There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I will restate the question of this thread. Which 9 receivers will make the 53 man roster?

unknown, so many factors. what if these two new guys blow things up and make the team, what if jenkins can not cut the mustard and gets cut?what if mario can not play untill october? I think the answer may lie in how quick the guys who are hurt get back at practice and play in the pre season,, I know that is not the answer you are looking for but its the best i got
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I will restate the question of this thread. Which 9 receivers will make the 53 man roster?

unknown, so many factors. what if these two new guys blow things up and make the team, what if jenkins can not cut the mustard and gets cut?what if mario can not play untill october? I think the answer may lie in how quick the guys who are hurt get back at practice and play in the pre season,, I know that is not the answer you are looking for but its the best i got

Agree...tried to fathom the future but there would be so much hope involved...oh well...I'll' give it a whack.

Boldin
Manningham
Williams
Jenkins
Patton
Collie
Moore
Hall
Daniels

They need a way to keep Daniels on the team and this may be the spot. don't think he will be the third QB.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM ]
WR losses have killed us past two seasons, when if we had one or two others, the games might have ended differently. Hence, lots of WRs in camp. But never, do I ever recall a season where we had a dozen WRs and at least half are injured. That is ridiculous. LMJ and Vernon starting with Anquan is starting to look more and more promising. The fact that right now either of those guys could start does not say much about our gaggle of WRs.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Our WRs are as bad as they've ever been even during Singletary/Nolan days. We have s**tty luck when it comes to WRs to say the least.
Originally posted by Antix:
Our WRs are as bad as they've ever been even during Singletary/Nolan days. We have s**tty luck when it comes to WRs to say the least.

wasted all our luck with receivers on rice, taylor and owens
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dude, you gotta stop getting your 49ers insider info from the crack head who hangs in the alley across from Denny's and sips cheap whiskey out of a paper bag,

However if you do happen to see Lowell Cohn again, let him know that his son is looking for him.

I think that you've got to start adding Austin Collie to this list. If he can stay healthy (which is a big if) he could really contribute. His numbers from 09 to 11 were comparable to Crabtree. He did play in a more pass-happy offense, but still, he proved he can produce. Over those three years, he had 104 first downs to Crabtree's 107 and he had 16 TD's to Crabtree's 12. I'm hoping he resurrects his career here.
I think Collie has best shot to make the team, he was productive in INDY. If he can be healthy, he would make a great 3rd WR until Mario and hopefully Crabs come back. And If collie shows enough, I might say bring him back for a 3yr deal in 2014. Decisions to be made. Mario, Boldin, Williams, Hall, Moore, Osgood, Hawkins are all FAs, of course not all will make it.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I def beleiv71459e in Collie, esp with Kaep at QB. Just worried about his health, but he can catch the ball and that's really all I ask for out of a WR.
He has to back it up in preseason but Hall might have worked himself into a slot spot on this roster. From most accounts he performed pretty well for philly when given opportunities but with Jackson, Maclin, Avant and Cooper plus a good pass catching RB he never got that many.
Patton will make the team
Boldin
Williams
Patton
Collie
Jenkins

PS. Hall, Lockette

PUP and activate later:
Manningham
Crabtree
I think Collie has a much better shot of making the roster than Hawkins. Pretty sure we will keep 6 WR's. Moore and Hall's chances seem to be improving but unlikely both would make it. As for bringing in Collie and Hawkins there are a few things that could be behind it: 1. We love competition; don't want to give anyone a spot that doesn't deserve it. 2 Maybe it's not that the young guys are doing bad but more so they aren't reaching the coach's expectations 3. Bringing in these guys now could help in case of an emergency during the year. They will know the playbook and be ready to step in right away if we would sign them off the street. 4. Maybe Manningham isn't as far along as they want him to be. Maybe he ends up on PUP and can't play the first 6 months so we have an extra spot now.

