LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
How can you expect that when you haven't seen the guy DO anything yet? He's not gonna shoot 7 spots of the depth chart because of "potential."

AJ had potential, now he is a Kansas City Chief.

You're gonna be mad when he does just that, aren't you?

No, I would love it actually. I want my team to win, and I hope the kid is the next Jerry Rice. I just don't understand why you and others alike are so high up on the kid when he has not done anything yet.

I like Quinton, I really do, but how can you expect him to take the #2 spot when he literally hasn't shown us what he is capable of yet? Especially as a rookie.
No, I would love it actually. I want my team to win, and I hope the kid is the next Jerry Rice. I just don't understand why you and others alike are so high up on the kid when he has not done anything yet.

I like Quinton, I really do, but how can you expect him to take the #2 spot when he literally hasn't shown us what he is capable of yet? Especially as a rookie.

He hasn't had a chance in a game situation, doesn't mean he hasn't made an impact out on the practice field and he obviously has, he's been very impressive. Take a look at Moore, he's basically done jack squat in these two games but has been impressive enough in practices that they have him slated in the #3 spot. I think Patton has a huge chance to make a big impact based on the kind of player he is, he's the anti-AJ Jenkins in terms of his competitiveness, his somewhat cocky attitude and his ridiculous work ethic. You'll see big things from him, sooner rather than later.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM ]

He hasn't had a chance in a game situation, doesn't mean he hasn't made an impact out on the practice field and he obviously has, he's been very impressive. Take a look at Moore, he's basically done jack squat in these two games but has been impressive enough in practices that they have him slated in the #3 spot. I think Patton has a huge chance to make a big impact based on the kind of player he is, he's the anti-AJ Jenkins in terms of his competitiveness, his somewhat cocky attitude and his ridiculous work ethic. You'll see big things from him, sooner rather than later.

Agreed with the bold, I do like his work ethic and I really like that he is working close with Anquan to get better. But my stance is that I'm waiting to see him actually do something first before I go making any claim as to if he sees the field this year. (Especially as a starter)

Moore had the one catch yes, but Harbaugh runs him with the first team and takes him out with the first team as well. So in this case, he is special because (like you said) he has shown something in practice. We don't know for certain with Quinton Patton yet, so I'm waiting. But if you're right, then I will be happy. If you're wrong, then I'll hope he keeps improving so he can see the field, because I know he has the ability and work ethic to do so.
Most likely to make the roster, in order of likely-hood. This is not a depth chart.

Boldin - Lock
Williams - Lock
Patton - We are not going to cut this kid because of his broken finger. I think he'll show enough in the next few weeks.
Baldwin - I think we like this guy.
Moore - We want to reward him for winning the "meritocracy" contest.
Osgood - We keep him for the special teams.

I think this is all we keep. Five WR's and a sixth because of special teams. If we need Collie we can always pull him off the street.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Most likely to make the roster, in order of likely-hood. This is not a depth chart.

Boldin - Lock
Williams - Lock
Patton - We are not going to cut this kid because of his broken finger. I think he'll show enough in the next few weeks.
Baldwin - I think we like this guy.
Moore - We want to reward him for winning the "meritocracy" contest.
Osgood - We keep him for the special teams.

I think this is all we keep. Five WR's and a sixth because of special teams. If we need Collie we can always pull him off the street.

There's absolutely no way I see Osgood sticking around. He's 33 and offers basically nothing as a WR. Seeing the 49ers recent history of injuries to WR's, they can't afford to have a guy who can't contribute as a WR. If healthy, Collie is the 2nd best healthy receiver behind Boldin.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
I am going to go with seven wide receivers making the 53 man roster.

1. Boldin
2. Williams
3. Moore
4.Collie
5. Patton
6. Baldwin
7. Lockette

Lockette makes the team primarily because he is nasty enough to be a gunner.

At Fort Valley State, in 2009, Lockette did not record a single offensive stat.

But, he had 28 tackles (13 assists and 15 solo). He had 9 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles.

We seriously need gunners on special teams who are fast and nasty. Any wide receiver that can put up his defensive numbers is nasty.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2010&org=237&player=2

Agreed, but Patton hasn't done jack sh*t yet. I'll wait to pass judgement until I see something. I did the same thing with AJ.

I think there is some confusion. I only listed the seven wide receivers that I thought would make the final 53-man roster.

I did not rank them or attempt to rank them, and at this point I have no basis for ranking them.

The order of the players listed has no significance, at least for me . Put them in any order you want. Oh, excuse me, you already did. Sorry, missed that.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
If we're truly going to keep the "best 53", I can't believe we would keep WR's over other players at other positions.
Also, this team doesn't rely on its WR's nearly as much as most teams.

Never mind.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM ]
There's absolutely no way I see Osgood sticking around. He's 33 and offers basically nothing as a WR. Seeing the 49ers recent history of injuries to WR's, they can't afford to have a guy who can't contribute as a WR. If healthy, Collie is the 2nd best healthy receiver behind Boldin.

Five WR's, and a special teamer. Osgood is a Pro-Bowl special teams player. Didn't we want to have an improved special teams? Well, we can't have that if we keep a 6th WR over a special teams star. There's also a chance Lockette is kept for special teams over Osgood.

If we keep Collie, I think it's over Baldwin or Moore. Baldwin is the guy we just traded for, would kind of suck to lose him right away. Moore is the "meritocracy" champion. It would really take a poo on the whole meritocracy idea if we cut him.

We could keep six WR's plus the special teams player, but now we're going to have to cut someone on the DL or a DB, or OL, or OLB. I don't think that is likely. We like Haralson, I think we like both Looney and Kilgore. We have to keep Wilhoite for depth. Maybe we go thin at safety, but besides that I don't see much room for keeping a 6th WR, especially because of the way we like to run our offense.

Collie could make the team, but I would be flabbergasted if we ignore our special teams again after what happened in the Super Bowl.

Five WR's, and a special teamer. Osgood is a Pro-Bowl special teams player. Didn't we want to have an improved special teams? Well, we can't have that if we keep a 6th WR over a special teams star. There's also a chance Lockette is kept for special teams over Osgood.

If we keep Collie, I think it's over Baldwin or Moore. Baldwin is the guy we just traded for, would kind of suck to lose him right away. Moore is the "meritocracy" champion. It would really take a poo on the whole meritocracy idea if we cut him.

We could keep six WR's plus the special teams player, but now we're going to have to cut someone on the DL or a DB, or OL, or OLB. I don't think that is likely. We like Haralson, I think we like both Looney and Kilgore. We have to keep Wilhoite for depth. Maybe we go thin at safety, but besides that I don't see much room for keeping a 6th WR, especially because of the way we like to run our offense.

Collie could make the team, but I would be flabbergasted if we ignore our special teams again after what happened in the Super Bowl.

being that our special teams sucks so far i really dont care if we keep him or not but i think he'll probably end up being one of the special teams keepers on the roster like dixon, skuta and a few others
I am certainly not pinning my hopes on Marlon Moore, he is a good story but what are we talking about here. An undrafted guy going into his 4th season and a total of 12 catches for his career. So he gives us about as much production as AJ Jenkins. Collie is just a productive WR when healthy and on the field. he has proved it, moore is a special teams guy and i see why he has value but I dont need anymore Brett Swains, Chris Hogans an so on. Give me a legit 3rd WR who can make catches in game situations. I could be totally wrong, but Marlon Moore has given us no evidence that he can produce. Even the Dolphins who were absolutely starving for a WR did not keep him and he did not play much when given the chance. Baldwin an Collie are my vote. Nothing against Moore, Hall, Lockette but they just dont produce.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
#1 Boldin
#2 Baldwin
#3 Williams
#4 Moore
#5 Patton
#6 Lockette
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:42 AM ]
Im not sure why lockett makes the team, he has been as useless as Jenkins. Maybe Harbaugh said he believes great an special things from him but we can now all see that he does his best to give the players all the confidence they need and props them up, but then its up to them to perform. Lockett has not done that. I want him to succeed as bad as anyone, but collie is a player. he produces and Lockette is obviously still a project waiting to happen. Hes soon to be 28 yrs old. Still only 2 catches in the NFL, Austin Collie 173. Maybe injury concerns but if healthy a much better player
Originally posted by mayo49:
#1 Boldin
#2 Baldwin
#3 Williams
#4 Moore
#5 Patton
#6 Lockette

IMO Lockette hasn't done anything to prove he deserves a spot on the team
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
#1 Boldin
#2 Baldwin
#3 Williams
#4 Moore
#5 Patton
#6 Lockette

Truth. Based on preseason, Hall deserves a spot. Can't get over the height though.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
#1 Boldin
#2 Baldwin
#3 Williams
#4 Moore
#5 Patton
#6 Lockette

Making the squad does not entirely depend on what a player has done in preseason games and training camps.

The coaching staff also has to gauge potential and the ability to reach the potential. The coaching staff also has to select players in accordance with team need.

A player with "a bigger upside" often will be kept even though another player has outplayed him.

A lesser wide receiver, Lockette perhaps and Osgood clearly, could beat out a wide receiver who has more catches and receptions if the lesser wide receiver is a better special teams player.

Impact of team chemistry is another consideration that may out weigh simple production numbers.

I think there is a good chance for Lockette to make the team as a gunner primarily.

Just my opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone