There are 188 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
CSN Bay area is reporting that they don't project Austin Collie to make the roster. Sorry if this is old news. It's not surprising.

Not surprising at all. People were too quick to call him a lock for the roster. He's still buried on the depth chart and running out of time. Loved him when he was in Indy, but his injury history will hold him back for the rest of his career.
CSN Bay area is reporting that they don't project Austin Collie to make the roster. Sorry if this is old news. It's not surprising.

Not for me b/c he adds zero ST ability and has a serious injury history. That said, Hall is a similar player, has caught everything this pre season, is a returner and can play on the coverage units. But he may not make it either. He would be a nice slot guy behind Williams.
Surprising no... disappointing kinda. My fear is that Harbaalke is holding onto Baldwin when other players "could" be more productive. Baldwin could easily drop his way out of playing time, where Collie has at least been productive in the past. Hopefully Baldwin makes some nice catches this game so he can earn his spot on the field.
If Collie doesn't make the cut, I don't think teams are going to be in a rush to sign him. Baalke could still keep his # on speed dial in case there is an injury, or if Crab or Mannigham has a setback in their recovery. Collie is a guy who could be brought in mid-season and play on short notice if needed.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I guess that is settled then. Collie is not going to make the roster.

I wonder if CSN has informed Harbaugh and Roman, yet.
Originally posted by buck:

I guess that is settled then. Collie is not going to make the roster.

I wonder if CSN has informed Harbaugh and Roman, yet.

LOL! Totally...we always forget too that there WILL be at least 1-3 surprise makes on the 53 as well. It happens every single year. For all we know Moore doesn't make the team now. Ha
  • buck
  • Veteran
I have strongly argued we should keep Jenkins.

I wanted Lockette to make the team.

Now, I am going to argue.... No. I am not.

I am the kiss of death.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Well according to the 49ers "depth chart" it is as follows....

** Based on salary, snap count, and draft the bold are "locks" for the roster **

WR1
Boldin
Moore
Collie
Hawkins

WR2
Williams
Hall
Patton / Osgood (according to a note on the official website they are listed as even standing for 3rd string)
Jacobs

Baldwin isn't even listed yet but one would presume he is a lock because of his salary while players like Collie and Hawkins could be cut easily and Crabtree and Manningham will be back later in the year.

Hall would project as lock because he has shown the offseason dedication that Lockette showed but has actually produced on the field and also has ST value.

Should Rio and Crabs return healthy by Week 11 our DC will likely be

1 - Boldin
2 - Crabtree (Food for thought: Hunter is back 8.5/9 months after a partial achillies tear. 8.5 months for Crabtree's full achillies tear is Super bowl weekend. Maybe he is going to pull an AP and play on week 11(deadline to leave him active) which is only 6.5 months removed from injury.)
3 - Manningham
4 - Williams
5 - Patton (only ahead of Baldwin in this post because we don't know if Baldwin will 100% make the roster yet)
6 - Baldwin
7 - Moore
8 - Hall

The likelihood of the 9ers keeping 8 players past week 11 is highly unlikely but you never know. I'd bet good money that the Seahawks or another contender would claim Hall or Moore if we do cut them. Maybe we'd trade one of them at the deadline if Rio is back healthy? I'm not convinced that Crabtree will even set foot on the field this year, please prove me wrong on this one!

To answer the question I think Baldwin makes the roster over Collie & Hawkins. With Moore, Hall, Williams pushing Osgood out of the picture because all 3 of them have ST value and are younger than Osgood.
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM ]

LOL......when are they going to let Harbaugh and Baalke know?

This is simply Maiocco doing guesswork.

"Wide receivers (5): Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, Jon Baldwin, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton The 49ers could keep six wide receivers. In that case, Chad Hall, Austin Collie, Lavelle Hawkins and special-teamer Kassim Osgood are in play. But a sixth wide receiver will have a difficult time suiting up for games, anyway. Plus, the 49ers expect Mario Manningham back at midseason and Michael Crabtree a little later."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM ]
my locks are boldin williams moore patton and baldwin in that order. another thing about collie is our wrs get banged around constantly not just when they catch the ball. since coach has been in town we have seen little kyle williams blocking d-linemen. in our system these guys have to be able to take punishment. that has to weigh in on the decision.

Austin Collie still has the best shot. He can catch and has experience which others do not have. Baldwin will make it to help with control the safeties in the open field with blocks.
As bad as the QB play has been, it makes it hard to judge these WR's.
Here are my five WR's that will be on the roster come six weeks from now.

Williams
Boldin
Moore
Patton
Collie
***Baldwin if they carry six

Seven weeks from now
Williams
Boldin
Patton
Collie
Manningham
Moore
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fister30:

Williams
Boldin
Moore
Patton
Collie

Seven weeks from now
Williams
Boldin
Patton
Collie
Manningham
Moore

Fister, why don't you have Crabs on either of your list?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by fister30:

Williams
Boldin
Moore
Patton
Collie

Seven weeks from now
Williams
Boldin
Patton
Collie
Manningham
Moore

Fister, why don't you have Crabs on either of your list?

No waY Crabtree will be ready by week six
Share 49ersWebzone