LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Joe Looney?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I would but I freshly deleted it from my DVR. Maybe I'll buy nfl preseason rewind and do it.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
I would but I freshly deleted it from my DVR. Maybe I'll buy nfl preseason rewind and do it.

It's OK...that was a great game to assess run blocking and some blitz pickup. Next we'll be able to assess pass protection against Denver's pass rushers.
Nice. Looney talking a little trash in-game. Like that confidence. Staley telling him this is his chance.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Ian-Williams-Seeks-to-Replace-Glenn-Dorsey-at-Nose-Tackle/516947e1-6345-4609-b0ab-3a134ea4377f
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by crake49:
Truth...mentally and snapping, I think he's looked very good. I was speaking more generally, in that most of the reports about him are so good you'd think he'd be absolutely dominating the C position. And I thought that until I rewatched the OL against the Ravens. So is Kilgore fixed at C? I'm not so sure that's the case. In fact, I'd like to see quite a few snaps from Marcus Martin before this pre season is over for two reasons 1) to push Kilgore and 2) to ensure we have a viable backup should Kilgore go down. The thing that scared me about Kilgore was that he was physically getting blown backwards a lot against the run and in pass protection. He has the smarts and athleticism, but does he have the strength and size to face the big boys like Ngata and Williams inside? If not, Gore and Hyde are going to have to become "bounce" machines.

Based purely on an "eye test," Marcus Martin looks like he should be a lot stronger. The guy is a beast. As far as Kilgore is concerned, the good news is that every team does not have a couple of tree stumps like Ngata and Williams sitting there in the middle.

Martin seems special to me as well (esp. his size/strength and technique) but obviously he has a long ways to go getting this offense down and all the correct line adjustments. Sadly, that's just going to take quite a bit of time.

And you are so right...those two are not only tree trunks but quick, moving tree trunks. I'd be stoked to have either as our NT
!

I just don't think we're that kind of a defense. I just don't see this front office investing high round draft picks on the NT position. Haloti is a first round pick and Williams is a 3rd rounder. Ian and Dial are UDFA and a 5th rounder respectively. We tend to invest high round picks at the linebacker/DE position rather than the DT/NT position.
[ Edited by Giedi on Aug 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by crake49:
Truth...mentally and snapping, I think he's looked very good. I was speaking more generally, in that most of the reports about him are so good you'd think he'd be absolutely dominating the C position. And I thought that until I rewatched the OL against the Ravens. So is Kilgore fixed at C? I'm not so sure that's the case. In fact, I'd like to see quite a few snaps from Marcus Martin before this pre season is over for two reasons 1) to push Kilgore and 2) to ensure we have a viable backup should Kilgore go down. The thing that scared me about Kilgore was that he was physically getting blown backwards a lot against the run and in pass protection. He has the smarts and athleticism, but does he have the strength and size to face the big boys like Ngata and Williams inside? If not, Gore and Hyde are going to have to become "bounce" machines.

Based purely on an "eye test," Marcus Martin looks like he should be a lot stronger. The guy is a beast. As far as Kilgore is concerned, the good news is that every team does not have a couple of tree stumps like Ngata and Williams sitting there in the middle.

Martin seems special to me as well (esp. his size/strength and technique) but obviously he has a long ways to go getting this offense down and all the correct line adjustments. Sadly, that's just going to take quite a bit of time.

And you are so right...those two are not only tree trunks but quick, moving tree trunks. I'd be stoked to have either as our NT
!

I just don't think we're that kind of a defense. I just don't see this front office investing high round draft picks on the NT position. Haloti is a first round pick and Williams is a 3rd rounder. Ian and Dial are UDFA and a 5th rounder respectively. We tend to invest high round picks at the linebacker/DE position rather than the DT/NT position.

This is clearly true. That said we don't need a 1st rounder per se but a clogger.
bunch of Ba-Looney
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
bunch of Ba-Looney

Kind of funny. Looney is a goofball (ala Staley) so the term, Looney Toons always pops in my mind.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
I just read a lengthy Joe Looney film study. Everyone interested should take a look.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/8/15/5997421/joe-looney-film-study-49ers-ravens-preseason-game

Thoughts ?
[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
I just read a lengthy Joe Looney film study. Everyone interested should take a look.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/8/15/5997421/joe-looney-film-study-49ers-ravens-preseason-game

Thoughts ?

Hell yes! I challenged NN to do some film study b/c their original report was the same MB media dribble that got tossed around as fact...much props to them for man-ing up and doing their own h/w and film study. And guess what? We came to the exact same conclusions!

Summary:

After looking at all the plays Joe Looney had in the game, I wouldn't be overly concerned with him starting for us. In my mind he's an able pass protector who's probably a net neutral in run blocking. He did have a fairly egregious play on the last play of the first drive on 3rd and 1 on the Ravens six yard line. He simply didn't get his pad level low enough against NT Brandon Williams and lost all leverage allowing Williams to throw him aside and get into the backfield for the tackle. But he did have some good plays like standing-up Haloti Ngata a few times in pass protection. He does lack some situational awareness that I think comes down to lack of real game experience. All in all I think its been highly exaggerated that Joe Looney had a bad game, he didn't. He didn't shine in his chance to take a starting job, but he also didn't disappoint.

I know this is supposed to be a study of Joe Looney, but other Offensive Linemen stood out, and not in a good way. The players around Looney, Daniel Kilgore starting at Center and Jonathan Martin starting at Right Tackle and moving to Left, had bad to terrible games. Kilgore just isn't strong enough to hold up for long in pass protection. He was constantly being pushed around by the Ravens starting NT Brandon Williams and had a play or two where Ngata just made an absolute rag doll of him. And Jonathan Martin couldn't hold a block to save his life. The defenders he was supposed to block almost always seemed to be involved in the play somehow. I would hope that rookie Marcus Martin can get up to speed on the offense fast enough to supplant Kilgore as soon as possible. I'd also be worried if Martin were to make the roster as the primary swing-tackle.

IMHO, the best to worst re: the OL was as followed: Staley - Looney/Martin/Seymour - Iupati - Kilgore (both were poor).

I think it's important to note when assessing individual play, the players who started next to them. In this case, it was Kilgore and Martin for the most part. And to put that into perspective, Martin was by far the better player (as was Seymour later on at RT).
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Hell yes! I challenged NN to do some film study b/c their original report was the same MB media dribble that got tossed around as fact...much props to them for man-ing up and doing their own h/w and film study. And guess what? We came to the exact same conclusions!

IMHO, the best to worst re: the OL was as followed: Staley - Looney/Martin/Seymour - Iupati - Kilgore (both were poor).

I think it's important to note when assessing individual play, the players who started next to them. In this case, it was Kilgore and Martin for the most part. And to put that into perspective, Martin was by far the better player (as was Seymour later on at RT).

Nice ! That makes the article even greater.

Better than who ?

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You really called almost all of that NCommand! Nice job. I'd say the only difference is that they seem to be more down on Martin than you were. But still, you gave the most accurate study of our line than the entire media covering our team and the game. Kudos. People like you should be hired to cover our team instead of hacks like Williamson, Cohns, etc. The fact you did this on your spare time, whereas some of these guys have full time jobs to do this speaks volumes.

All of this.

Nice ! That makes the article even greater.

Better than who ?

Oh, overall, Martin and Seymour graded out higher than Kilgore or Iupati and it wasn't close in my book. Granted, Iupati looked rusty naturally and Kilgore was starting his first game, I think some of that would be expected (plus we were playing an enormous-sized DL who frankly, are very good and active). I expect better improvement from the entire OL this next game.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You really called almost all of that NCommand! Nice job. I'd say the only difference is that they seem to be more down on Martin than you were. But still, you gave the most accurate study of our line than the entire media covering our team and the game. Kudos. People like you should be hired to cover our team instead of hacks like Williamson, Cohns, etc. The fact you did this on your spare time, whereas some of these guys have full time jobs to do this speaks volumes.

All of this.

Yeah, I don't really understand it. With DVR (and the nice rewind/pause button), it really only takes 10-20 minutes to watch every play of every player objctively and critique (much longer to write up and document though). These paid beat writers probably just watch a game once or twice and jot down a thing or two that stood out to them and then dismiss the rest...a perfect example of this was re: Looney where he lost his block on 3rd and 1. They failed to note the entire line got blown up there and that he generally, had a good game esp. compared to everyone not named Staley. I'm looking forward to game 2...and thanks so much for the compliments. It's a good lesson for fans to take media reports with a grain of salt and to spend a few minutes to come to your own conclusions. B/c trust me, what I did is exactly what the coaches are doing as well. And Harbaugh was right when he said Looney got a bit high at times. That was very accurate.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Oh, overall, Martin and Seymour graded out higher than Kilgore or Iupati and it wasn't close in my book. Granted, Iupati looked rusty naturally and Kilgore was starting his first game, I think some of that would be expected (plus we were playing an enormous-sized DL who frankly, are very good and active). I expect better improvement from the entire OL this next game.

Got it !

Yes Seymour really surprised me positively in that game. I circled him as a sleeper during the off season but somehow totally forgot about him.

I´m still a little so and so on JMartins performance BUT it was way better than I expected.. I did not fear for our QB´s life with him out there.
Got it !

Yes Seymour really surprised me positively in that game. I circled him as a sleeper during the off season but somehow totally forgot about him.

I´m still a little so and so on JMartins performance BUT it was way better than I expected.. I did not fear for our QB´s life with him out there.
Martins feet are quick enough for sure
Share 49ersWebzone