LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
^^^ Williams could end up being a VERY good slot WR for us. That said, I don't want him at the X opposite Boldin at the Z when we face Seattle's DB's week 2. Period.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by cciowa:
thats got nothing to do with his pass catching abilities and i feel sorry for those who still cling to this "proof" kyle is not a good player unlike others before him, he has also worked hard to correct his game and was fine in his shortened season last year in my opinion

Yep. I can see williams having the upside to becoming a very productive WR. What is the time table on williams to start playing?
someone smarter than me knows that but another thing,, and i know some do not want to hear this,, but kyle will also be our main punt returner for us and back hunter and james in the kickoff return game. Thats just fine with me. f**king ginn was good for running five yards and then out of bounds last year so it has to be better
someone smarter than me knows that but another thing,, and i know some do not want to hear this,, but kyle will also be our main punt returner for us and back hunter and james in the kickoff return game. Thats just fine with me. f**king ginn was good for running five yards and then out of bounds last year so it has to be better

You've got far more faith than me, I see Williams being merely average, as usual, which will be a disappointment to some. He's not a guy who's going to make play after play consistently for you, every now and then he'll get past the coverage and make a big play like against Chicago last season, and then the rest of the time he'll get absolutely destroyed at the line of scrimmage by the defensive back pressing him, or simply having trouble getting separation.

You can go back and read some draft scouting breakdowns of him and the same issues still remain.

Does not have adequate size and will struggle to fight off press coverage at the next level. Raw route-runner who struggles to find holes in zone coverage and make double moves. Rarely disguises his routes, which neutralizes his game-breaking speed. Will not be a capable blocker at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/kyle-williams?id=497340
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM ]
Is there a 1000 yard wr for 2013? Boldin will have a chance. Will there be anybody else close? It would have to be a wr who starts the season to get to 1000 yards.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You've got far more faith than me, I see Williams being merely average, as usual, which will be a disappointment to some. He's not a guy who's going to make play after play consistently for you, every now and then he'll get past the coverage and make a big play like against Chicago last season, and then the rest of the time he'll get absolutely destroyed at the line of scrimmage by the defensive back pressing him, or simply having trouble getting separation.

You can go back and read some draft scouting breakdowns of him and the same issues still remain.

Does not have adequate size and will struggle to fight off press coverage at the next level. Raw route-runner who struggles to find holes in zone coverage and make double moves. Rarely disguises his routes, which neutralizes his game-breaking speed. Will not be a capable blocker at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/kyle-williams?id=497340
with all due respect, i think we can not compare kyle now with pre draft reports of him. with mario out, he also is a weapon, in my opinion, on some reverse calls,, just as long as its not in the rain in a playoff game on a terrible field
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Is there a 1000 yard wr for 2013? Boldin will have a chance. Will there be anybody else close? It would have to be a wr who starts the season to get to 1000 yards.

a full season of ck to vernon will also pick up the slack or void that could be created by lack of a strong number two wide out in my opinion
with all due respect, i think we can not compare kyle now with pre draft reports of him. with mario out, he also is a weapon, in my opinion, on some reverse calls,, just as long as its not in the rain in a playoff game on a terrible field

Of course we can, why not? These are still his major weaknesses. He struggles with press coverage, he's a decent, not a great route runner, he struggles to get separation. None of that has changed.

VD is going for 1200 yards this season playing both TE and WR, book it.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

I agree. As a player gains experience in the NFL, his college production becomes less relevant.

Pre-draft reports are of questionable value before the draft, and have even less value when a player has been playing in the league for a year or two.

Kyle Williams or Jon Baldwin have to be judged on their NFL careers.

In Baldwin's case, I am going to judge him based on what he does, or does not do, with the 49ers.

What he did at Syracuse and what he did at KC whether on the field or off the field do not mean much, anymore. .
Originally posted by buck:
I agree. As a player gains experience in the NFL, his college production becomes less relevant.

Pre-draft reports are of questionable value before the draft, and have even less value when a player has been playing in the league for a year or two.

In Baldwin's case, I am going to judge him based on what he does, or does not do, with the 49ers.

What he did at Syracuse and what he did at KC whether on the field or off the field do not mean much, anymore. .

• buck
  • Veteran

Ouch. Did it again, didn't I.

Pittsburgh.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM ]
Of course we can, why not? These are still his major weaknesses. He struggles with press coverage, he's a decent, not a great route runner, he struggles to get separation. None of that has changed.

Agree with you.

In Kyles case his college scouting report is spot on. Despite being built close to the ground he has no double move or shiftiness. I'm baffled by the Niners seeming fascination with him. It's like the team's fixation on another high profile player. They seem to have trouble letting go.

It's like the team views him as a safety net. Except that this net has a lot of holes in it. Niners have to do a LOT better than this.

No impressed with the teams coaching and evaluation at the WR position. This with the same position coach who recommended drafting that kid from USC who did not even make the cut in his rookie year. Niners need to replace that guy with someone better, Should not be a difficult thing to do.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Agree with you.

In Kyles case his college scouting report is spot on. Despite being built close to the ground he has no double move or shiftiness. I'm baffled by the Niners seeming fascination with him. It's like the team's fixation on another high profile player. They seem to have trouble letting go.

It's like the team views him as a safety net. Except that this net has a lot of holes in it. Niners have to do a LOT better than this.

No impressed with the teams coaching and evaluation at the WR position. This with the same position coach who recommended drafting that kid from USC who did not even make the cut in his rookie year. Niners need to replace that guy with someone better, Should not be a difficult thing to do.

Phoenix:

If you are right, and I think that you are, the lack of change between the college and pro game is worrisome.

Rsrkshn:

Who was the other high profile player that the team had a fixation on and had a hard time letting go?
This question is not a challenge. I just am not sure to whom you are referring.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
If they keep Lockette over Collie then they really don't understand how to evaluate WRs....

Collie is without a doubt a better receiver than Lockette, and I would assume that they know that

I think Lockette could make the team as a gunner on special teams. We need big, fast, nasty gunners.

If Collie is healthy enough to play well, he will make the team.
Phoenix:

If you are right, and I think that you are, the lack of change between the college and pro game is worrisome.

Rsrkshn:

Who was the other high profile player that the team had a fixation on and had a hard time letting go?
This question is not a challenge. I just am not sure to whom you are referring.

Do you even need ask? He is the one who shall not be named, the Voldemort of the Webzone.
Share 49ersWebzone