There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Training Camp Notes:

Tarell Brown – He said he couldn't focus during yesterday's practice, but he was locked in today. He didn't give up a single catch. A.J. Jenkins could not separate from Brown's coverage. Quarterbacks rarely even looked Brown's way.

So it looks like his offseason conditioning program worked....?

Brown, you mad bro...

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Training Camp Notes:

Tarell Brown – He said he couldn't focus during yesterday's practice, but he was locked in today. He didn't give up a single catch. A.J. Jenkins could not separate from Brown's coverage. Quarterbacks rarely even looked Brown's way.

So it looks like his offseason conditioning program worked....?

Brown, you mad bro...

LOL.
now some other agents are saying the niners should have contacted brown to tell him about his contract stipulations? are you kidding me? we have 90+ guys to worry about, plus coaches and other s**t. not the teams responsibility to reiterate agreed upon contract details 4 years later or whatever
Dumbass agents. Do your job.
All those other agents are doing is trying to defend themselves. They all know it's not the teams job to call individual players and tell them the little details about their contract. THAT'S WHY PLAYERS HIRE AGENTS.
niners gotta fix this to keep the good vibes in the locker room
Brown, you mad bro...

I don't blame him. That's like your lawyer telling you, "hey you don't need to show up for court today, it's just paperwork stuff", then next thing you know a policeman is showing up at your door and handcuffing you for not showing up.
Originally posted by susweel:
niners gotta fix this to keep the good vibes in the locker room
If Brown is in the 9ers plans for the next few years, it seems like a short extension full of reasonable incentives for this year would do the trick - a few interceptions for $250k, 65% of snaps another $250k, etc
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Brown, you mad bro...

I don't blame him. That's like your lawyer telling you, "hey you don't need to show up for court today, it's just paperwork stuff", then next thing you know a policeman is showing up at your door and handcuffing you for not showing up.

No it's worse than that. It's like the lawyer forgot to tell Hernandez that there was a 1 year probation plead deal on the table, but instead the case went to trial
I'm thinking the team should renegotiate Brown's contract for this season to get some of that money lost back to him, not all of it of course, but it would go a long way to having him resign with the team long term instead of bolting for the highest bidder.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The agent is most at fault, obviously. But Brown also has some fault in not trying to understand the contract himself. I mean, it's his f**king contract that pays him millions of dollars. You bet he's learned his lesson and will now make sure he understands his contract next time.

If Brown could read his contract and understand all the ins and outs...he wouldn't need an agent now, would he?

If the Niners take advantage of this to screw Brown, they'll look like douches...who tried to take advantage of a technicality (ala TO's agent failing to file Free Agency papers on time) to screw a player and gain an advantage.

I hope the organization has graduated from that type of penny wise/dollar foolishness.

No need to condescend.

My point was, no matter what you pay an agent to do, you have millions of dollars at stake and should attempt to know as much as you can. Like I said, the agent failed and is mostly to blame, but let's not pretend Brown has no fault in this.
The office should not have to notify Brown of anything. Its his job to know what's In His contract. That's his and his agents job. He is a professional football player not a highschool student who has to have the office call him for missing school.
Now with that said the Niners could "help" him regain some of this money in a new deal that's fair to both parties. But if they just bend over then other players will try to take advantage of issues in the future.
Dude is gonna get PAID after this year either way!
Originally posted by Bodhi:
I'm guessing the reason why Brown fired his agent is because his agent didn't make it clear that he needed to show up. If the agent had made it clear then Brown would have been at camp on time.

What kind of agent is so out of touch with his client that he doesn't see a problem when Brown is practicing alone in Texas even though it will cause him $2 million?

Brown's job is solely to get ready for the NFL season and be the best player that he can be. The agent's job is to handle the contract and he's the one who failed

I'm guessing you are arguing for the sake of arguing but perhaps it's a matter of my expecting all human being to be responsible for their own lives. Life's lessons can be tough...but Brown is still the guy who has his own interests at heart more than any other.

It makes me sad that Kareem Abdul Jabbar was broke shortly after retiring from the NBA, but it was his responsibility to make wise decisions in life. He didn't and his money was "stolen" by crooked agents and others. The crooks should go to jail but the player should also take personal responsibility for his mistakes...which Jabbar did. I think Brown will as well. He has fired his agent and is now trying to put things together...no doubt paying more attention to his contract in the future. He hasn't blamed the 49ers or cried about it so maybe lesson learned?
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
My only concern from the Niners side is that Brown found out via Twitter. You think someone could have picked up the phone to let him know (I'm assuming that the news of his lost wages originated from within the organization). If they knew and decided to put the information out there before informing Brown, that doesn't bode well for their intentions in appeasing Brown.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home