LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
In a related thread, 74% of those voting feel that Jenkins should be given at least this season to prove himself.
,(The entire season: 54% plus The length of his contract: 20%)

And 26% felt he should be cut now or given until the end of the preseason.
(I'm he done with him and is a first round bust: 13% plus Till the pre-season: 13%)

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173936-the-jenkins-debate-and-poll/#iTVKvSbT2IjFyvyd.99

I think it will be more telling after the preseason games. Either Jenkins will bolster his vote or it could completely swing the other way around. No matter how critical I am of Jenkins, I thought it would only be fair to give him one last chance in the preseason games. But, the situation is kind of futile anyway cos even if he tanks, as much as I want him cut before the season, I just don't see Baalke and Harbaugh doing that. This kind of makes the "give him one more season" vote kind of like a default if you will. Is sort of like well if Baalke and Harbaugh are not going to cut him before the season anyway, might as well give him this season I guess.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
I think it will be more telling after the preseason games. Either Jenkins will bolster his vote or it could completely swing the other way around. No matter how critical I am of Jenkins, I thought it would only be fair to give him one last chance in the preseason games. But, the situation is kind of futile anyway cos even if he tanks, as much as I want him cut before the season, I just don't see Baalke and Harbaugh doing that. This kind of makes the "give him one more season" vote kind of like a default if you will. Is sort of like well if Baalke and Harbaugh are not going to cut him before the season anyway, might as well give him this season I guess.

Did you vote in the poll? If you did, I would assume that you voted with the 26%.

It clearly seems that you think Jenkins should be give until the end of the preseason. I seriously doubt you would vote against what you believe.

I voted for one more season and so did many others.

I truly hope that you do not seriously believe I voted in acquiescence to an anticipated decision by Baalke and Harbaugh.

If you think that I voted for something that I did not believe, you are wrong.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Did you vote in the poll? If you did, I would assume that you voted with the 26%.

It clearly seems that you think Jenkins should be give until the end of the preseason. I seriously doubt you would vote against what you believe.

I truly hope that you do not seriously believe I voted in acquiescence to an anticipated decision by Baalke and Harbaugh.

Let me ask you this. Say if Jenkins falls to the bottom of the depth chart in training camp and totally tanks in the 4 preseason games, do you still think he should be given 1 more season ? The issue to me is not really just about whether we should give him more time, it is about him taking up a valuable spot on the roster over better performing receivers which we need to help us win. My question is why bother having competition in training camp when Jenkins is pretty much guaranteed a spot on the roster even if he gets creamed by 2, 3 other wideouts who have busted their rear ends trying to make it ?!
  • buck
  • Veteran

Let me ask you this. Say if Jenkins falls to the bottom of the depth chart in training camp and totally tanks in the 4 preseason games, do you still think he should be given 1 more season ? The issue to me is not really just about whether we should give him more time, it is about him taking up a valuable spot on the roster over better performing receivers which we need to help us win. My question is why bother having competition in training camp when Jenkins is pretty much guaranteed a spot on the roster even if he gets creamed by 2, 3 other wideouts who have busted their rear ends trying to make it ?!

Tell you what.

Respond directly to my post (the post you just quoted) about this default vote you created and I will attempt to explain my vote.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Tell you what.

Respond directly to my post (the post you just quoted) about this default vote you created and I will attempt to explain my vote.

I don't really care about the vote per se and I wasn't saying you did not vote based on what you thought. I guess my point on the vote was it doesn't really matter even if it was 100% "let's cut him now" cos ultimately in all likelihood, Jenkins is still going to be pretty much guaranteed a spot on the roster. It was more of a casual kind of comment that's all. So, relax.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I don't really care about the vote per se and I wasn't saying you did not vote based on what you thought. I guess my point on the vote was it doesn't really matter even if it was 100% "let's cut him now" cos ultimately in all likelihood, Jenkins is still going to be pretty much guaranteed a spot on the roster. It was more of a casual kind of comment that's all. So, relax.

I am relaxed. Thank you for the response.

I think that Jenkins should be given at least to the end of the season to prove he is worth keeping on the team. But, if Jenkins totally tanks the 4 preseason games, I am not going to be pleased with him. And, I would not be upset if he were cut. Hell, by that time, I might even be happy that he was cut.

But, that does not mean that I think that he should be cut, if he tanks every preseason game.

I am perfectly capable of both recognizing and acknowledging that my knowledge of Jenkins, or any player on the team, is at best superficial.

Ahmad Brooks was taking a valuable roster spot for about a year before he became a productive player--an All Pro caliber player.

Ian Williams was taking a valuable roster spot for two years and in those two years he had almost no production. The team gave him an extension. Now, it looks like Williams has a good chance to win a starting job.

Kyle Williams has not been all that productive in his three years with the team, but Harbaugh and company have kept him
He made two major errors in the most important game the team had played in years and those contributed directly to the loss of that game.
Baalke and Harbaugh did not cut Williams.

So, it seems at times the coaching staff and Baalke have decided to keep players, who even though they were not immediately productive or had shown limited productivity,had potential and were at practice and in training demonstrating a reasonable possibility that they were capable of realizing that perceived potential.

