There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Originally posted by Hopper:
Eric branch spoke with a former agent that brought up the possibility it doesn't set a good precedence.

"Teams are always concerned about setting a precedent," Corry said. "And that would be their justification for not doing anything: 'We don't want to set the precedent that when someone doesn't adhere to their contract that we reward them.' … They could take the position of 'You know what? That's your fault. You should have shown up during the offseason."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/07/26/whats-next-ex-agent-weighs-in-on-tarell-browns-contract-snafu/

I'll also add in it's ridiculous to blame the Niners. Not there responsibility to tell a player to show up for the offseason workout program considering it's voluntary.

I haven't seen anyone blame the 49ers for this. That would be pretty ridiculous.

I agree that the 49ers don't owe Brown anything. They are not obligated to do anything. But it would be nice to see the team take care of a guy entering his 7th year with the franchise. I'm not saying just hand him the $2 mil, but rather allow him the chance to re-coup some of it through incentives during the season (starts, INTs, playoff appearance, etc..). It could be a powerful message sent across the league, to let potential free agents know that the 49ers take care of their players.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:43 AM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You are making quite a few assumptions here. For one, you are assuming that it's common place for coaches to know what is in a player's contract. I think coaches have enough on their plate than to go through each guy's contract. In all likelihood, no one knew about this until it was too late. At the end of the day, it's the player's responsibility to know what they need to do to fulfill their contracts. I have a hard time imagining that position coaches are reminding grown men that they have a work-out bonus they need to show up for. Regardless, pointing a finger at the Niners for unethical business practices is ridiculous at this juncture as there isn't a shred of evidence to support that opinion.

I did not say that the Niners engaged in unethical business practices.
Nor did I say that coaches have to go through a players contract.
And this bit about a person having a handle on every aspect of their professional life just because he is a "grown man" is a bit of a non sequitur. Everyone needs help. It would be nice if the person with arguably the closest relationship with you professionally, your position coach, demonstrated that he had a broader concern over your well being.
A good manager becomes a great manager if he takes it upon himself to do more than the bare minimum for his guys.
For example: If I were the HC, I would instruct all of my position coaches to keep track of the activities of each player who falls within my area of responsibility. Especially when it comes to team practice activities. Find out if he's gonna show for team activities, even optional ones. Encourage him to do so. Remind him to check if there may not be incentives associated with his attendance. Ask him if everything is OK at home? Is there something he could do to help? A guy will work harder for someone who he thinks cares about him beyond just trying to get something out of him. There should be a checklist of stuff and questions that position coaches should be encouraged to put to the player.
If the coach does everything he can to put the player on notice and the player elects not to follow through, then he is making an informed choice.
Anyway, that's what I think I would expect from a good coach.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I haven't seen anyone blame the 49ers for this. That would be pretty ridiculous.

I agree that the 49ers don't owe Brown anything. They are not obligated to do anything. But it would be nice to see the team take care of a guy entering his 7th year with the franchise. I'm not saying just hand him the $2 mil, but rather allow him the chance to re-coup some of it through incentives during the season (starts, INTs, playoff appearance, etc..). It could be a powerful message sent across the league, to let potential free agents know that the 49ers take care of their players.

Brown is out of luck for having an idiot for an agent.
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by valrod33:
He is gonna lost his job to Awesomemuah if he holds out. BOOK IT

no way lol, he 10 times better.

LOL??? Brown better than Awesomemuah?

he might not be 10 times better,, but he definetly is better than nnamdi
We don't know that yet. We haven't even seen Nnamdi play a game in a niners uniform yet.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
And this bit about a person having a handle on every aspect of their professional life just because he is a "grown man" is a bit of a non sequitur. Everyone needs help. It would be nice if the person with arguably the closest relationship with you professionally, your position coach, demonstrated that he had a broader concern over your well being.
A good manager becomes a great manager if he takes it upon himself to do more than the bare minimum for his guys.
For example: If I were the HC, I would instruct all of my position coaches to keep track of the activities of each player who falls within my area of responsibility. Especially when it comes to team practice activities. Find out if he's gonna show for team activities, even optional ones. Encourage him to do so. Remind him to check if there may not be incentives associated with his attendance. Ask him if everything is OK at home? Is there something he could do to help? A guy will work harder for someone who he thinks cares about him beyond just trying to get something out of him. There should be a checklist of stuff and questions that position coaches should be encouraged to put to the player.
If the coach does everything he can to put the player on notice and the player elects not to follow through, then he is making an informed choice.

