Joe Looney?

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by LVJay:
THIS!!

media's comments are nursery rhymes compared to how (some in here "pegged" him)

You know how some in here are though. There so dead set on an imaginary image for this team, that they fail to recognize there are alot of players on this team that dont quite uphold that image.

True! And some may have other reasons...

And don't count out the douchebags (STUPID fans of another team) that made fake Niner accounts and pretending to be Niner fans in here just so they can spew crap/stir the pot... disgusting, low life cowards they are

True, personally I saw this play as more of an accident or dumb mistake on Looney's behalf, to me a cheap shot is more of a hit with malicious intent.

I hear ya... he can't let that happen, again. He'll be crucified if he does, especially after that bad play.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
To me the block looked like it came from a guy who was totally gassed, ready to put his hands on his thighs, bend over and take a breather. I think he blocked the only way his tired old body could...by literally falling over...unfortunately into a very good player's knees. I am hoping it looked a lot worse than it was, and hope he has a speedy and complete recovery.

Admittedly, that's the way it looked to me also.
But he needs to get his fat a$$ in shape. He's a professional getting paid handsomely and he doesn't take the time to get in playing shape. I cannot root for this guy.
Originally posted by lamontb:
That was a crap play from Looney

I agree, but was it a legal block?
Legal or what its still a dirty play and it should've never happened. I see a lot of zoners making excuses for this guy but a dirty play is a dirty play, period. How would you guys feel if another player from another team did this to Justin Smith? Ya'll be whinning like its the end of the world. I'm a diehard Niner fan but I dont wish injuries on any player, including players from other teams. I played the game to know how injuries can change your life instantly.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Aug 27, 2013 at 2:08 AM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Legal or what its still a dirty play and it should've never happened. I see a lot of zoners making excuses for this guy but a dirty play is a dirty play, period. How would you guys feel if another player from another team did this to Justin Smith? Ya'll be whinning like its the end of the world. I'm a diehard Niner fan but I dont wish injuries on any player, including players from other teams. I played the game to know how injuries can change your life instantly.

Legal but extremely dirty. But this is what happens when the league forces players to block low. We will see many more hits like this as long as the league fines/penalizes players for head shots.
very dirty hit. Lost all respect for the dude. Ive never seen someone dive at someones knee like that especially so far from the play
Joe Looney had all last year nursing that foot to get his fat sloppy a$$ in playing shape to make this difficult to crack roster. Instead he shows up looking barely adequate. Then he does this lazy sh!t. Disgusting. You have to be more respectful to fellow players
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
very dirty hit. Lost all respect for the dude. Ive never seen someone dive at someones knee like that especially so far from the play

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Joe Looney had all last year nursing that foot to get his fat sloppy a$$ in playing shape to make this difficult to crack roster. Instead he shows up looking barely adequate. Then he does this lazy sh!t. Disgusting. You have to be more respectful to fellow players

These!

What a cheap shot artist this damn clown is! Why would u dive at a guy's knee in that situation? DIRTY pos!!
True, personally I saw this play as more of an accident or dumb mistake on Looney's behalf, to me a cheap shot is more of a hit with malicious intent.

I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Just because he isn't intentionally trying to hurt the player doesn't excuse him laying a block that has the potential to cause a serious injury. He was an underachieving player fighting for a position on the team that was using every advantage or means at his disposal and damn the affect on someone else. Purely an act of a desperate individual.

The BS rational that the league outlawing high hits is responsible just doesn't fly in this case. Right he was trying to avoid a helmet to helmet hit.There is far to much difference between the location of the head and the shin to rationalize that excuse.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Manningham would disagree!
Why are you guys calling it dirty? What specific part of the play was dirty?

He hit him from the front...not the back. That part wasn't dirty

The block itself may have been low (i.e., a "cut block") but it was also perfectly legal in the NFL. Cut blocks are used to stop people who are bigger and more powerful than you.

IMO the only questionable part is the block got Kevin Williams' knee. Cut blocks tend to hit the thigh/knee area. I guess you could argue the cut block should have gone at the other leg b/c it was closer to the ballcarrier.

The perceived severity of the block is mostly due to the fact Williams wasn't looking. KW own quote says "I was just upset that I'm getting cut [after] 11 years in [the NFL]" and "he cut me when I wasn't looking."

That isn't Looney's fault. They were almost in the middle of the field and before the LMJ cutback KW had the angle to cut him off.

The dirty complaint seems due to the result (i.e., potential injury) and the fact an established NFL vet feels he shouldn't be cut block.

From what I can see the only thing you can call "dirty" (i.e., fact the block hit his knee badly) is due to Kevin Williams not paying attention. Looney appears to hold up on the block at the end and doesn't "fire through" which probably saved KW knee from being obliterated.

This unfortunate play mostly looks like bad luck and a difference in effort due to preseason while a play is active. If they want to see dirty play they can put up film of Khalil from the same game.

Glad KW doesn't appear to be severely hurt and moving on
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM ]
Can anyone post a gif or quick vid of the play in question?
Originally posted by sacniner:

If someone does edit it make sure to include the play sequence before the actual block to put it in context.

LMJ changes direction like 3 times during the run. The still image shot as the block hits doesn't do accurately reflect the play
I dunno.

I think one play, not even an illegal play, shouldn't be the reason that for his entire career to be called a dirty player.

Yet, the rest of the NFL world was screaming. Which wouldn't have happened if it was truly clean.

Also, given Williams isn't hurt bad enough to miss a game, this will blow over soon (until we face the Vikes and Looney happens to get on the field)

Reminds me too much of Snyder and Bass, they were #2 & #3 (like Looney), but were backups toooooo long. Not great investment.

PS Mike Sando had an interesting take on this (ESPN NFC West), initially he was upset, but thought later not as "dirty" as he thought.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Aug 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM ]
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by sacniner:

If someone does edit it make sure to include the play sequence before the actual block to put it in context.

LMJ changes direction like 3 times during the run. The still image shot as the block hits doesn't do accurately reflect the play

regardless, he could've just stood in front of him and got an effective block in the situation. Not a single reason to basically dive into the guys knee. I hope harbaugh throws his ass off the team. b***h move.