LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
According to MB on his best guess so far...

Anquan Boldin. The other two locks, according to me, are Kyle Williams and Quinton Patton. No, Patton hasn't gotten to show off his skills because of a broken forefinger (Damn you, Kaepernick fastball!), but as Jim Harbaugh says, the arrow is up for this eager, hard-working youngster. Williams, meanwhile, is smart, savvy and badly wants to be on the field. He's also the only player on the team with any real experience at punt returner. The 49ers want LaMichael James to win that job, but it's smart to have a capable backup.

Ok, that's three players. The 49ers likely will go into the season with five or six receivers on the roster...

Both Marlon Moore and Kassim Osgood have been consistently good on offense and both have true added value as coverage guys on special teams.

After that comes Austin Collie.

A.J. Jenkins. Have you read anything about him lately? His potential is undeniable. He's very quick, very fluid. He gets up to top speed quickly, etc., etc. But he simply hasn't been one of the six best receivers in training camp. If the 49ers keep him, they will say it's because they believe Jenkins has a bright future. But that will be a tough sell to the five or six others who are cut and to the remaining players in the locker room, who will privately conclude that Jenkins' first-round status bought him another year on the roster. One more note about Jenkins: He gives the team almost no value on special teams.

A practice-squad spot could go to Ricardo Lockette.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/08/from-11-to-six-where-things-stand-at-wide-receiver.html#storylink=cpy

So to him, thus far:

Anquan Boldin - the man and monster RZ threat
Kyle Williams - most veteran to OUR offense and can play all 3 WR spots
Quinton Patton - top pick with great upside
Marlon Moore - veteran and excellent gunner; top-end speed
Kassim Osgood - veteran and excellent gunner, great size for the RZ
Austin Collie - veteran productive slot WR (injury concerns)

Bubble:
A.J. Jenkins - Do we keep 7 after 6 last year? no ST value at all but 1st round pick
Ricardo Lockette - excellent tangibles and PS eligible
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM ]
I want AJ to succeed, but I also wonder what we could get if we shipped him to a bad team like the Jags/Jets.
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Aug 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I want AJ to succeed, but I also wonder what we could get if we shipped him to a bad team like the Jags/Jets.

At best a 6th rounder. More likely a conditional 7th for him making the team.
Originally posted by hohbie:

No way his value is they low. Ginn was obtained for a 5th

Who in their right mind would give more for him? At least Ginn had SOME production and was a good special teams player. What has AJ done to make him worth more?
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by blm7754:
I think it is pretty clear now who will be kept on the 53 man roster:

Locks:

Boldin - obvious
Williams - Young, experienced, fast, special teams ability
Collie - Only healthy player other than Boldin with proven NFL track record
Patton - Hard working rookie that has been practicing hard and making plays, even with one hand.

Special Teams Ace:
Osgood or Lockette - one of these guys will make the team on special teams ability

Bubble:
Jenkins or Moore - one of these guys will make the team as our 6th WR and have a chance to prove themselves until Manningham is healthy

PUP:
Manningham - when he comes back 100%, a bubble player will probably be cut. In the event that Jenkins has established himself by the time Manningham is healthy, Collie or Williams will probably be cut instead.

IR:
Crabtree - don't think he's coming back this season

Moore is more of a lock than Collie, but both will be on the roster. Moore has been the best receiver outside of Boldin all training camp, he aint goin nowhere.

Well, Moore has special teams ability too. So he may get the nod as special teams ace over Osgood and Lockette. I don't think that Collie is going anywhere. If he really is 100% healthy, he's a quality WR with proven ability.
Well, Moore has special teams ability too. So he may get the nod as special teams ace over Osgood and Lockette. I don't think that Collie is going anywhere. If he really is 100% healthy, he's a quality WR with proven ability.

Agreed. All three are excellent gunners with Lockette's speed off the charts (see last game). Moore is very fast/quick/elusive as well. Osgood has a ton of experience and an ace. Who do you choose? Lets see who adds the most in games as a WR!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed. All three are excellent gunners with Lockette's speed off the charts (see last game). Moore is very fast/quick/elusive as well. Osgood has a ton of experience and an ace. Who do you choose? Lets see who adds the most in games as a WR!

With Collie, McDonald, and Boldin, I think our receiving targets have improved over last year's squad...even with Crabs out.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:

With Collie, McDonald, and Boldin, I think our receiving targets have improved over last year's squad...even with Crabs out.

Big time...don't forget, Hunter is back as well and that dude is dynamic as a dump off option and never drops a pass. Tons of deep threat speed with Moore, Lockette, Williams. VD, etc. Even w/o Crabtree (more of a possession WR anyhow), Roman should have quite a few packages to use with all these guys.
I've posted that a number of times also, JoeC, but met with little agreement. Hard to believe we have :
Anquan
Kyle
Collie
Patton
Moore
Lockette
AJ still untapped

And then there is Vernon and Vance, plus LMJ as outlet pass or designated pass play in backfield(let the D see if one on one they can catch him).
In effect, we are looking at a wealth of ball catchers, whether WR, RB or TE. We are WAY, WAY better at catching the ball than at any time in recent yrs. This is one heckuva bunch of guys who can catch passes. With the two WR losses to ACL tears in SD, we may have a home for the remainder of the WRs who don't make the squad....in exchange for a good CB, DL or OL. From a passing/running team of 50/50, it looks like it may be hard not to let that passing notch up a bit to 55% or a tad higher. Don't get me wrong, we have to have that fantastic Running team. It is just that for passing, we are overly gifted despite unforeseen injuries. And somewhere along the line , Crbs is coming back. Wow.

I think lockett , collie, Moore, Jenkins, with boldin would be a good tandum with osgood on side to help special teams . That would be 6 wideouts to start the season , then one would have to go when manniham gets ready. And wiliams
[ Edited by okieniner on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I've posted that a number of times also, JoeC, but met with little agreement. Hard to believe we have :
Anquan
Kyle
Collie
Patton
Moore
Lockette
AJ still untapped

Man, the more I think about it, the less I think we need Collie...hear me out.

X = Marlon Moore / Ricardo Lockette
Y (slot) = Kyle Williams / Quinton Patton
Z = Anquan Boldin / Kassim Osgood; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP)

Note: AJ Jenkins could be that #7 who could can line up at all 3 WR positions while Manningham and Crabtree are shelved. I noticed we ran a 5-WR set last game (granted both James/Miller were in the mix, I believe). Personally, I think AJ would be abused outside.

So here is my question. How many slot WR's do we need? Right now, Williams is ideal for the slot but will play out wide a large part to start the year opening this spot up for Jenkins/Patton. Also, in the RZ specifically, Boldin will slide inside to the slot. Then, Manningham should be back in 2 months and HE is a slot WR also. And don't forget, both VD and McDonald will run out of the slot as well.

What we don't have right now are guys that can take the top off ala Moss (critical to our underneath passing game last year); this is also critical to Boldin's game as well. The only two guys who can do this is Moore and Lockette at the X (hopefully AJ Jenkins at some point). Osgood would be a good backup behind Boldin and on ST. Both Moore & Lockette are also excellent ST gunners. Collie adds no ST value.

So, even if healthy, where does Austin Collie really fit into our type of offense esp. when we are very thin outside?
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]
I agree however if the team bites the bullet and release AJ this changes everything for Osgood and Lockette.
[ Edited by Gores21 on Aug 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Ginn was productive, Jenkins hasn't even played a full game.
NC, my man, you are way ahead of me at WR, all 3 positions. What you say makes a lot of sense, but here is where I get screwed up. I keep thinking of Mario and Kyle as back here already, in which case 3 of the guys I listed will be cut or get some mysterious injury. I guess, what needs to be done is assume Kyle and hunter and Mario aren't on the board and make your choices at WR that way . Then as they start to come back(and I think kyle may already be back), you start deleting the guys you had chosen. So you make a WR board for today, and then adjust as our injury guys filter back in. All that said, where exactly does collie fit in? If it weren't for the damn concussions he would be one of my starters...but you can't ignore the obvious....one good hard blow to the helmet and ....well, you know the rest.
Incidentally, I know Hunter isn't a WR, but he is one helluva ball catcher and I kind of think of him as part WR, altho he is our 2nd best RB to FRank.

So I am fine with your moore/lockette at x
kyle /patton at y
boldin/Osgood at z
As mentioned, my picks were not at individual positions but on quality of receiver...which is really close anyway. So this is like deciding how many angels on the head of a pin. I do like your reasoning at the burner position, and Lockette has got to be one of the fastest guys I have seen in camp. Still guys like chad hall(challenged by height, but so is wes welker), are glue fingers guys. For me, Command, every guy we cut is going to be a starter elsewhere, and I probably include AJ in that group. As for your question how many WRs, we could cut down on a 5 wide by using LMJ and/or Vernon. Our problem? too much talent at WR. When in the world would you have thought that anytime in the last two yrs ? For me , never.

So dragging disses out of the bag, Collie who has great hands and 3 yrs experience, is injury prone. I don't see CBs, SS getting smaller and leaner. Nor LBs.
Hall, while catching well, is tiny in a big man's game. At slot would seem his only fit...and playing multiple positions is a big plus...but not for him.

Other than that, man, I have no idea, but I could easily go along with your suggestion for the thoughtful reasons given. When we need 5 wide we can always use Vernon and LMJ. So the question, a coaching question is, how many WRs do we need and at each x,y,z? Personally, based on our horrocious injury bug at WR , I believe Coach will keep more WRs than needed, as insurance that we never dreamt of last two yrs.( and no, I have no idea who)

Worst part, as I have noted above, is I don't want to see any of the above go, in that they will start elsewhere, and I include AJ in that group. What an amazing amount of talent trent and JH have accumulated, so that we don't know who will go and who will stay. Fanfriggingtastic.

For now I like your idea but we are so fluid, anything could happen and in the end someone will be p.o.ed that his guy got let go, and someone else happy his guy was kept.

One thing I read elsewhere ,and that was that Patton couldn't play this yr and has to be on PS? If so what the heck is that about and is there any truth to it.?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone