LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm now rooting for Chad Hall to be the 9ers next Danny Amendola!!!

Im just rooting for at least one other wr threat other then boldin to keep our offense open. Dont care who.
They are just trying to work Reid in slowly, like they did with Aldon Smith his first year.

True true, big difference though also, we had a solified starter at olb.
Originally posted by Thechad49:
We need to make a trade for a reciever .. This is wide reciever group is not good enough to take us where we want to go.
yes, because this is the NBA
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Im just rooting for at least one other wr threat other then boldin to keep our offense open. Dont care who.

Well if Hall can be that speedy quick receiver in the slot he just might open this offense up. The 9ers haven't had a speedy receiver since, shoot I don't know someone refresh my memory and don't say Tedd Ginn lol.

I think his body type is more of a Wes Welker
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Well, in our eyes it will be because of his 1st round draft pick status, others who don't agree with us plus Baalke and Harbaugh will probably say they see much hidden potential that is yet to be realized and developed thus will require more time. Is sad, I know.

Since I talked about potential that we can not see and the ability to realize it, I guess I would be among the others who don't agree.

One example that I gave was Ian Williams. Williams had next to no production in his first two years with the team.

Williams in his first two years with the team played 39 snaps in four games. He had a total of 3 tackles.

Harbaugh, Fangio, Tomsula, and Baalke liked his potential even though his production was minimal.

They signed him to an extension.

Williams is probably the biggest surprise of training camp. He seems that he is earning a starting position.

The 49er brain trust were willing to give an undrafted free agent a full two years, two unproductive years, to prove he belonged.

If they see a similar potential in Jenkins, a first round pick, I am sure they will give more than one year to prove himself.

To paraphrase you. is happy, I know.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Well, in our eyes it will be because of his 1st round draft pick status, others who don't agree with us plus Baalke and Harbaugh will probably say they see much hidden potential that is yet to be realized and developed thus will require more time. Is sad, I know.

Since I talked about potential that we can not see and the ability to realize it, I guess I would be among the others who don't agree.

One example that I gave was Ian Williams. Williams had next to no production in his first two years with the team.

Williams in his first two years with the team played 39 snaps in four games. He had a total of 3 tackles.

Harbaugh, Fangio, Tomsula, and Baalke liked his potential even though his production was minimal.

Williams is probably the biggest surprise of training camp. He seems that he is earning a starting position.

The 49er brain trust were willing to give an undrafted free agent a full two years, two unproductive years, to prove he belonged.

If they see a similar potential in Jenkins, a first round pick, I am sure they will give more than one year to prove himself.

To paraphrase you. is happy, I know.

There you go again, buck. I thought we had been through that before already. You never agree to anything I have to say anyway. I already said just leave it at that. Your comments are really getting tired.

Tell you what, I will be proactive, I won't reply to your comments from this point. That should sort it out.
  • buck
  • Veteran
There you go again, buck. I thought we had been through that before already. You never agree to anything I have to say anyway. I already said just leave it at that. Your comments are really getting tired.

Tell you what, I will be proactive, I won't reply to your comments from this point. That should sort it out.

Relax, dude. We disagree, no big deal. If my humor offended you, I apologize.

I think that the comparison with Ian Williams is pertinent. I have made it twice, and still waiting for your input.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM ]

no no no that dude gets injured a ton

wes welker please
Here is who sticks:
Kyle Williams
Quentin Patton
Ricardo Lockette (until Manningham returns)
Anquan Boldin
AJ Jenkins
Marlon Moore (until Crabs returns)

Wild Cards based on injuries to these guys
Chad Hall
Austin Collie (still on Baalke's radar and speed dial)
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM ]

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Austin Collie, come on down!

Joining
Kyle Williams
Quentin Patton
Ricardo Lockette (until Manningham returns)
Anquan Boldin
Marlon Moore (until Crabs returns)

Problem is the top three on your list are injured, more then likely Collie would join those three.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Relax, dude. We disagree, no big deal. If my humor offended you, I apologize.

I think that the comparison with Ian Williams is pertinent. I have made it twice, and still waiting for your input.

edit: I do agree that Coleman looks like a good pick for us next year. I hope he does well next year.

