LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 410 users in the forums

Which Remaining 3 WRs Will Make The 53-man Roster ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
AJ better f**kin step up. it would be nice if lockette developed and patton learned how to catch. todays game should hopefully give someone whos hungry enough a chance to step up

sounds like he is in practice since he got back. Its a start and now he has to show something starting tonight in the game and then the rest of pre season, If he makes the roster with a good showing in pre season then he has to continue to move the bar and show us in the regular season. He is a work in progress and as the coach said, its a process with him. Now some people have an opinion on whether that is good or bad but that is the way it is with him so we just have to deal with it and hope he continues to take positive steps forward
  • buck
  • Veteran
AJ better f**kin step up. it would be nice if lockette developed and patton learned how to catch. todays game should hopefully give someone whos hungry enough a chance to step up

Why do you think Patton needs to learn to catch?
With 13 WRs in camp, it seems unlikely we don't come out of this with 3 or 4 really good ones. Do to cap considerations, AJ will be one of those per AB's comments, which were right on the mark. But I still see our WR situation way better than last yr when it was crabs, a little bit of Vernon, and not much else, acknowledging that hunter and kyle went down on same collision. For a real weak spot, I see us way stronger than last yr, and crbs is out. That seems absurd, yet that is my gut feeling. Just who it will be...well, that is what PS and TC are for. I actually like more than we can keep and that can't be a bad thing. Patton, AJ, Lockette, Hill, Collie, are probably my guesses at present...and we may not keep all those.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With 13 WRs in camp, it seems unlikely we don't come out of this with 3 or 4 really good ones. Do to cap considerations, AJ will be one of those per AB's comments, which were right on the mark. But I still see our WR situation way better than last yr when it was crabs, a little bit of Vernon, and not much else, acknowledging that hunter and kyle went down on same collision. For a real weak spot, I see us way stronger than last yr, and crbs is out. That seems absurd, yet that is my gut feeling. Just who it will be...well, that is what PS and TC are for. I actually like more than we can keep and that can't be a bad thing. Patton, AJ, Lockette, Hill, Collie, are probably my guesses at present...and we may not keep all those.

Agree with you Pasodoc--this is a much stronger group of competitors than in the past. That doesn't mean they will be better but there is a much better chance.
Originally posted by buck:

Why do you think Patton needs to learn to catch?
there was an article that came out saying he had hella drops in practice and boldins interview he says he may have caught one or two passes the whole time or something.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Jenkings, Patton and Collie
did patton play? i dont remember hearing his name. i like that marlon moore dude
did patton play? i dont remember hearing his name. i like that marlon moore dude
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Agree with you Pasodoc--this is a much stronger group of competitors than in the past. That doesn't mean they will be better but there is a much better chance.

I'm pretty worried about this group. A this point it looks like a bunch of average to below average guys. Marlon Moore lining up as a starter scares the crap out of me. It's early though and I think Kaep is good enough to move the offense with the weapons he has, so no need to overreact yet.....
Originally posted by natrone06:
I'm pretty worried about this group. A this point it looks like a bunch of average to below average guys. Marlon Moore lining up as a starter scares the crap out of me. It's early though and I think Kaep is good enough to move the offense with the weapons he has, so no need to overreact yet.....

Early and remember--these guys are mostly new to this team and to this system. Jenkins doesn't have that excuse but he is a second year guy who had no time in the field last year. But there is a lot to worry about...except for Boldin.

Natrone, you have to agree Collie looked like real deal(if he can not get any more concussions). Lockette is a lock , with tackle on goal line on punt, and on routes he was super fast. No real good balls thrown tonite to the guys we really needed to see. Chad Hall? might be short, but the kid can catch and HE is quick. Also did well on PRs. good hands. Anquan looked like he and Kap have played 5 yrs together.

At TE, Vance is going to make heads turn as I predicted, but did drop 2 , catching two others for 17 and 20 yds.

Honestly, hard as I tried, I had trouble seeing anyone else with ball thrown to them, but I am sure I missed some. I still think we are going to have 3 or 4, possibly 5 WRs from this group make the team, 4 plus Aj. Who the other 3 are I dunno at present. But I was impressed our WRs did that good with NO OL pass blocking. Colt and then Tolz got bull rushed every pass play. It would be nice to see how colt and tolz do with a starting OL. Natrone, it is almost impossible to say our WRs looked bad on their own. Tolz and colt did a great job just not getting sacked every pass play. It is tough to judge your WRs when it is a jailhouse break once ball is snapped. Considering that, and that 3 WRs did look good despite the off line passes due to blitzing and no OL protection, I would say it wasn't bad in that 3 guys stood out at WR. Admittedly, not the ones I thot, but I never even saw patton. Did he play? Moore made a nice catch and muffed a pair.

Don't despair, still 3 weeks to go and all those WRs will look way better with an OL that blocks. So don't be disappointed. I liked what I saw...3 new WRs that stood out. I had hoped to see one or two. Remember we still got hunter and kyle to come back early on. Lmj really wasn't used as a receiver , darn it. His runs were good, but I wanted to see how he did with passes. Maybe he had one pass...i'll recheck.
Based solely on what I saw tonight, I would say our 5 WRs should be:
- Boldin LOOKED and played like a top tier WR
- Austin Collie ran good routes and got separation against third stringers. Concussions aside, I would vote him in as our number 2 WR.
- Chad Hall is lightning quick and gets open on the dink and dunk routes. He looks shifter than Kyle Williams did last year. If he continues to improve his PR skills I vote him in over Kyle.
- Osgood is huge and is a really good gunner. He came down with spped for a man of his size and enveloped the returner. I would say this spot is between him and Lockette as low man on the WR totem pole/special teams ace. Right now my vote is for ST experience over Lockette's potential at the bottom of the depth chart.
- Which leaves me with two players that have incomplete grades for the last spot: Manninham and Patton. I would guess the niners go with the cheaper, younger kid with potential.

Notice that I left out Jenkins. He looked awful. Perhaps he can turn it around but awful is awful...
Agree with Dan, Collie looked really solid. Good routes and a couple nice catches(one in the dirt on a bad throw and the 4th down conversion for 18 yards). I've got him slotted as the #2, dude is an awesome receiver. Chad Hall also looked good, quick as hell and caught some passes thrown his way. Was glad to see Nnamdi do well and Parrish Cox played awesome, nice returns and a pass defended. Lemonier also impressed with his strength and quickness while rushing the passer. He also showed good closing speed while chasing Osweiller.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm gonna change my answer to:

Anquan Boldin
Austin Collie
Kyle Williams
Quinton Patton
Chad Hall
AJ Jenkins
Kasim Osgood

I think they keep Osgood for his special teams play. I think they could keep 7 receivers, maybe go light at CB.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerDan:
Based solely on what I saw tonight, I would say our 5 WRs should be:
- Boldin LOOKED and played like a top tier WR
- Austin Collie ran good routes and got separation against third stringers. Concussions aside, I would vote him in as our number 2 WR.
- Chad Hall is lightning quick and gets open on the dink and dunk routes. He looks shifter than Kyle Williams did last year. If he continues to improve his PR skills I vote him in over Kyle.
- Osgood is huge and is a really good gunner. He came down with spped for a man of his size and enveloped the returner. I would say this spot is between him and Lockette as low man on the WR totem pole/special teams ace. Right now my vote is for ST experience over Lockette's potential at the bottom of the depth chart.
- Which leaves me with two players that have incomplete grades for the last spot: Manninham and Patton. I would guess the niners go with the cheaper, younger kid with potential.

Notice that I left out Jenkins. He looked awful. Perhaps he can turn it around but awful is awful...

Moore looked good. Manningham will be on the team. Jenkins looked awful. I'm in the 25% that says if he shows nothing this preseason then give another wideout a shot. Do we really want to see Jenkins on the field this year while we make a SB run? So far..we don't
Share 49ersWebzone