LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Joe Looney?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crake49:
Oh, get into the real world please. Why would they have even thought of trashing him? He came in against the Rams, who were leading the league in sacks at the time and didn't allow a sack, a touch or even a hurry. Looney had a great game against the Rams and everybody saw it. (well, I guess everybody didn't actually see it. You evidently missed it.)

Is that why the Niners pulled him in the 2nd half? 'Cause he was playing so great?
Looney I feel better at RG for the time being than Adam Snyder.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Oh, get into the real world please. Why would they have even thought of trashing him? He came in against the Rams, who were leading the league in sacks at the time and didn't allow a sack, a touch or even a hurry. Looney had a great game against the Rams and everybody saw it. (well, I guess everybody didn't actually see it. You evidently missed it.)

Is that why the Niners pulled him in the 2nd half? 'Cause he was playing so great?

Are we talking about the same game? I'm talking about the game where Staley got injured, Boone moved over to take his LT position and Looney came in to Boone's position.
Are we talking about the same game? I'm talking about the game where Staley got injured, Boone moved over to take his LT position and Looney came in to Boone's position.

Pretty sure. I don't remember Looney playing more than a few snaps here & there other than the first half of that game.

Pretty sure. I don't remember Looney playing more than a few snaps here & there other than the first half of that game.

If you can't remember something, you probably shouldn't debate it.

Looney played 60 snaps that game

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/12/2/5166260/49ers-snap-count-vs-rams-joe-staley-joe-looney

I could be wrong, but I think Looney played the rest of the game when he came in for Boone because Boone played the rest of the game at LT. If you remember, Barrows and Maicco were raving about how they shut down that Rams front four with no sacks. I think it's ironic because I'm guessing that a number of GM's saw Boone shut down Quinn who was leading the league in sacks and that may have been the catalyst that got Boone and his agents thinking about him making a power play to move to another team to play tackle.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
If you can't remember something, you probably shouldn't debate it.

Looney played 60 snaps that game

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/12/2/5166260/49ers-snap-count-vs-rams-joe-staley-joe-looney

Thanks for clearing that up. That's what I thought I remembered.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
lol, look what I came across when cross searching pff and Looney.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/4238424-post30.html

lol damn
I know it's inconceivable for some in NT to hate on one of our own players after one preseason start, but I decided to look more closely at Looney snap-by-snap for perspective for the rest:

Snap – Description/Results/Perspective
1. Between C Kilgore and RT Martin – Drive block slant-right. Decent job on the drive but is high and is pushed to the side and falls down and therefore, can't pick up the second level LB who comes in from behind and helps tackle Hyde for a 7 yard gain.
2. Good pass protection (PP) (with Kilgore) and even pushes the Ngata mid-air when he jumped to knock down the pass. Ngata only got a yard push. Iupati got smoked on his 1on1 for a big hit on CK. Notable.
3. Chip block sell to the left so CK can roll right to McDonald. Doesn't quit either and looks to pop someone. Kilgore next to him got driven back 5 yards by Ngata.
4. Drive left. A touch slow in firing off and #98 Williams is huge but did enough to help clog the middle and Hyde off LT for 17 yards.
5. Good stalemate block on #98 (stayed lowed this time). Hyde for 10 off LT again.
6. Same thing as #5 but this time Hampton goes off RT to 1 yard for 3rd and short. Didn't give any ground.
7. Got high on this one and #98 stood him up and played off him and stuffed Hampton for a loss. Perspective here is that 2 yards before the LOS, Hampton is tackled with 5 defenders in the backfield. We didn't win a single battle on this one.
8. Fires through DL and mauls to the LB to the left side opening up a hold behind him for 5.
9. This time drives #98 back 3 yards (no easy task) throws him off and chips the LB.
10. Slides over and pushes the LDE over to Martin for an easy double-team. Completely washes him out of the play.
11. PP. #99 gets a strong fire and leverage but Looney holds his ground after a yard or two and pushes him back.
12. Pinched #98 inside on PP with a little extra shove away; he has a bit of nasty to him. Iupati got blown back 7 yards on this same play.
13. PP. #90 had a great stutter-rush move and was able to get inside on Looney and Looney fell with him at the feet of Gabbert's throw.
14. Between C Kilgore and RT Seymour – Double with Kilgore on PP. Did fine but probably backed up a bit too much for a 3=step drop pass.
15. Jumped to 2nd level for a screen pass (incomplete).
16. Very nice pull block from right to left in open space. Too bad Hampton cut back and didn't follow him or that would have been a big gainer.
17. PP. Looked a bit unsure if he should assist inside to the C or out to the LT as there was nobody to block. Better block inside next time as Kilgore was getting blown backwards.
18. PP. Great (ILB) #50 blitz pickup. He stonewalled him. Man, Kilgore is getting pwned this game.

End of 1st Half.

Overall: I saw a lot of really good stuff here esp. with his ability to pickup and stonewall blitzing LB's and how quick he was on his pull-block out in space (effective). Against some monster-sized men in Ngata and Williams he held his own, no doubt. I liked the way he chips and fires to the second level. There was a ton of beef inside so bodies were getting triped up some so he can work on his balance a bit and I agree with Harbaugh when he said he had a tendency to get high at times. But what I liked most was that when he did get high, he came right back and corrected and dominated. That shows growth and potential. His pass protection was very good to me only accounting for 1 pressure against the starting DL. He has some strength too. So many times as I was watching him not lose ground to his man, I'm seeing the rest of the DL pushing our OL back 5+ yards. I'm now more worried about Kilgore and Iupati than I am Looney or Martin after watching the film.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Seahawks D-line is way more disruptive as a collective unit. They just send waves of guys at you. It's a legit 7-man rotation on the d-line.

