LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The agent is most at fault, obviously. But Brown also has some fault in not trying to understand the contract himself. I mean, it's his f**king contract that pays him millions of dollars. You bet he's learned his lesson and will now make sure he understands his contract next time.

If Brown could read his contract and understand all the ins and outs...he wouldn't need an agent now, would he?

If the Niners take advantage of this to screw Brown, they'll look like douches...who tried to take advantage of a technicality (ala TO's agent failing to file Free Agency papers on time) to screw a player and gain an advantage.

I hope the organization has graduated from that type of penny wise/dollar foolishness.
Seems to me like the solution is pretty simple.

The 9ers offer Brown a new contract for another 2-3 years after this one. They add the extra $2 million he would have made this year into that contract, but negotiate hard on the rest of the deal. Nothing ruthless, just not top dollar.

That way Brown gets his money back, and a long term deal.

And the 9ers lock up a player at a decent price without having to worry about them hitting free agency.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
What would Eddie D. do?

Eddie D would slide the 2 Million under the table.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
What would Eddie D. do?

Hah!
Originally posted by Bodhi:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Funny...but how else can he learn? A contract for football...and education! Priceless!

So you think he is incapable of understanding those clauses worth two million? I can understand not knowing every detail, but any decent agent would make a simple list of what he needed to absolutely do to maintain the integrity of his contract. Working out with the team is not a difficult concept or obscure. It is likely one of the most common clauses in football. A list would be fairly easy to create:

1) Show up
2) Do not murder anyone, if you are in jail you won't be able to do number one
3) Practice and play
4) Cash check

I'm guessing the reason why Brown fired his agent is because his agent didn't make it clear that he needed to show up. If the agent had made it clear then Brown would have been at camp on time.

What kind of agent is so out of touch with his client that he doesn't see a problem when Brown is practicing alone in Texas even though it will cause him $2 million?

Brown's job is solely to get ready for the NFL season and be the best player that he can be. The agent's job is to handle the contract and he's the one who failed

Almost every player (except those on franchise tag IIRC) has workout bonuses tied to showing up at voluntary practices. When you as a player make the decision NOT to show up, you better know how much money you're giving up.
Training Camp Notes:

Tarell Brown – He said he couldn't focus during yesterday's practice, but he was locked in today. He didn't give up a single catch. A.J. Jenkins could not separate from Brown's coverage. Quarterbacks rarely even looked Brown's way.

So it looks like his offseason conditioning program worked....?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
What would Eddie D. do?

Hah!

Lol, yeah he would.
hopefully this parlays into an extension. I don't want anything real long term since he's approaching 30 and IMO isn't worth top $ but a 2-4 year deal at the right price would be nice
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Training Camp Notes:

Tarell Brown – He said he couldn't focus during yesterday's practice, but he was locked in today. He didn't give up a single catch. A.J. Jenkins could not separate from Brown's coverage. Quarterbacks rarely even looked Brown's way.

Brown, you mad bro...

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Training Camp Notes:

Brown, you mad bro...

LOL.

now some other agents are saying the niners should have contacted brown to tell him about his contract stipulations? are you kidding me? we have 90+ guys to worry about, plus coaches and other s**t. not the teams responsibility to reiterate agreed upon contract details 4 years later or whatever
Dumbass agents. Do your job.
All those other agents are doing is trying to defend themselves. They all know it's not the teams job to call individual players and tell them the little details about their contract. THAT'S WHY PLAYERS HIRE AGENTS.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
niners gotta fix this to keep the good vibes in the locker room
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Brown, you mad bro...

I don't blame him. That's like your lawyer telling you, "hey you don't need to show up for court today, it's just paperwork stuff", then next thing you know a policeman is showing up at your door and handcuffing you for not showing up.
Share 49ersWebzone