There are 43 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why not Cully at FS and Reid at SS??!!

Originally posted by boast:
why not Tolzien at LS and the bro at KR?

Because Baalke wants bigger more physical corners like the Seahawks. Culliver has good size for a corner and he's fast. All they need to work on with Culliver is finding the ball when it's in the air. When he works that out, he'll be a great corner. And, I'm guessing he's going to learn to keep his mouth shut.
I thought tracking the ball while it's in the air was a weakness of Cully we all agreed on? That's kind of a major weakness for a FS, no?
Originally posted by thl408:
I thought tracking the ball while it's in the air was a weakness of Cully we all agreed on? That's kind of a major weakness for a FS, no?

The idea is that with Cully at FS, he is further back to see the play develop, and would less often be in a trail position and unable to track the ball's path. Sick 4.3 range, length, and good size for a safety is intriguing.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
The idea is that with Cully at FS, he is further back to see the play develop, and would less often be in a trail position and unable to track the ball's path. Sick 4.3 range, length, and good size for a safety is intriguing.

I think that speed is why they try to keep him at corner. Look at it this way - they have a physical Seahawks-style corner, but unlike the Seahawks corners, he has elite speed. Sherman is at about 4.55 and Browner is over 4.6. Those guys are not fast for corners. Culliver is the best of both worlds at corner.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by cools:
Culliver also started at FS in South Carolina, Many scouting reports had him best suited as an NFL safety
So the idea does have merit.

With that said, I doubt the Niners move him, I think he's the future LCB
The Niner FS needs to be able to diagnose plays, handle the helmet mic, and be a field leader
Im not so sure Culli has those attributes

I think Rogers would be very good in that role, though I doubt he's in the Niners long term plans with that salary

the only MATURE answer on this thread.... lol

lol, I wouldn't mind seeing Cully at safety, but I think there's zero chance that will happen. And honestly, I think his play this year is going to surprise a lot of people.

Agreed with all points
What can whitner teach reid? how constantly get beat for TD.. Whitner is a dying breed, a SS that can't cover, however he does offer leadership,but that doesn't triumph play on the field. I would rather have C.rogers a FS, then Whitner at SS, he was getting burned before the pass rush disappeared.
I think Baalke dreams of Culliver on one side with 4.4 speed and Marcus Cooper on the other with 4.4 speed - two tall, physical corners with elite speed - basically beating Seattle at its own game. And, if Cooper doesn't show them enough this year, that first round pick next year is going to be one of the best corners in the draft.
One thing to keep in mind about Whitner - Craig Dahl is actually listed as a strong safety. If Whitner doesn't bring his A game and start defending some passes, we could be seeing Reid/Dahl as the safeties before the year is out.
Because we are not playing madden.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Love to see someone step up and take Whit's spot, but that player may not be on the team yet

Im kinda rooting for Robinson to do that

If no one steps up, draft Reids LSU teamate Craig Loston
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I think that speed is why they try to keep him at corner. Look at it this way - they have a physical Seahawks-style corner, but unlike the Seahawks corners, he has elite speed. Sherman is at about 4.55 and Browner is over 4.6. Those guys are not fast for corners. Culliver is the best of both worlds at corner.

I can live with that too.... I'm easy like that.

I can live with that too.... I'm easy like that.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I wouldn't mind at all if they moved him to safety and I agree with you that his speed would make for tremendous range. Reid also has elite speed. Culliver may eventually be at safety if they use their first round pick on a corner next year.

I wouldn't compare Culliver with Seahawks corners. Browner and Sherman are both like 6'4 in height, way more imposing and physical at the line. Type of guys you want covering duos like White & Julio Jones.

I would like Culliver to be more like a Revis type, that's a good comparison!
[ Edited by verb1der on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
I wouldn't compare Culliver with Seahawks corners. Browner and Sherman are both like 6'4 in height, way more imposing and physical at the line. Type of guys you want covering duos like White & Julio Jones.

I would like Culliver to be more like a Revis type, that's a good comparison!

Sherman is 6'3" and Browner is 6'4". Culliver is about 6'1" and Marcus Cooper is 6'3". I think that's in the ball park and both have much better speed than Sherman and Browner.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home