There are 236 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins dropping passes and Kyle Williams fumbling.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If you draft a receiver, isn't it a prerequesite that he can catch the ball?
Vets should know better, but it's SD so...
Originally posted by mayo49:

Not as much as you'd think. For example, Al Davis never thought so

Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
#bringbackTheSwain

I will see you your Swain and raise you a Hastings!

I see you your Hastings and raise you a Taylor Jacobs!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm actually comfortable with Williams as the primary punt returner. He caught punts last year without incident and he's very explosive with the ball in his hands. He has to show he can play X and Y receiver, because I expect Boldin to be our primary slot guy.

Not worried about Jenkins either. I'm sure there were other drops yesterday, but its only noteworthy when #17 does it. The fact he's working with the 1st unit is a good sign. Our coaching staff doesn't hand anyone a starting reps, they have to earn it. This bodes well for Jenkins.

Um, he caught punts for all of how many games last year, all of three games? I am as comfortable with Williams as the primary punt returner as I'd be taking a dump at a bus station on Market Street.

I totally understand why you would feel that way. I just think what happened 2 years ago in the NFCCG was a fluke. I'd be more worried if he constantly muffs punts, but he doesn't. In fact, I can't remember him actually muffing a punt. He looks fine tracking the ball, getting under it, and catching it. Even in that NFCCG he doesn't muff a punt. The ball took a short hop and ricocheted off his leg, the other time the defender got a great hand on the ball.

The coaching staff appears comfortable with him returning punts. They let Ginn walk, and Williams appears to be the next man up. I'd trust him fielding punts more than James.
I totally understand why you would feel that way. I just think what happened 2 years ago in the NFCCG was a fluke. I'd be more worried if he constantly muffs punts, but he doesn't. In fact, I can't remember him actually muffing a punt. He looks fine tracking the ball, getting under it, and catching it. Even in that NFCCG he doesn't muff a punt. The ball took a short hop and ricocheted off his leg, the other time the defender got a great hand on the ball.

The coaching staff appears comfortable with him returning punts. They let Ginn walk, and Williams appears to be the next man up. I'd trust him fielding punts more than James.

Ginn muffed a couple last IIRC, so it's not like even our best return guy was immune from it. KW will be fine.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Ginn muffed a couple last IIRC, so it's not like even our best return guy was immune from it. KW will be fine.

You're right. Ginn muffed a few, including one that could have been costly against the Saints. I think KW will be fine too.
I'm actually comfortable with Williams as the primary punt returner. He caught punts last year without incident and he's very explosive with the ball in his hands. He has to show he can play X and Y receiver, because I expect Boldin to be our primary slot guy.

Not worried about Jenkins either. I'm sure there were other drops yesterday, but its only noteworthy when #17 does it. The fact he's working with the 1st unit is a good sign. Our coaching staff doesn't hand anyone a starting reps, they have to earn it. This bodes well for Jenkins.

Um, he caught punts for all of how many games last year, all of three games? I am as comfortable with Williams as the primary punt returner as I'd be taking a dump at a bus station on Market Street.

James looked horrible in preseason last year at least.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He looked overwhelmed trying to field punts last preseason. Early reports say he looks much more comfortable now. Love him on kickoff returns tho.

He looked overwhelmed trying to field punts last preseason. Early reports say he looks much more comfortable now. Love him on kickoff returns tho.

I trust KW's more on punt returns.....

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
SD, glad to see you are covering training camp like a maven.
Obviously the wide receivers are going to be the focus throughout training camp because of Crabs going down. So far I am pretty happy with what I've heard about the first few days of camp. I cannot wait to see how they perform during preseason games. That will be the true test of who makes the Opening Day roster.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Not as much as you'd think. For example, Al Davis never thought so

Yeah, really.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
#bringbackTheSwain

I will see you your Swain and raise you a Hastings!

I see you your Hastings and raise you a Taylor Jacobs!

we got chad hall its all good fools

I think being inactive until the Dolphins game helped him out a lot
Share 49ersWebzone