There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
niners gotta fix this to keep the good vibes in the locker room
Not so sure.

The more I think about this, the harder it gets to understand.

I feel bad for Brown, but the team has to proceed with caution.

How are the players who participated in the off season workouts to get their money going to feel if Brown gets his money without participating.

I can't wait to see what eventually happens.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Not so sure.

How are the players who participated in the off season workouts to get their money going to feel if Brown gets his money without participating.

I have my doubts the team is going to simply give him anything. As much as it sucks to see a guy lose that kind of money that could have been avoided, I think the Niners see it as money freed up to sign guys like Iupati and/or Crabs to extensions. The only thing I can see happening is working out an extension for Brown and sweetening the deal with a little bit extra to appease his loss. However, that's assuming they are planning on working out an extension with him to begin with. I really wish they could just slip him some dough under the table or find a way to get him some money in a cap friendly way.
Originally posted by buck:
Not so sure.

This is very true. Either Brown got some really bad advice or didn't read the fine print. It does suck to lose that kind of money but with his play this year, he has an opportunity to earn every bit of it back and then some. This may be a really good thing for him, as that fire he had to earn a big contract may have just exploded through the roof.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Brown, you mad bro...

I don't blame him. That's like your lawyer telling you, "hey you don't need to show up for court today, it's just paperwork stuff", then next thing you know a policeman is showing up at your door and handcuffing you for not showing up.

No it's worse than that. It's like the lawyer forgot to tell Hernandez that there was a 1 year probation plead deal on the table, but instead the case went to trial

• Bodhi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I'm guessing you are arguing for the sake of arguing but perhaps it's a matter of my expecting all human being to be responsible for their own lives. Life's lessons can be tough...but Brown is still the guy who has his own interests at heart more than any other.

It makes me sad that Kareem Abdul Jabbar was broke shortly after retiring from the NBA, but it was his responsibility to make wise decisions in life. He didn't and his money was "stolen" by crooked agents and others. The crooks should go to jail but the player should also take personal responsibility for his mistakes...which Jabbar did. I think Brown will as well. He has fired his agent and is now trying to put things together...no doubt paying more attention to his contract in the future. He hasn't blamed the 49ers or cried about it so maybe lesson learned?
But what is the point of having an agent if you're going to take complete responsibility for your contract? Brown could have saved hundreds of thousands over the course of his career by just not having one

The lesson learned was that he needs to be more careful with who he hires, not that he needs to take a course in contract law so that he can manage his own contract
Originally posted by Bodhi:
But what is the point of having an agent if you're going to take complete responsibility for your contract? Brown could have saved hundreds of thousands over the course of his career by just not having one

The lesson learned was that he needs to be more careful with who he hires, not that he needs to take a course in contract law so that he can manage his own contract

Exactly! But as for taking a course...perhaps a reading course would be in line...he doesn't have to be a rocket scientist or a lawyer.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for Pillbusta.
The agent is responsible. The agent didn't do his job. T Brown job was to play football. Brown did his job well. The agent dropped the ball. No excuse to be made for overstreet
No excuse for the agent...no excuse for Brown.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
The agent is responsible. The agent didn't do his job. T Brown job was to play football. Brown did his job well. The agent dropped the ball. No excuse to be made for overstreet

Brown should of been at 49ers HQ. He should of read the contract, he is to blame also. The 49ers aren't gonna fork over $2M to say we're sorry you and your agent are dumbasses.
niners better not give brown s**t unless it's a contract extension that puts some cash in his pocket and locks him up for a few years. not the teams responsibility to compensate brown when he didn't live up to his end of the contract
Originally posted by frenchmov:
niners better not give brown s**t unless it's a contract extension that puts some cash in his pocket and locks him up for a few years. not the teams responsibility to compensate brown when he didn't live up to his end of the contract

He's an upcoming free agent. No way we pay him extra without an extension.
I'd like to see the FO give him a chance to earn it back based on great play and making it back to the SB

Definitely the agent is to blame but so is Brown.

If all of us here knew it, he surely should have known it.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I'd like to see the FO give him a chance to earn it back based on great play and making it back to the SB

He's in a contract year. He already has enough incentive.

Brown should sue.