So, if the coaching staff that works with Jenkins everyday decides to keep him, I am not going to raise a stink about it or challenge their professional integrity.

Baalke and Harbaugh will make mistakes. Keeping Jenkins could prove to be a mistake. Drafting Jenkins might have been a mistake. But, so what. People make mistakes, it is part of life.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 30, 2013 at 4:07 AM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
.. . .
I think Lockette is as good as gone. I never understood the man crush this board had on him anyways. Sure he is a specimen to look at, but thats about it.

Where it gets interesting IMO is if Jenkins truely struggles the rest of camp and into preseason, and Jacobs/Hall have great camps and preseasons, does the FO/coaching staff play favorites with draft position. IMO it would be hard to cut Jenkins this early purely based on his draft position, and i dont think we could move him, maybe get a late round pick, but at the same time we cant really afford to carry a guy that is not atleast improving with this current WR group, and if Jacobs/Hall have great camps it could get real interesting.

I think that some posters, not you, are being a little rabid on this Jenkins issue. With them, it's more like a personal vendetta than a reasoned approach.

It's early days. Give it a few weeks to work itself out, instead of frothing at the mouth after only two days of padded practice.

OK. Harangue over.

You pose a reasoned and interesting scenario. Namely, would the coaching staff play favorites, because of draft position?

That's a legitimate concern. Consider: They've probably done a ton of homework on the player before they make a high draft pick, especially #1. So the scouting team and FO has got a lot invested professionally and emotionally. However, it's not the coaches who did the complete evaluation on the player, so they're a little less on the hook.
I just feel that this coaching staff is too good to fall into the trap of wasting a roster spot on an undeserving player. Doesn't matter where he's drafted. They would move him (even for a late rounder as you say; Taylor Mays comes to mind) and I'm sure that there would be a taker for a #1. Before it comes to that. let's not forget that:

1. Jenkins has not actually been given a real opportunity in a game situation for some two years, whatever the reason (and we don't know what they all may be). He's ever had the opportunity to get comfortable or in any kind of rythmn. Can we permit him a few dropped balls to get accustomed to playing again?

2. Jenkins was injured when he first came to camp, so he was behind in his development last season and only now has the opportunity to be on an equal footing. However, he was deemed to have first round talent, let's not forget.

3. His team mates (CK7 and KW) have affirmed that he is light years ahead of where he was last season in understanding the playbook and that his speed is an important contributing quality to the WR position. You can't teach that; you either have it or you don't.

4. Jerry Rice was also criticized for dropping an inordinate number of balls over his first couple of seasons (and he had had the benefit of a lot more playing time), so can we at least give this kid a chance before we castigate him?

As for Lockette: I think people may be excited because Harbaugh made some hopeful statements about him. But to me he is an enigma. I, too, am skeptical and I would have less expectations of him than I would Jenkins (or even the others). Also because, I think that, while he has speed he never been mentioned as being shifty, which I think is a more important quatity. We'll see.,

For some reason, I just hope Moore makes it. My gut instinct (not to be relied upon) tells me that this guy is a player. I hope that Hall and Jacobs get to show what they have. May the best guys win.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Jenkins is probably a #3 at best.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

I would say No. 4 at best and that is me being nice. Just trying to keep it real. LOL.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I would say No. 4 at best and that is me being nice. Just trying to keep it real. LOL.

He is either a 1, 2, 3, 4 or some other number based on not having seen him play...other than that he was selected in the first round by a team that has drafted pretty well the past two years. Other than that he is playing for a coaching staff with a good record of developing players over the past two years. Other than that we have no idea if there are better receivers already on the team.

Patience is a virtue!

Mr Baalke ...Randy Moss on line 1 for you
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

No. Just no. I couldnt beleive people wanted him last season, and i cant beleive even more that people would want him back after last season. He was not a factor at all.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

No, I think is more like "Hey Randy, is Trent Baalke from the 9ers, are you free to talk ?"

Did you see how serious Baalke looked on the sideline watching the practices on that "Camp In Motion : In Pads" clip ? He must have been thinking "sh*t, looks like I have really fxxked up on that Jenkins, should I cut him now or do it after the season ? Hmm...crap..." LOL.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

No. Just no. I couldnt beleive people wanted him last season, and i cant beleive even more that people would want him back after last season. He was not a factor at all.

Joke aide, I have to agree with you, Randy just doesn't have it anymore. If Baalke wants to call someone, call someone else.
All this Jenkins bashing is crazy, he isnt even doing poorly he just isnt "wowing" the masses like he did when pads were off... oh yeah remember that? Just a couple months ago everyone was singing his praises. It's the first week of TC, give the kid a break. He has made plays unlike last years TC he just isnt standing out and every beat writer is mentioning that which makes it sound like he is doing worse than he actually is. Hall is impressive and so is Moore, Jacobs will break in half going over the middle right now so he is at best the PS.

Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, Hall, Lockette and Moore takin up a ST spot. MM sits out the first 6 weeks, and Crabs gets designated to return later.
Share 49ersWebzone