Williams was a UFA, just the fact that he made the roster in his first year is a sign that our coaches liked him.
Jenkins was a first round pick, and no matter what Harbaugh, Roman, or any other coach says, first round picks get a FREE PASS in their first year. It is certainly not a "meritocracy" when it comes to first round draft picks.
A UFA making an NFL roster is a very impressive accomplishment, their arrow is UP. Now that Williams is competing for a starting job in year three, his arrow is still up, as it has always been.
On the other hand, a first round pick making an NFL roster is no accomplishment at all. Simply because a first round pick made the team, doesn't suggest anything about him.

Unlike most first round draft picks, who either start, contribute, or show potential during practice in their first year, Jenkins has not actually done anything to separate himself from the UFA WR's on this team; and he is now in his second year. Nor has he done anything to make a journalist, teammate, coach, or other observer say anything besides the typical teammate/coach drivel.

For example, we never hear things like,
"Wow, what a catch by Jenkins in practice."
"Jenkins burned the DB, but the quarterback missed the throw."
"Jenkins looks really sharp and quick with his breaks."
"Jenkins has a knack for getting open."
"Jenkins looks a step faster than the other receivers."

From Ian Williams, (who accomplished making the 53 as a UFA) we hear things like,
"Williams a really looking strong and powerful."
"Williams created good pressure against the first string line."
"Williams is looking a lot more athletic."

From Aldon Smith (a first round pick), we heard things like,
"Aldon Smith sure looks the part."
"Aldon Smith is still learning, but he shows amazing ability at times."
"Aldon Smith just pancaked a tackle at practice."

From our own first round pick this year, Eric Reid,
"Eric Reid anticipated a route and made a really nice interception."
"Eric Reid is getting some reps with the first team defense."
"Eric Reid is raw, but he has made some impressive pass deflections."

It would be nice to hear at least ONE thing about Jenkins that makes him stand out from the pack of UFA's he's competing with. We haven't though, and fans are especially frustrated about it, because we could have REALLY used another WR talent right about now.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Williams was a UFA, just the fact that he made the roster in his first year is a sign that our coaches liked him.
Jenkins was a first round pick, and no matter what Harbaugh, Roman, or any other coach says, first round picks get a FREE PASS in their first year. It is certainly not a "meritocracy" when it comes to first round draft picks.
A UFA making an NFL roster is a very impressive accomplishment, their arrow is UP. Now that Williams is competing for a starting job in year three, his arrow is still up, as it has always been.
On the other hand, a first round pick making an NFL roster is no accomplishment at all. Simply because a first round pick made the team, doesn't suggest anything about him.

Unlike most first round draft picks, who either start, contribute, or show potential during practice in their first year, Jenkins has not actually done anything to separate himself from the UFA WR's on this team; and he is now in his second year. Nor has he done anything to make a journalist, teammate, coach, or other observer say anything besides the typical teammate/coach drivel.

For example, we never hear things like,
"Wow, what a catch by Jenkins in practice."
"Jenkins burned the DB, but the quarterback missed the throw."
"Jenkins looks really sharp and quick with his breaks."
"Jenkins has a knack for getting open."
"Jenkins looks a step faster than the other receivers."

From Ian Williams, (who accomplished making the 53 as a UFA) we hear things like,
"Williams a really looking strong and powerful."
"Williams created good pressure against the first string line."
"Williams is looking a lot more athletic."

From Aldon Smith (a first round pick), we heard things like,
"Aldon Smith sure looks the part."
"Aldon Smith is still learning, but he shows amazing ability at times."
"Aldon Smith just pancaked a tackle at practice."

From our own first round pick this year, Eric Reid,
"Eric Reid anticipated a route and made a really nice interception."
"Eric Reid is getting some reps with the first team defense."
"Eric Reid is raw, but he has made some impressive pass deflections."

It would be nice to hear at least ONE thing about Jenkins that makes him stand out from the pack of UFA's he's competing with. We haven't though, and fans are especially frustrated about it, because we could have REALLY used another WR talent right about now.

Brilliant post !! Way to go BrianGo !!

I asked Lonewolf as well, just name me ONE, just ONE positive thing that Jenkins has done from last year to date. I certainly can't. On the contrary, I can easily table a comprehensive list of blackmarks on the guy and that list is getting longer and longer by the day.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I do not think anybody is saying Jenkins has been good. That is not the point of conflict. The debate seems to be how long should he be given.

If you think he should be cut now or after the preason, I disagree.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 31, 2013 at 2:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone