LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

New wrinkle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Roman is always going to throw some new wrinkles out there. A couple of seasons ago, there were fly sweeps. Last year, there was obviously the read option and quite a few jumbo formations, including unbalanced lines.

What's in store this year? I think there might be formations with VD and McDonald outside, with slot guys inside them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
hopefully he learns how to call some screen passes.
Originally posted by susweel:

I've been hoping they mix in some screens now for quite some time and reportedly they ran a few of them yesterday. It only makes sense to me and especially this year because teams are going to be coming hard for Kap.
I'm a fan of the screen, as well. I would love to even see a few TE screens to VD!
Possibly this

• MarkD
  • Veteran
This year I believe Roman will add the
"Annexation of Puerto Rico"
[ Edited by MarkD on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I've been hoping they mix in some screens now for quite some time and reportedly they ran a few of them yesterday. It only makes sense to me and especially this year because teams are going to be coming hard for Kap.

Roman is allergic to calling screen passes
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Roman is allergic to calling screen passes

This I do believe
The 100% Successful and/or Sure To Draw a Penalty Endzone Corner Route From The 5yd Line w/ Touch

/thread
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jul 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM ]
Love the screens idea with Hunter and James. The TE screen to Davis would be sweet too. I can also see them lining Davis and McDonald out wide as well. Roman just has so many toys to play with that he is in a truly a unique situation. Great o-line that is big and athletic, a QB that can run and throw as well as a plethora of RB's. When/if Crabs comes back this season, this offense will be lethal. I think Crab's injury will allow the other players and the offense in general to grow. Kaep's insistence on only looking at Crabs during that final drive last year was part of the reason we lost that game. He never really looked anywhere else and they were guys open.

Id like to see the Fly Sweep ran again this year with someone who can actually make it work. Maybe Moore is someone who has the speed to get to the edge and the wiggle to gain 15. I don't want to put too much on Jenkins' plate, you know
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'm a fan of the screen, as well. I would love to even see a few TE screens to VD!

remember Mike Martz threw a few screens to Vernon? ...it worked out well if I remember correctly
I hope they do some wildcat stuff with Michael Robinson!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
There will be a lot of deep plays for Vernon, book it !!
I think having Kap flow to one side of the field and throw a backside screen would be HUGE for us. If the D doesn't flow with Kap, then he has the ability to run for 5-10 yards each time, if they do flow we could get a 2 on 1 situation with a blocker on the backside DE and Hunter/LMJ in space, Ill take that matchup EVERY TIME!!!

On the flip side, 3 things may work against us running the screen, other than our coaches never calling them in college or the NFL....

1. Screens will only work if we can establish a true deep threat. If not the S's will come down in the box and stuff the screen. ( in 2012 42.25% of Frank Gores runs saw him face at least eight defenders in the box, the league average is 23.25%, by far the most in the NFL ). Jenkins, Williams, Lockette, Moore....one of them needs to step up early in the year and get the attention of the safety.

2. Teams will want to play zone against Kap so they can keep an eye on him limiting the effectiveness of the play.

3. I don't think too many teams will pin their ears back and go hard after Kap, fearing him taking off. I think we'll see many controlled rushes where the guys stay in their lanes and keep an eye on Kap. They will be able to sniff out screens better doing this.

I still want the 9ers to throw a couple screens a game to get James and Hunter in space, but I don't expect Roman/Harbaugh to all of a sudden turn into Andy Reid.

What new wrinkle I think we will see is the 4 TE set.

Big blocking TE's McDonald ( if he can master that this summer ) and Celek will have their hands down in the dirt and be on opposite sides of the line. Then Vern and Gray will be offset behind each of them with Gore as the single back. As long as McDonald and Gray prove they can run block, this will be a deadly formation. Since Celek and Vern are top notch inline blockers, you could literally have a jumbo package run over people with Gore plowing ahead and having Kap bootleg to keep the OLB from crashing down. We would outweigh and outmuscle any formation the D throws at us. If we see the D go to a goaline type D, all 4 TE's are threats in the passing game. We could motion all 4 out wide, have Kap drop back in the shotgun/pistol and run pass plays. Or motion Vern and Gray out wide, bring Celek or McDonald to the same side and run zone read strong or weakside. The possibilities are endless! As long as Gray and McDonald prove they can use their big bodies to block and Celek continues to improve his hands, it will be a beast of a formation to defend.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Jul 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone