LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I did not say that the Niners engaged in unethical business practices.
Nor did I say that coaches have to go through a players contract.
And this bit about a person having a handle on every aspect of their professional life just because he is a "grown man" is a bit of a non sequitur. Everyone needs help. It would be nice if the person with arguably the closest relationship with you professionally, your position coach, demonstrated that he had a broader concern over your well being.
A good manager becomes a great manager if he takes it upon himself to do more than the bare minimum for his guys.
For example: If I were the HC, I would instruct all of my position coaches to keep track of the activities of each player who falls within my area of responsibility. Especially when it comes to team practice activities. Find out if he's gonna show for team activities, even optional ones. Encourage him to do so. Remind him to check if there may not be incentives associated with his attendance. Ask him if everything is OK at home? Is there something he could do to help? A guy will work harder for someone who he thinks cares about him beyond just trying to get something out of him. There should be a checklist of stuff and questions that position coaches should be encouraged to put to the player.
If the coach does everything he can to put the player on notice and the player elects not to follow through, then he is making an informed choice.
Anyway, that's what I think I would expect from a good coach.

This doesnt fall back on anyother than Brown and his agent. The coaches are busy enough, no need to have them spend hour duplicating the efforts of an agent.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I did not say that the Niners engaged in unethical business practices.
Nor did I say that coaches have to go through a players contract.
And this bit about a person having a handle on every aspect of their professional life just because he is a "grown man" is a bit of a non sequitur. Everyone needs help. It would be nice if the person with arguably the closest relationship with you professionally, your position coach, demonstrated that he had a broader concern over your well being.
A good manager becomes a great manager if he takes it upon himself to do more than the bare minimum for his guys.
For example: If I were the HC, I would instruct all of my position coaches to keep track of the activities of each player who falls within my area of responsibility. Especially when it comes to team practice activities. Find out if he's gonna show for team activities, even optional ones. Encourage him to do so. Remind him to check if there may not be incentives associated with his attendance. Ask him if everything is OK at home? Is there something he could do to help? A guy will work harder for someone who he thinks cares about him beyond just trying to get something out of him. There should be a checklist of stuff and questions that position coaches should be encouraged to put to the player.
If the coach does everything he can to put the player on notice and the player elects not to follow through, then he is making an informed choice.
Anyway, that's what I think I would expect from a good coach.

I think that this is all the agent's fault. I am sure T Brown hired the guy because he felt that he was best prepared to look after the money side of things. The 49ers job is to help him with the football side of things and they have done just that under Harbaugh. The 49ers have also both encouraged and provided state of the art facilities and top tier strength coaches and staff for all 90 of the players to utilize. The 49er veterans are basically in this facility year round and the trainers are available to be consulted and utilized. T Brown probably wanted to better position himself for his big payday by working out on his own and the 49ers want to position themselves better by maintaining cap space flexibility and accumulating draft picks in order to sustain success. The coaches are going to focus on football and Baalke and the player agents should be focused on the money side of things. Epic failure by T Brown's agent
I think you guys are missing the point, now the 49ers can use that money to renegotiate a longer term deal with Brown and look like heroes.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
This doesnt fall back on anyother than Brown and his agent. The coaches are busy enough, no need to have them spend hour duplicating the efforts of an agent.

Plus the poster saying the Niners should have told him, you are assuming they assumed he didn't know. Maybe the organization figure him skipping was his way of preparing for a hold out.

What do you expect the team to do?

Hey T. Brown you know by working out at home you lose out on 2 million?

Ya I know. This is my way of showing my displeasure with my current contract and I plan on holding out.

OK. Great. Just wanted to make sure you weren't over looking something.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It sets a bad precedence.

The Niners can set the precedent[sic] by taking the high road and showing everyone they do well by their employees.
Offer him an 3 mil 1 year extension. That would give him back some of that $$$ and give us another corner for 2014.
Getting tired of this "entitlement" mentality pervasive nowadays....he's a grown ass man (who hired another grown ass man to look out for him), both of them failed. He (rightly) took it out on his agent...learn from the experience and move on. The team and his teammates had NO obligation to remind him of his incentive to participate in the VOLUNTARY offseason workouts or risk losing $2M...that onus was solely on TB and agent

Should the team extend a measure of goodwill and try to allay some if the lost $? Of course, they shouldn't be heartless pricks....but it should be timed tactfully (I.e. later in the season when this little misadventure is largely forgotten) to save face on both sides and not make it look like setting a precedent of compensating poor responsibility on a player's part, or making it look like TB forced the team's hand
First, this is NOT the 49ers fault, responsibility and anything of the kind. Any thoughts to the contrary show a complete lack of understanding how business operates. If you sing a contract you are completely responsible for it. And that's exactly what TB did. He man'd up, didn't act like a crybaby and is holding the ex-agent accountable.

Next, TBrown paid for a service from his agent - essentially to manage his contract. The agent was totally negligent and should be sued for the amount lost plus other damages.

Finally, the team should, IMO, reach out to TB and set up a long-term deal where some or all the money could be recouped. Acting in good faith is in the teams interest and it could be a "WIN-WIN" situation.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Man I say tge Niners just say F it and pay the man. Would be the classy thing to do and would keep a major component of the D happy. It's not like he missed it because he was off partying or something. Make it happen Jed
subtle "doesn't know how contracts work" post
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, this is NOT the 49ers fault, responsibility and anything of the kind. Any thoughts to the contrary show a complete lack of understanding how business operates. If you sing a contract you are completely responsible for it. And that's exactly what TB did. He man'd up, didn't act like a crybaby and is holding the ex-agent accountable.

Next, TBrown paid for a service from his agent - essentially to manage his contract. The agent was totally negligent and should be sued for the amount lost plus other damages.

Finally, the team should, IMO, reach out to TB and set up a long-term deal where some or all the money could be recouped. Acting in good faith is in the teams interest and it could be a "WIN-WIN" situation.

100%%%%%%%%%%

• dugo
  • Veteran
The F.O. or the coach has no responsibility in this...In Article 101.49 of the clause "readurpuckencontract" it states if your signature is on the bottom of all them words your a$$ must adhere to what them words say.. No agent, no head coach, no front office, should of had to tell a full grown professional NFL player how to make his money. He signed his contract ,,and he's trying to say he didn't know ??? WTF thats a couple of million and with that kind of money on the line he himself should of scrutinized that contract before he signed it..
Originally posted by dugo:
The F.O. or the coach has no responsibility in this...In Article 101.49 of the clause "readurpuckencontract" it states if your signature is on the bottom of all them words your a$$ must adhere to what them words say.. No agent, no head coach, no front office, should of had to tell a full grown professional NFL player how to make his money. He signed his contract ,,and he's trying to say he didn't know ??? WTF thats a couple of million and with that kind of money on the line he himself should of scrutinized that contract before he signed it..

We all know it is TB's fault but the 49ers do not want a disgruntled player, especially one that is an important contributor. You want him in the right mindset and I don't think he's going to be in the right mindset until he gets that $2mil back. It's going to be on his mind which will lead to lack of focus.

Hope the 49ers do the right thing here and if Brown sues and wins, then he gives it back to the 49ers.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dugo:

We all know it is TB's fault but the 49ers do not want a disgruntled player, especially one that is an important contributor. You want him in the right mindset and I don't think he's going to be in the right mindset until he gets that $2mil back. It's going to be on his mind which will lead to lack of focus.

Hope the 49ers do the right thing here and if Brown sues and wins, then he gives it back to the 49ers.

I hope they do too and by all rights the FO should make this right for him in some way..Thats a great way to show other players and possible FA that the FO takes care of its own..That was Eddie D's trademark and players wanted to play here for that reason.
I am really torn on this situation. Part of me wants the team to tell TB to screw off, that mistake helps our cap situation. But, it was an obvious mistake. Not sure if it was TB's fault or his agents. Nobody would walk away from 2 million dollars for a voluntary workout. Do you guys think that this makes our front office look bad to the team and potential future FA's if they don't bend a little on this matter?
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
I am really torn on this situation. Part of me wants the team to tell TB to screw off, that mistake helps our cap situation. But, it was an obvious mistake. Not sure if it was TB's fault or his agents. Nobody would walk away from 2 million dollars for a voluntary workout. Do you guys think that this makes our front office look bad to the team and potential future FA's if they don't bend a little on this matter?

I think it makes them look bad if they don't do anything for TB about it. If not giving it to him, they should at least give him a high probability of earning it.
Share 49ersWebzone