There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
This isn't good news. Brown is probably going nuts about losing that money. He is obviously not happy about it, and it's going to weigh on his mind during the season. You want your players happy. You don't want them to think that you got one over on them.

If it is indeed a fact that Brown unwittingly lost out on his $2 million, would it not have been in good faith for the team to have at least called him and reminded him that he had this escalater clause in his contract?

I think that it shows poor class on the team's part to have remained silent and have not at least put him on notice. That's just cheap; they're supposed to be a family . . . a team. You don't build good team chemistry acting like that.

The team did nothing wrong. They can't be held responsible for reminding 90 guys of what they need to do in order to make money on their contracts. I'd love to see the team and Brown find a way to recoup some of that money. Maybe a savvy extension would work.
Doe!!!!
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Brown said he did what he always did, so maybe it wasn't just this offseason that cost him money but the other years too?
Great opportunity for the team to gain goodwill in locker room by being shrewd and making up something to brown (even $500k)
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Great opportunity for the team to gain goodwill in locker room by being shrewd and making up something to brown (even $500k)

Exactly. Make it up to him and maybe he returns the favor next year when we try to sign him long term. Dude plays hard and is a true Niner. While it is money I can't see the 49ers not giving in a little and hooking him up. Doubt they give the full 2 million but we will see.

Probably can also sue his agent to get back his 10% (is that what they get) of the money he paid him from his last contract. That is about 800k right there.
[ Edited by SportsFan on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM ]
It's Brown's responsibility to keep track of his contract. If his agent had any access to investments I'd run for legal assistance. Did the 49ers have any obligation to inform TBrown after missing his first practice? Should they reimburse him for his mistake? If the team compensates him in any way will his agent sue for his percentage?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Brown, who participated in the team's mandatory minicamp in June, emerged as arguably San Francisco's most reliable cornerback last year in his second full season as a starter. According to Pro Football Focus, he surrendered one touchdown in 19 games (including the postseason) and quarterbacks had a 77.7 rating when throwing in his direction. Since 2011, he's started all 37 games, including the playoffs.

What was that now about Asomugha being better than Brown??
This is gonna be a bad season, too many distractions, injuries, ect. -Players getting suspended, holding out, unsure of their future, the focus is dead.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This is gonna be a bad season, too many distractions, injuries, ect. -Players getting suspended, holding out, unsure of their future, the focus is dead.

super bowl loser curse.
Matt Barrows is saying Brown learned of the 2 million dollar loss this AM & then immediately fired his agent.

I don't know if he means he terminated his business relationship with his agent or if he actually set him on fire.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by valrod33:
He is gonna lost his job to Awesomemuah if he holds out. BOOK IT

no way lol, he 10 times better.

If you let Asomugha play man coverage, no chance this statement is true. Even last season, when Nnamdi was allowed to play man, he shut down Megatron (!). They switch to zone and Megatron puts up 100+. The guy can still shut WRs down if they allow him to play to his strengths.

Personally, I think Brown is overrated on this forum. He was our best CB last year, but that isn't saying much. He is good, but he'll never be mentioned among the best.

Asomugha, if even half as good as he was in Oakland, is the best CB we have.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
This isn't good news. Brown is probably going nuts about losing that money. He is obviously not happy about it, and it's going to weigh on his mind during the season. You want your players happy. You don't want them to think that you got one over on them.

If it is indeed a fact that Brown unwittingly lost out on his $2 million, would it not have been in good faith for the team to have at least called him and reminded him that he had this escalater clause in his contract?

I think that it shows poor class on the team's part to have remained silent and have not at least put him on notice. That's just cheap; they're supposed to be a family . . . a team. You don't build good team chemistry acting like that.

The team did nothing wrong. They can't be held responsible for reminding 90 guys of what they need to do in order to make money on their contracts. I'd love to see the team and Brown find a way to recoup some of that money. Maybe a savvy extension would work.

Niners did nothing wrong legally. But I disagree with you.

A sound and ethical organization is responsible for and to its employees. Position coaches should be in touch with their players. They should also be aware of what incentives are in place to get their charges into camp. This is a highly personalized business. Look after your guys. You've got to go above and beyond what's the legal minimum. At least let the player know that there may be incentives lost. Then let the player make a fully informed decision. To me this reflects poorly on the organization. Actually, I can't imagine Tomsula letting this happen to one of his guys.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Matt Barrows is saying Brown learned of the 2 million dollar loss this AM & then immediately fired his agent.

I don't know if he means he terminated his business relationship with his agent or if he actually set him on fire.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-camp-report-dahl-williams-line-starters

Fired agent: CB Tarell Brown told reporters who cover the 49ers that he found out via Twitter on Thursday that he forfeited $2 million in salary for this season for not attending the 49ers' offseason workout program. After he learned his base salary was dropped to $925,000 in the final year of his contract, Brown told reporters that he immediately called his agent, Brian Overstreet, and fired him. With a good season, Brown figures to earn a nice contract for next season — and a nice commission for his new agent.

A sound and ethical organization is responsible for and to its employees. Position coaches should be in touch with their players. They should also be aware of what incentives are in place to get their charges into camp. This is a highly personalized business. Look after your guys. You've got to go above and beyond what's the legal minimum. At least let the player know that there may be incentives lost. Then let the player make a fully informed decision. To me this reflects poorly on the organization. Actually, I can't imagine Tomsula letting this happen to one of his guys.

Respectfully disagree. These are grown men that should take care of their own situations. Plus, their agents should be there to assist. Position coaches and everyone else has their own responsibilities.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

You are making quite a few assumptions here. For one, you are assuming that it's common place for coaches to know what is in a player's contract. I think coaches have enough on their plate than to go through each guy's contract. In all likelihood, no one knew about this until it was too late. At the end of the day, it's the player's responsibility to know what they need to do to fulfill their contracts. I have a hard time imagining that position coaches are reminding grown men that they have a work-out bonus they need to show up for. Regardless, pointing a finger at the Niners for unethical business practices is ridiculous at this juncture as there isn't a shred of evidence to support that opinion.