LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good dicussion! That said, I have always thought Manningham was tremendous at running routes and probably THE best WR off the LOS. He's not blazing fast or big and physical but has made a living off that first step and move (very quick feet); sets up DB's well. He's created more separation off the LOS in short quarters than I've seen from a 9er WR in years. In fact, one of his TD's (inside the 10), he smoked the CB so badly, he was open by 10/15 yards for an EASY TD. And I think this is another reason why we aren't rushing him back. His entire game is based on quickness and shiftiness (quick feet, explosion off the LOS) and with that horrendous knee injury, it's going to take some time to get fully back to form.

When healthy, he could end up being THE best slot WR we have on the roster esp. if we use Davis and McDonald inside and have the speed and big-bodies outside in Boldin, Baldwin, Moore and perhaps, Lockette.

Jesus! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr5PLjIA-KY

Good references: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLMamR6dkQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1AkUoGJ_js

Nice links. LOL . . . highlight reels!

I look forward to Manningham making a full recovery and really playing a major role for the Niners.

I'm not sure it will be this year though.

Too bad about Lockette. I was really hoping that he would come good for the Niners. It was a long shot, I realize. He would have showed some signs before this year if he was legitimate. Still held out hope though. Would have been nice.
Originally posted by buck:
Well, my man Lockette is gone.

So, I will go, in no particular order, with:

1. Boldin
2. Patton
3. Williams
4. Moore
5. Collie
6. Baldwin

Lockette at least was our best ST gunner all pre season. That alone will add x10 more than Wallace ever could. They may still end up stashing Lockette on the PS or calling him back at some point. Baldwin is the new Lockette. The only difference I have now with your lineup is Hall for Collie. But it looks like we are going veterans so Collie is a very viable and safe option esp. knowing Manningham will be back after week 6. Congrats to Moore to BTW!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Lockette at least was our best ST gunner all pre season. That alone will add x10 more than Wallace ever could. They may still end up stashing Lockette on the PS or calling him back at some point. Baldwin is the new Lockette. The only difference I have now with your lineup is Hall for Collie. But it looks like we are going veterans so Collie is a very viable and safe option esp. knowing Manningham will be back after week 6. Congrats to Moore to BTW!

I was going to say something about Lockette sneaking back into the mix, but given my track record, I thought it best not to speak.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Nice links. LOL . . . highlight reels!

I look forward to Manningham making a full recovery and really playing a major role for the Niners.

I'm not sure it will be this year though.

Too bad about Lockette. I was really hoping that he would come good for the Niners. It was a long shot, I realize. He would have showed some signs before this year if he was legitimate. Still held out hope though. Would have been nice.

Agreed, that was one NASTY injury! Yuck...esp. that upclose video.

Yeah, bummed for him too...when you only get 2 balls thrown your way in pre season games, not much to work with. It sounded like he was having a good camp too and naturally, fits the big-body/speed we wanted outside (see Baldwin for Jenkins).

My concern now is this...can Seneca play ST? LOL. Does that mean we only go with 6 WR's. This would leave Osgood off and he was the #2 gunner of the pre season. Daryl Morris was #3 and we're unsure if he'll make the 53 (let alone 46). So who are our ST coverage guys now? Our gunners? I thought this was a MAJOR concern of ours!

And now, who is backing up the X and Z positions. Boldin has nobody behind him unless they anticipate Baldwin learning both the X & Z spots with Moore starting opposite Boldin to start the season.

Overall, IMHO, bad move...for Wallace/losing Lockette. Again, they could always bring him back if he gets no takers and/or consider the PS again.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM ]
I was going to say something about Lockette sneaking back into the mix, but given my track record, I thought it best not to speak.

Aside from not getting any real chance in games, the reports from one Hawk official on a plane trip with a Niner fan who claimed Lockette was as dumb as they come (alegibly and paraphrasing), that's the only thing I can guess as to this move. That said, Baldwin had a 14 on his Wonderlic score. Great! LOL

And shhhhhhhhh!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM ]
Aside from not getting any real chance in games, the reports from one Hawk official on a plane trip with a Niner fan who claimed Lockette was as dumb as they come (alegibly and paraphrasing), that's the only thing I can guess as to this move. That said, Baldwin had a 14 on his Wonderlic score. Great! LOL

And shhhhhhhhh!

Baldwin's 14 on wonderlic doesn't bother me. Gore had a 4. My concern with Baldwin is that he is a serious enough (see Colin Kaepernick). He likes to be funny. If he gets serious, I think he can have a surprisingly good run with us.
LMAO. Poor Frank!

1. Boldin
2. Patton
3. Williams
4. Moore
5. Collie
6. Baldwin

He probably would of been cut once Mario comes back, so I dont see any reason to keep him. Gotta keep cuttable players to have Crabs and Mario back, and Moore is one of the top 3, doubt he gets cut. I think we rock 7 WRs when we have Crabs and Mario back.

Next offseason I hope they keep Boldin, Mario, and try Brown, if he wants too much, say bye bye.
I will say this for lockette...the rocket. He was down the field on a K.O. faster than the ball got there. Ball was fielded inside the 10 yd line, and lockette was there waiting for it to come down. Damn he was fast. But one play does not a 53 man team member make. I said earlier, I would not want to be the guy making the cuts on WRs. That for me would have been painful, as I liked most of them. Same for Hall and Collie. Wow, tough choice. I am happy with whoever Trent and JH pick, because they know what each and every guy can bring. I just see certain plays and like a guy for that. Hall did catch everything thrown anywhere near him however, and in the back of my mind I was thinking , tiny guy, fast, sticky fingers....like...well, welker. Ran routes like him also, across middle and just sat down. Collie looked great also...but we can't keep 'em all.

AB, thanks for reminding me Pioli is no longer GM with KC. You know the old saying , AB. "The older I get, the better I used to be."
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I will say this for lockette...the rocket. He was down the field on a K.O. faster than the ball got there. Ball was fielded inside the 10 yd line, and lockette was there waiting for it to come down. Damn he was fast. But one play does not a 53 man team member make. I said earlier, I would not want to be the guy making the cuts on WRs. That for me would have been painful, as I liked most of them. Same for Hall and Collie. Wow, tough choice. I am happy with whoever Trent and JH pick, because they know what each and every guy can bring. I just see certain plays and like a guy for that. Hall did catch everything thrown anywhere near him however, and in the back of my mind I was thinking , tiny guy, fast, sticky fingers....like...well, welker. Ran routes like him also, across middle and just sat down. Collie looked great also...but we can't keep 'em all.

AB, thanks for reminding me Pioli is no longer GM with KC. You know the old saying , AB. "The older I get, the better I used to be."

I agree 100%, Lockette would of been a long shot, he wouldn't be active, mind as well keep guys who can be active at some point, plus we need spots open for Mario and Crabs eventually

And of course no problem Doc. KC did a overhaul of their regime. Reid as HC as we all should know, and Dorsey as GM.

AB, the pioli thing was kind of strange, in that maybe 8 yrs ago, he was thought to be the wunderkind. And then with all that talent, they win a total of 2 games. Lot of talent but not at QB and certainly not at HC. I hope Andy does good because he is in the Walsh coaching tree.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
AB, the pioli thing was kind of strange, in that maybe 8 yrs ago, he was thought to be the wunderkind. And then with all that talent, they win a total of 2 games. Lot of talent but not at QB and certainly not at HC. I hope Andy does good because he is in the Walsh coaching tree.

He was the hot name, and KC wanted him badly, and got him, he brought Cassel over from NE, and everyone thought they would be a contender by what they and everyone saw from Cassel, the year Brady was injured first game. But reality is, Cassel is not a great QB, backup at best. Reminds me of the hole Matt Flynn love fest, he couldn't beat out a 3rd rd pick, even though it is clear, Wilson is better than Flynn. And Flynn had 1 great game, but against a piss poor Detroit defense. And good showing in preseasons.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

1. Boldin
2. Patton
3. Williams
4. Moore
5. Collie
6. Baldwin

He probably would of been cut once Mario comes back, so I dont see any reason to keep him. Gotta keep cuttable players to have Crabs and Mario back, and Moore is one of the top 3, doubt he gets cut. I think we rock 7 WRs when we have Crabs and Mario back.

Next offseason I hope they keep Boldin, Mario, and try Brown, if he wants too much, say bye bye.

I think people are reading way too much into Moore's current status, he is there because the guys who are a fit on the outside are either coming back from injury or fresh to the team. Collie is only slotted low because we do not value slot guys as high and he isn't suited to the outside. He is probably the second best Receiver currently on the active roster. I strongly suspect if he stays healthy it will be Moore, Baldwin and William competing to stick if/ when Crabs and Rio return.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I think people are reading way too much into Moore's current status, he is there because the guys who are a fit on the outside are either coming back from injury or fresh to the team. Collie is only slotted low because we do not value slot guys as high and he isn't suited to the outside. He is probably the second best Receiver currently on the active roster. I strongly suspect if he stays healthy it will be Moore, Baldwin and William competing to stick if/ when Crabs and Rio return.

Manningham will be out at least six weeks.

The actual play of the wide receivers between the start of the season and his return will determine who gets cut.
CSN Bay area is reporting that they don't project Austin Collie to make the roster. Sorry if this is old news. It's not surprising.
Share 49ersWebzone