There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

If he does hold out, it's a pretty bad strategy. His agent I would hope -- since he's leaving it up to him -- would advise against it seeing as Brown would stand an enormous chance of losing a starting job.

With a loaded position, including promising developmental talent.. it would be terribly unwise of him to hold out. Even without Brown.. we still have Rogers, Culliver, Asomugha, Cox, Brock, and rookies Cooper and Morris. Not to mention the team could still look at Eric Wright to play Brown's role in our scheme. That's 8 DBs.

Who knows if he's actually going to attempt to hold out, but with all that said.. no one is really going to care or miss him if he does.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I hope it's #3. I want Brown to remain a 49ers for at least 3-4 more years. He's a solid CB.

Would you rather extend Brown, at a position where we can upgrade in the draft, or keep a all pro LG Iupati. Plus we need to keep Aldon, Kap, Cully and maybe Crabs.

I think Brown, Rogers and a few others like Haralson, Dixon, Goodwin are expendable.
Ok, AB, I think I get it. There's no way we could be negotiating off the radar with Brown when we really need to re-up Aldon, Iupati, Kap, Culliver. Wow, in that's the case , then was sheer stupidity. Hey, didn't hurt us, only him. Wow, somebody muffed up bad. Thanks, AB. I thot for a minute that maybe JoeC's option 3 might be credible. Based on what you pointed out...it isn't. Thanks, bud.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by GEEK:
I hope it's #3. I want Brown to remain a 49ers for at least 3-4 more years. He's a solid CB.

Would you rather extend Brown, at a position where we can upgrade in the draft, or keep a all pro LG Iupati. Plus we need to keep Aldon, Kap, Cully and maybe Crabs.

I think Brown, Rogers and a few others like Haralson, Dixon, Goodwin are expendable.

agreed, no way any of those players will be around when we need to extend lupati,kap,aldon, and still holding out hope but i think crabs will be gone too.
Brown is a boss. hope he stays.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by GEEK:
I hope it's #3. I want Brown to remain a 49ers for at least 3-4 more years. He's a solid CB.

Would you rather extend Brown, at a position where we can upgrade in the draft, or keep a all pro LG Iupati. Plus we need to keep Aldon, Kap, Cully and maybe Crabs.

I think Brown, Rogers and a few others like Haralson, Dixon, Goodwin are expendable.

I agree. I like Brown but he's at the awkward age situation where if we give him a deal more than a few years he will end up like Rogers. Decent but over paid. I hope we let him walk.
What an idiot
I read this as "Brown skips workout and loses out on getting a $2M escalator"
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,958
His agent has to get some of the blame. It's his job to be aware of things like this that are in his contract.
Rumor is that he skipped out so he wouldn't take drug test, because c'mon he can't be that stupid
Originally posted by socalniner:
Rumor is that he skipped out so he wouldn't take drug test, because c'mon he can't be that stupid

any links?
Let's not pretend like Brown is a nobody now. He's still the best, if not second best behind Cully, cover corner (jury is out on Nnamdi). If things went differently, he'd be a hero for his forced fumble on Rice. He is important to the success of this defense in 13-14. He's not someone you just say "oh F him then, we don't need him".
Hold on... will this save us cap room?
Originally posted by thl408:
Let's not pretend like Brown is a nobody now. He's still the best, if not second best behind Cully, cover corner (jury is out on Nnamdi). If things went differently, he'd be a hero for his forced fumble on Rice. He is important to the success of this defense in 13-14. He's not someone you just say "oh F him then, we don't need him".

Honestly, as long as we can keep our front 7 dominant, it really doesn't matter who we throw out there. We'll collect 'cheap' FAs like Rogers / Asomugha every year to fill voids, but I think it's pretty evident that Baalke's strategy is to pay for front 7 and not secondary.
This isn't good news. Brown is probably going nuts about losing that money. He is obviously not happy about it, and it's going to weigh on his mind during the season. You want your players happy. You don't want them to think that you got one over on them.
...