This doesnt fall back on anyother than Brown and his agent. The coaches are busy enough, no need to have them spend hour duplicating the efforts of an agent.

I think that this is all the agent's fault. I am sure T Brown hired the guy because he felt that he was best prepared to look after the money side of things. The 49ers job is to help him with the football side of things and they have done just that under Harbaugh. The 49ers have also both encouraged and provided state of the art facilities and top tier strength coaches and staff for all 90 of the players to utilize. The 49er veterans are basically in this facility year round and the trainers are available to be consulted and utilized. T Brown probably wanted to better position himself for his big payday by working out on his own and the 49ers want to position themselves better by maintaining cap space flexibility and accumulating draft picks in order to sustain success. The coaches are going to focus on football and Baalke and the player agents should be focused on the money side of things. Epic failure by T Brown's agent
I think you guys are missing the point, now the 49ers can use that money to renegotiate a longer term deal with Brown and look like heroes.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
This doesnt fall back on anyother than Brown and his agent. The coaches are busy enough, no need to have them spend hour duplicating the efforts of an agent.

Plus the poster saying the Niners should have told him, you are assuming they assumed he didn't know. Maybe the organization figure him skipping was his way of preparing for a hold out.

What do you expect the team to do?

Hey T. Brown you know by working out at home you lose out on 2 million?

Ya I know. This is my way of showing my displeasure with my current contract and I plan on holding out.

OK. Great. Just wanted to make sure you weren't over looking something.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It sets a bad precedence.

The Niners can set the precedent[sic] by taking the high road and showing everyone they do well by their employees.
Offer him an 3 mil 1 year extension. That would give him back some of that $$$ and give us another corner for 2014.
Getting tired of this "entitlement" mentality pervasive nowadays....he's a grown ass man (who hired another grown ass man to look out for him), both of them failed. He (rightly) took it out on his agent...learn from the experience and move on. The team and his teammates had NO obligation to remind him of his incentive to participate in the VOLUNTARY offseason workouts or risk losing $2M...that onus was solely on TB and agent

Should the team extend a measure of goodwill and try to allay some if the lost $? Of course, they shouldn't be heartless pricks....but it should be timed tactfully (I.e. later in the season when this little misadventure is largely forgotten) to save face on both sides and not make it look like setting a precedent of compensating poor responsibility on a player's part, or making it look like TB forced the team's hand
First, this is NOT the 49ers fault, responsibility and anything of the kind. Any thoughts to the contrary show a complete lack of understanding how business operates. If you sing a contract you are completely responsible for it. And that's exactly what TB did. He man'd up, didn't act like a crybaby and is holding the ex-agent accountable.

Next, TBrown paid for a service from his agent - essentially to manage his contract. The agent was totally negligent and should be sued for the amount lost plus other damages.

Finally, the team should, IMO, reach out to TB and set up a long-term deal where some or all the money could be recouped. Acting in good faith is in the teams interest and it could be a "WIN-WIN" situation.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Man I say tge Niners just say F it and pay the man. Would be the classy thing to do and would keep a major component of the D happy. It's not like he missed it because he was off partying or something. Make it happen Jed
subtle "doesn't know how contracts work" post
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You are making quite a few assumptions here. For one, you are assuming that it's common place for coaches to know what is in a player's contract. I think coaches have enough on their plate than to go through each guy's contract. In all likelihood, no one knew about this until it was too late. At the end of the day, it's the player's responsibility to know what they need to do to fulfill their contracts. I have a hard time imagining that position coaches are reminding grown men that they have a work-out bonus they need to show up for. Regardless, pointing a finger at the Niners for unethical business practices is ridiculous at this juncture as there isn't a shred of evidence to support that opinion.

In reality, you have no idea how above and beyond our staff goes. This whole argument based on assuming our staff does not go the extra mile because they didn't know or let Brown know he had an escalator clause in his contract, is futile. You simply don't know enough to assume they did anything wrong.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, this is NOT the 49ers fault, responsibility and anything of the kind. Any thoughts to the contrary show a complete lack of understanding how business operates. If you sing a contract you are completely responsible for it. And that's exactly what TB did. He man'd up, didn't act like a crybaby and is holding the ex-agent accountable.

Next, TBrown paid for a service from his agent - essentially to manage his contract. The agent was totally negligent and should be sued for the amount lost plus other damages.

Finally, the team should, IMO, reach out to TB and set up a long-term deal where some or all the money could be recouped. Acting in good faith is in the teams interest and it could be a "WIN-WIN" situation.

100%%%%%%%%%%