LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

49ers cut Darius Fleming, sign Travis Johnson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Heart goes out to Fleming, that's a tough break. I hope he can recover and start his career in football next season.
[ Edited by Buchy on Jul 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM ]
whats going on with Larry Grant? Did he get a suspension or something? I thought he filled in pretty well back when Willis was hurt
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It seems Fleming was just snake-bitten...couldn't catch a break. But, this is a performance league and if you can't get on the field, somebody will take your place. Johnson is a kid I was hoping they'd either draft or sign as an UDFA. The kid can play...and now will get a chance to prove it. I feel for Fleming, but this is a great opportunity for Travis.

Well said. I was hoping the Niners would sign Johnson in free agency and now the kid has his shot. I know Johnson was a good OLB with pass rush skills who might be asked to move inside and play special teams if he wants to make the roster. Best of luck, Travis!
cooold blooded
Originally posted by Buchy:
Heart goes out to Fleming, that's a tough break. I hope he can recover and start his career in football next season.

i think that ship has sailed
I mentioned yesterday I figured Fleming would either get cut because he can't stay healthy or he'd go to the PUP/IR and we would try it again next year. He was a 5th round pick 2 years back so it's not too big of a deal. If he didn't keep getting hurt he would have likely been with the team this year. Leaves us with Wilhoite who did really well on ST last year in the few games he played and Moody at #3 and #4 ILB. Both should do really well on ST and if needed Wilhoite would probably be the #3 ILB. Seems unlikely Johnson or Stupar will be able to win a spot, they will probably play for 1 PS spot. Still no idea how OLB will fall with Aldon, Ahmad, Haralson, Lemonier as locks IMO and then Skuta and/or Johnson fighting for the #5 spot. Unlikely we keep 6.

Edit: Sounds like we will try again next year with him. Think I'd rather just move on. So early on in his 1st off season he tears an acl, then a few months ago he tweaks a knee and now he tears another ACL. We must like his potential if we put him on IR and try again next year.

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN
If Darius Fleming clears waivers, as expected, he'll revert back to IR with the 49ers and make split salary of $303,000.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM ]
Originally posted by d49izme:
whats going on with Larry Grant? Did he get a suspension or something? I thought he filled in pretty well back when Willis was hurt

He's not on the team.
I thought it was ust a matter of time when I read he reinjured himself in OTA's.

Tough break - I hope he got his college diploma cause it seems Pro Football won't be his day job.

Best of luck Darius and please bring it Johnson.
championsh!t
Luck of the Irish my ass

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by d49izme:

He's not on the team.

I was a big fan of Grant, he was great as a backup.
Grant will be suspended for the first 4 games of the season and is still a free agent. Seems like the team has moved on but on the very slim chance we would sign him I would think we would wait until week 5 otherwise we would be wasting a roster spot the first 4 weeks.
Travis!
Travis Johnson is my cousin! wooo! Got the text last night nothing but high hopes for him the kid can ball!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Grant will be suspended for the first 4 games of the season and is still a free agent. Seems like the team has moved on but on the very slim chance we would sign him I would think we would wait until week 5 otherwise we would be wasting a roster spot the first 4 weeks.

agreed, but he's more talented than the 4 backups we have. (Stupar, Moody, Wilhoit, and Skuta)
Share 49ersWebzone