Early in the thread I said Boldin, Williams, Manningham, Jenkins, Patton, Lockette where all locks to me unless Manningham goes to the PUP. Starting to now think Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Patton and Manningham if healthy are the locks. Seems like the last spot could be between Lockette, Collie, Hall and Moore IMO. If Manningham goes to PUP then 2 of those 4 get a spot. For all we know they shock us all and keep 7 guys. Would be excessive in our type of offense where we rarely use more than 3 guys but it's a possibility with how the WR spot has went the last 2 years. Either way will be tough to choose because Lockette, Collie, Hall and Moore could all be worth a roster spot in the end. Maybe they don't contribute much this year but their potential could be too good to risk losing.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
unknown, so many factors.

Sounds about right.
Giving the Niners WR an unbaised look, one has to conclude that it is not an elite group.

Even with Crabtree healthy, the combination of Crabtree and Boldin would IMO not be an elite standard. Both are excellent possession-type receivers, and bone fide starters, but the take-the-top-off element is lacking with that combination. One or more of the young ones, realistically only AJ or Lockette, maybe Moore, needs to step up to fill that role. They're the ones possessing the speed requirement. I feel that none of them have had enough time in training camp (especially with the injury time-outs) in order for fans or reporters to make any kind of determination. The coaches should have some kind of feel based upon OTA's and practices, but they will not let on, but will allow the process to work itself out.

My best guess on the rest, apart from Crabtree and Boldin:

1. It would be nice if AJ did "step up" and fill the void. He was drafted to fill that role. No doubt, he has all the physical attributes. It all depends on whether he has the mental toughness. And the desire. It's one thing to excel in college. It's quite another to step it up a notch for what is required in the pros. the best the oragnization can do is give him the kind of support that will encourage the best out of him. I have to believe that the coaches have an inkling about him. The next few weeks will solidify their opinion. If he doesn't possess the necessary mental touhgness, this organization is smart enough to cut their losses and he will be gone: Traded or cut. I hope that he earns a roster spot. Niners could use his speed.

2. KW: If he ends up #2 this would be bad news for the Niners. Because that really means that the team has a below par receiving core. He is not a starting quality WR. He's a #4 or #5 at best. And a good back-up punt returner.

3. Collie: Right now, I would rate him the Niners second best healthy receiver. He has proven that he can play, very productively at the NFL level. His history of productivity exceeds KWs and he has better size and moves. Very good at running precise routes. Hopefully, his concussion history is not as serious as many are making it out to be. We know that the longer one is away from the last concussion episode, the less the likelihood of another. He has been out for a couple of years, last year because of a tendon tear, not concussion. Unless injured in TC, I guess he makes the final cut.

4. Chad Hall: I really like this guy. Smart, disciplined, highly dedicated and motivated. Looks after himself and possessing good character. That's why the Niners like him, I feel. He and KW fit the same mold, they are both physically limited, and ideally the team only keeps one of them if both are healthy. Personally, I would feel sad to see either go, I think that one of them will either be on IR/PUP or be waived.

5. Lockette: He has the best measurables of all the WRs. It would be great if he could translate that into a complete WR skill set. Unfortunately, I don't hold out much hope. He is not a spring chicken. Ideally he would have shown more than just the ability to run down the field before this year. I don't think that he makes the squad.

6. Moore: Another underdog who I really like. Has speed and, unlike Lockette, the complete set of skills, although not elite. Has desire and durability, but not ideal size, but better than KW or CH. Perhaps an adequate #3, or a good #4. Perhaps he would fight out out with Hawkin for a spot on the roster?

7. Patton: Holds a lot of promise. Only lacks elite speed but appears to have all the rest, including intangibles. A good #3 type. Will definitely make the squad if healthy.

8. Manningham: Starts the season on PUP. Not durable. Lacks ideal size. Has speed, so right now would constitute Niners speed element. Smaller than Jenkins, who gets flak for being too slight. Ideally, a #3 IMO.

9. Oswood (sp?): Great size and toughness. Limited skills as a WR. Special teamer.

The others Jacobs, Hawkins, etc., are fighting some long odds? PS candidates.

Based on the above, injuries aside, our WR squad IMO is:

Boldin
Jenkins
Collie

Williams/Hall, probably Williams, if healthy.
Patton
Moore/Hall, probably Hall, if healthy
Osgood - Special Teams

PUP - Crabtree, Manningham

Rest waived, some signed to PS