There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Looney?

We're not hearing a lot about him because Harbaugh wanted Goodwin for one more season to keep the starting O-line intact. However, that doesn't mean he's a forgotten man at all...I still say he's got a great shot at replacing JG...because he could be an absolute beast at C, reminiscent of Newberry.
Everyone had high hopes for Looney, but he hasn't looked that good in preseason. It looks like Snyder and Kilgore would get the first call if any one of the starters went down.
How has he not looked good? Have heard it from a few people on here but not sure what evidence there is besides for a holding call.
Who wants to bet we go back to drafting more OG's next year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,547
Originally posted by jreff22:
Who wants to bet we go back to drafting more OG's next year.

I would say another offense tackle might be a higher priority.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Who wants to bet we go back to drafting more OG's next year.

I would say another offense tackle might be a higher priority.
You would think so but for some reason we keep drafting guards
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,997
Anonymous: So, coach, what's the deal with this Looney Toons cat?

Harbaugh: Calm down, Looney stays, he's not going anywhere.....
Originally posted by ninergold:
Everyone had high hopes for Looney, but he hasn't looked that good in preseason. It looks like Snyder and Kilgore would get the first call if any one of the starters went down.


I looked at the game again and focused entirely on the O-line, especially Kilgore, Looney, Snyder and Bykowski. Looney looks VERY good as a LG, but not very good as a center.
Looney looked good against their first string, he can move his feet well and was pushing a lot of guys around both in pass protection and run blocking, but especially in pass protection.
They later played him at center and it doesn't look like he is made for that position. He is definitely a good backup LG.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ninergold:
Everyone had high hopes for Looney, but he hasn't looked that good in preseason. It looks like Snyder and Kilgore would get the first call if any one of the starters went down.


I looked at the game again and focused entirely on the O-line, especially Kilgore, Looney, Snyder and Bykowski. Looney looks VERY good as a LG, but not very good as a center.
Looney looked good against their first string, he can move his feet well and was pushing a lot of guys around both in pass protection and run blocking, but especially in pass protection.
They later played him at center and it doesn't look like he is made for that position. He is definitely a good backup LG.
Well there you have it, maybe. Another potential starter from the 2011 draft class in Kilgore and a solid backup from the 2012 class in Looney. Not bad. It's going to be pretty hard to crack the starting lineup as a lineman on this team.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 16,695
Really disappointed in his decision to fall at the knees of a defender. He may have just been off-balance, but it didn't look good. I was really hoping he would solidify himself as the 8th lineman.
Looney should make the team, he is, sad as it is, the best remaining OL behind the top 7(Goodwin, Kilgore, Snyder, Boone, Davis, Staley, and Iupati). No other OL is worth a roster spot. Omameh is terrible, Wiggins had 1 or 2 penalties. Netter I haven't seen play, Tribue is a PS guy. Bykowski maybe. Wish Marquardt was healthy.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,359
we gotta quit drafting o-tackles in the 6th and 7th; it's a waste of time. these guys are physically inferior.
Originally posted by xcfan:
we gotta quit drafting o-tackles in the 6th and 7th; it's a waste of time. these guys are physically inferior.

When you draft players that late, either they're a project or injured. Bykowski will land on the practice squad if he has shown any potential.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Looney should make the team, he is, sad as it is, the best remaining OL behind the top 7(Goodwin, Kilgore, Snyder, Boone, Davis, Staley, and Iupati). No other OL is worth a roster spot. Omameh is terrible, Wiggins had 1 or 2 penalties. Netter I haven't seen play, Tribue is a PS guy. Bykowski maybe. Wish Marquardt was healthy.

Outside of Kilgore all the backups are garbage and should be replaced.
dirty.