocy of the Cohn sisters.

I was never attacked for those comments.

I have argued that the team should suspend one of my favorite players, Ahmad Brooks, for one or two games. No one has attacked me for that.

But, I do realize that if I were incessantly carping about Harbaugh's dealing with press, constantly using unsubstantiated innuendos to demean his professionalism, I would be subject to attack, and rightly so.
buck, you were never in my thoughts when i went on my rant i probably should not even had said it
  • buck
  • Veteran
buck, you were never in my thoughts when i went on my rant i probably should not even had said it

Rants are common, cathartic,eind generally acceptable means of communication in a forum.
These rants also help us maintain what is left of our sanity.

And, if nothng else, we are neighbors of a sort. I was born and raised in South Dakota.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
For you guys (Rascal & Cc) can I hear some reasonable suggestions about how to fix the perceived problems instead of just a rant? I think we will be fine with Boldin, Mario and Williams until Crabtrees is healthy. I also want to remind you fellas that wide receivers are the biggest gamble in the draft. They usually take a couple or three years to get up to speed, and indeed some never do. It is not as big a deal as some are making it, and acting like the coaching staff and front office of this team doesn't understand what is going on as well as you do is just plain deluded.

uhm, i have said sign robinson to get us through pre season. sure we may be "fine" later in the year but as of right now, we got three healthy wide outs with one of them on the wrong side of 30 and we have yet to even play a game. you sign robinson or someone like him who has a decent nfl resume and not some taxi squad bum. by the first game of the regular season you hope at least kyle is fine and at least two of the kids. if not or if robinson does well enuff in pre season to earn a spot you keep him. you are putting alot of words in my mouth, i have said i am glad to see the niners are doing something about this, i defended JH from a poster saying JH was to blame for this. I am sorry but as I said, you are down to three healthy wide outs, one on the wrong side of 30 and we have yet to play a pre season game,,,,, we are not "fine", its not tragic but it should be a concern to all. It must be a concern to JH and front office as reports say they are looking to sign this guy.

Very well said !! I have given up in replying to these ridiculous comments. To them, is very simple, if you are not Baalke and Harbaugh or work for the 9ers, aside from praises you are not qualified to say anything about the 9ers. This is total BS, this is a forum and by definition it is supposed to facilitate healthy discussions. As it turns out, Memphis9er & Co (since for some reason they like to refer us to Rascal & Co) just wants to turn the forum into some kind of a 49ers shrine. I have been supporting the 9ers since the early 80s, that doesn't mean I can't raise concerns or offer suggestions. Ever since I've stopped replying to them, I have actually found talking to like-minded guys like yourself and others a much more enjoyable experience. Honestly, I don't even bother to read what they have to write even when is directed to me.

Reading comprehension is wonderful, try it sometime. If you want to go on a silly tirade its your call, doesn't hurt my feelings at all, just makes you look silly. Rant on homies!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
lol at the desk GMs calling Jenkins a bust a week into camp. get real guys. we would have cut Kap with that line of thinking last year. he had a very sub par beginning to camp in '12.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Man I wish Manningham would hurry up and heal or this would be a non-issue.
  • thl408
Does anyone know how Robinson sustained his concussions? Was a matter of his QB hanging him out to dry (throwing balls high over the middle, giving the saftey a nice defenseless target)? Or did he sustain them from not being able to properly protect himself while getting yards after the catch? If it is the latter, then he has a good chance of getting more concussions.

• buck
  • Veteran
t
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Man I wish Manningham would hurry up and heal or this would be a non-issue.

Yep. His return would make the competition a battle to be the third wide receiver spot.

Although, I hope that he stays the course and comes back fully healthy.
Originally posted by boast:
lol at the desk GMs calling Jenkins a bust a week into camp. get real guys. we would have cut Kap with that line of thinking last year. he had a very sub par beginning to camp in '12.

this
Originally posted by Rascal:
For you guys (Rascal & Cc) can I hear some reasonable suggestions about how to fix the perceived problems instead of just a rant? I think we will be fine with Boldin, Mario and Williams until Crabtrees is healthy. I also want to remind you fellas that wide receivers are the biggest gamble in the draft. They usually take a couple or three years to get up to speed, and indeed some never do. It is not as big a deal as some are making it, and acting like the coaching staff and front office of this team doesn't understand what is going on as well as you do is just plain deluded.

uhm, i have said sign robinson to get us through pre season. sure we may be "fine" later in the year but as of right now, we got three healthy wide outs with one of them on the wrong side of 30 and we have yet to even play a game. you sign robinson or someone like him who has a decent nfl resume and not some taxi squad bum. by the first game of the regular season you hope at least kyle is fine and at least two of the kids. if not or if robinson does well enuff in pre season to earn a spot you keep him. you are putting alot of words in my mouth, i have said i am glad to see the niners are doing something about this, i defended JH from a poster saying JH was to blame for this. I am sorry but as I said, you are down to three healthy wide outs, one on the wrong side of 30 and we have yet to play a pre season game,,,,, we are not "fine", its not tragic but it should be a concern to all. It must be a concern to JH and front office as reports say they are looking to sign this guy.

Very well said !! I have given up in replying to these ridiculous comments. To them, is very simple, if you are not Baalke and Harbaugh or work for the 9ers, aside from praises you are not qualified to say anything about the 9ers. This is total BS, this is a forum and by definition it is supposed to facilitate healthy discussions. As it turns out, Memphis9er & Co (since for some reason they like to refer us to Rascal & Co) just wants to turn the forum into some kind of a 49ers shrine. I have been supporting the 9ers since the early 80s, that doesn't mean I can't raise concerns or offer suggestions. Ever since I've stopped replying to them, I have actually found talking to like-minded guys like yourself and others a much more enjoyable experience. Honestly, I don't even bother to read what they have to write even when is directed to me.

Reading comprehension is wonderful, try it sometime. If you want to go on a silly tirade its your call, doesn't hurt my feelings at all, just makes you look silly. Rant on homies!

+1

The problem with Rascal is that he believes certain things about the team that actually make sense, but then says baseless things to support that idea.

SOUND, LOGICAL IDEA: The 49ers need to draft an elite receiver (though again, I think the 49ers have made consistent efforts in this department)

THE CRAP HE SAYS AFTER:
"Sometimes Baalke gets cute when he drafts."
"I don't believe the 49ers have made real efforts to draft an elite receiver because it's not the guy I want & they haven't traded up to get a rare talent (Julio, Calvin)."
"AJ Jenkins' last chance should be these four preseason games because we need to make sure the best players are on the team."
"We should have drafted Stephen Hill."

Also completely ignoring the fact that the 49ers are a run-first football team, even moreso now with Kaep under center.

Like, we all support the "get an elite WR" notion. There's no one against that. The problem is that Rascal pretends the team hasn't been trying because the team hasn't moved up to get anyone sexy (Would grabbing Justin Blackmon been smart? Doesn't look that way at the moment). And now that over half the wideouts are injured, it's easy for him to point and exclaim, "See? I'm right! And AJ Jenkins is a bum!"

And while Jenkins may indeed turn out to be a bum, it's just plain bad luck that everyone is hurt. If Crabs, Boldin, & Manningham were all healthy and ready to go, it'd be a much happier place in Ninerland.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Aug 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM ]
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

this

that
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

this

that

those
Share 49ersWebzone