It was. I'm not certain it still is. They lost Bryant, Clemons, and McDonald this past year. None of those guys was irreplaceable, but they were very good rotational players who accounted for 11.5 sacks. They're trying to replace those guys with a couple unproven second-year DL (granted so are we, though I haven't heard much at all about Hill and Jesse Williams) and Kevin Williams (who should still be solid unless he totally drops off). The jury is out a bit on the Rams as well, but their starting front-four could be among the best in the league.

You don't think Looney and other O-lineman in the NFL is better than Goodwin? Goodwin was horrible (except in 2011 when he was still ok-ish).
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

lol damn

((( )))

Such a funny person....
Originally posted by NCommand:
I know it's inconceivable for some in NT to hate on one of our own players after one preseason start, but I decided to look more closely at Looney snap-by-snap for perspective for the rest:

1. Between C Kilgore and RT Martin – Drive block slant-right. Decent job on the drive but is high and is pushed to the side and falls down and therefore, can't pick up the second level LB who comes in from behind and helps tackle Hyde for a 7 yard gain.
2. Good pass protection (PP) (with Kilgore) and even pushes the Ngata mid-air when he jumped to knock down the pass. Ngata only got a yard push. Iupati got smoked on his 1on1 for a big hit on CK. Notable.
3. Chip block sell to the left so CK can roll right to McDonald. Doesn't quit either and looks to pop someone. Kilgore next to him got driven back 5 yards by Ngata.
4. Drive left. A touch slow in firing off and #98 Williams is huge but did enough to help clog the middle and Hyde off LT for 17 yards.
5. Good stalemate block on #98 (stayed lowed this time). Hyde for 10 off LT again.
6. Same thing as #5 but this time Hampton goes off RT to 1 yard for 3rd and short. Didn't give any ground.
7. Got high on this one and #98 stood him up and played off him and stuffed Hampton for a loss. Perspective here is that 2 yards before the LOS, Hampton is tackled with 5 defenders in the backfield. We didn't win a single battle on this one.
8. Fires through DL and mauls to the LB to the left side opening up a hold behind him for 5.
9. This time drives #98 back 3 yards (no easy task) throws him off and chips the LB.
10. Slides over and pushes the LDE over to Martin for an easy double-team. Completely washes him out of the play.
11. PP. #99 gets a strong fire and leverage but Looney holds his ground after a yard or two and pushes him back.
12. Pinched #98 inside on PP with a little extra shove away; he has a bit of nasty to him. Iupati got blown back 7 yards on this same play.
13. PP. #90 had a great stutter-rush move and was able to get inside on Looney and Looney fell with him at the feet of Gabbert's throw.
14. Between C Kilgore and RT Seymour – Double with Kilgore on PP. Did fine but probably backed up a bit too much for a 3=step drop pass.
16. Very nice pull block from right to left in open space. Too bad Hampton cut back and didn't follow him or that would have been a big gainer.
17. PP. Looked a bit unsure if he should assist inside to the C or out to the LT as there was nobody to block. Better block inside next time as Kilgore was getting blown backwards.
18. PP. Great (ILB) #50 blitz pickup. He stonewalled him. Man, Kilgore is getting pwned this game.

End of 1st Half.

Overall: I saw a lot of really good stuff here esp. with his ability to pickup and stonewall blitzing LB's and how quick he was on his pull-block out in space (effective). Against some monster-sized men in Ngata and Williams he held his own, no doubt. I liked the way he chips and fires to the second level. There was a ton of beef inside so bodies were getting triped up some so he can work on his balance a bit and I agree with Harbaugh when he said he had a tendency to get high at times. But what I liked most was that when he did get high, he came right back and corrected and dominated. That shows growth and potential. His pass protection was very good to me only accounting for 1 pressure against the starting DL. He has some strength too. So many times as I was watching him not lose ground to his man, I'm seeing the rest of the DL pushing our OL back 5+ yards. I'm now more worried about Kilgore and Iupati than I am Looney or Martin after watching the film.

Thanks for breaking that down NCOMMAND, I think you and I have been pretty lock step with assessment of Looney and to a lesser degree Martin. If people would do even a slight review of the game while also reviewing the other O-Linemen they could get a better idea of the performance. For me IUPATI performance was not good even though he had some monster run blocks. His pass blocking was almost frightening.

I think PFF had Looney as our second best linemen from the game he had a rating of -.7 rating.
What was the game Looney started the first half & got pulled the 2nd half? Does anyone remember?
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by NCommand:

End of 1st Half.

Thanks for breaking that down NCOMMAND, I think you and I have been pretty lock step with assessment of Looney and to a lesser degree Martin. If people would do even a slight review of the game while also reviewing the other O-Linemen they could get a better idea of the performance. For me IUPATI performance was not good even though he had some monster run blocks. His pass blocking was almost frightening.

I think PFF had Looney as our second best linemen from the game he had a rating of -.7 rating.

I'm assuming Staley was our best? Yeah, not sure how their grading system works but anytime you only give up one pressure inside to Ngata/Williams/LDE and bltzing LB's that alone would be a big positive. Add on the good things I also saw on run blocking and I agree, he was probably our 2nd best OL the first half. Martin was probably 3rd and Kilgore and Iupati would be neck and neck for dead last.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone