LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by kray28:
Niners should cut him a break...the Niners do have a responsibility to him. He's a valuable contributor, and I think this was an honest oversight on his part. There's no reason for him to screw himself out of $2 million.

The organization should show some class here and make an exception on the money for him. Don't take advantage of him here.

It's an honorable move like that that will boost the franchise's image to other potential free agents out there.

And perhaps more importantly, it would resonate in the locker room as well. Pretty much any of those guys could have found themselves in his position.

I agree with you guys. It would be an Eddie D type of move. Go above and beyond to take care of your players. Not only will our locker room notice it, but players all around the league will notice it. I want us to regain the reputation for being the classiest organization in the league.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Niners should cut him a break...the Niners do have a responsibility to him. He's a valuable contributor, and I think this was an honest oversight on his part. There's no reason for him to screw himself out of $2 million.

The organization should show some class here and make an exception on the money for him. Don't take advantage of him here.

It's an honorable move like that that will boost the franchise's image to other potential free agents out there.

And perhaps more importantly, it would resonate in the locker room as well. Pretty much any of those guys could have found themselves in his position.

I agree with you guys. It would be an Eddie D type of move. Go above and beyond to take care of your players. Not only will our locker room notice it, but players all around the league will notice it. I want us to regain the reputation for being the classiest organization in the league.

It sets a bad precedence.
  • buck
  • Veteran

First, this is just bizarre. He found out about losing 2 million on twitter.

Brown should have been more aware of his contract.

Nevertheless, it would show a world of class if York and Baalke can find some innovative way to help Brown recover a good share of what he lost.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM ]
If he wants to money back, then it's easy, sign an extension, use the lost 2M as part of a signing bonus proration. Helps Brown, he gets more than 2M up front, and we lock up one of our best CBs, likely our best to be honest.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I don't think it does. The only reason why players ever forfeit that type of money is if they plan on holding out, and they're usually very clear in their intentions. Brown had never expressed a desire to hold out. Even after he lost this money, he's still in training camp and not complaining.

It was an oversight by his agent. Agents make mistakes, but I can't recall when something like this happened. I don't blame Brown for relying on his agent to know the particulars of his contract. They make the damn things so confusing. That workout clause probably spanned 10 pages when it could have been summed up in a few sentences.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
If he wants to money back, then it's easy, sign an extension, use the lost 2M as part of a signing bonus proration. Helps Brown, he gets more than 2M up front, and we lock up one of our best CBs, likely our best to be honest.

I like this scenario.

How so?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Niners did nothing wrong legally. But I disagree with you.

A sound and ethical organization is responsible for and to its employees. Position coaches should be in touch with their players. They should also be aware of what incentives are in place to get their charges into camp. This is a highly personalized business. Look after your guys. You've got to go above and beyond what's the legal minimum. At least let the player know that there may be incentives lost. Then let the player make a fully informed decision. To me this reflects poorly on the organization. Actually, I can't imagine Tomsula letting this happen to one of his guys.

I do not have sufficient knowledge of the standard operating procedures to know what the 49ers should or shouldn't have done.

There are three parties involved in this--the team, the player, and the agent. Placing the onus of the screw-up on the team hardly seems appropriate when two of the three parties are, or should have been, functioning in Brown's interest.

But, established Past Practices is a pretty standard aspect of employee-employer relations. If there is no established past practice of directly contacting players about these matters, the team really cannot be faulted.

Hopefully, Brown, Baalke and York can figure out an amicable solution that enables Brown to recover a good share of the lost money.

Agents must have some legally established fiduciary responsibility to the players they represent.
Brown has to raise this with the player's association. If the agent acted in violation of the player´s best interest, he might be subject to decertification.

edit: Just read the piece on www.nf.com and it seems that the lost money is a result of not attending workouts over the life of the contract, not just this year.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM ]

Read your contract and know what is in it. Stop being such a dumb dolt. Hire an agent who knows how to negociate and read contracts. If you can't get those done tough luck.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Read your contract and know what is in it. Stop being such a dumb dolt. Hire an agent who knows how to negociate and read contracts. If you can't get those done tough luck.

this....it's not the 49ers fault that he hired a retard to be his agent

• Hopper
  • Veteran

How so?
Eric branch spoke with a former agent that brought up the possibility it doesn't set a good precedence.

"Teams are always concerned about setting a precedent," Corry said. "And that would be their justification for not doing anything: 'We don't want to set the precedent that when someone doesn't adhere to their contract that we reward them.' … They could take the position of 'You know what? That's your fault. You should have shown up during the offseason."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/07/26/whats-next-ex-agent-weighs-in-on-tarell-browns-contract-snafu/

I'll also add in it's ridiculous to blame the Niners. Not there responsibility to tell a player to show up for the offseason workout program considering it's voluntary.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
Eric branch spoke with a former agent that brought up the possibility it doesn't set a good precedence.

"Teams are always concerned about setting a precedent," Corry said. "And that would be their justification for not doing anything: 'We don't want to set the precedent that when someone doesn't adhere to their contract that we reward them.' … They could take the position of 'You know what? That's your fault. You should have shown up during the offseason."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/07/26/whats-next-ex-agent-weighs-in-on-tarell-browns-contract-snafu/

I'll also add in it's ridiculous to blame the Niners. Not there responsibility to tell a player to show up for the offseason workout program considering it's voluntary.

I haven't seen anyone blame the 49ers for this. That would be pretty ridiculous.

I agree that the 49ers don't owe Brown anything. They are not obligated to do anything. But it would be nice to see the team take care of a guy entering his 7th year with the franchise. I'm not saying just hand him the $2 mil, but rather allow him the chance to re-coup some of it through incentives during the season (starts, INTs, playoff appearance, etc..). It could be a powerful message sent across the league, to let potential free agents know that the 49ers take care of their players.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:43 AM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You are making quite a few assumptions here. For one, you are assuming that it's common place for coaches to know what is in a player's contract. I think coaches have enough on their plate than to go through each guy's contract. In all likelihood, no one knew about this until it was too late. At the end of the day, it's the player's responsibility to know what they need to do to fulfill their contracts. I have a hard time imagining that position coaches are reminding grown men that they have a work-out bonus they need to show up for. Regardless, pointing a finger at the Niners for unethical business practices is ridiculous at this juncture as there isn't a shred of evidence to support that opinion.

I did not say that the Niners engaged in unethical business practices.
Nor did I say that coaches have to go through a players contract.
And this bit about a person having a handle on every aspect of their professional life just because he is a "grown man" is a bit of a non sequitur. Everyone needs help. It would be nice if the person with arguably the closest relationship with you professionally, your position coach, demonstrated that he had a broader concern over your well being.
A good manager becomes a great manager if he takes it upon himself to do more than the bare minimum for his guys.
For example: If I were the HC, I would instruct all of my position coaches to keep track of the activities of each player who falls within my area of responsibility. Especially when it comes to team practice activities. Find out if he's gonna show for team activities, even optional ones. Encourage him to do so. Remind him to check if there may not be incentives associated with his attendance. Ask him if everything is OK at home? Is there something he could do to help? A guy will work harder for someone who he thinks cares about him beyond just trying to get something out of him. There should be a checklist of stuff and questions that position coaches should be encouraged to put to the player.
If the coach does everything he can to put the player on notice and the player elects not to follow through, then he is making an informed choice.
Anyway, that's what I think I would expect from a good coach.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I haven't seen anyone blame the 49ers for this. That would be pretty ridiculous.

I agree that the 49ers don't owe Brown anything. They are not obligated to do anything. But it would be nice to see the team take care of a guy entering his 7th year with the franchise. I'm not saying just hand him the $2 mil, but rather allow him the chance to re-coup some of it through incentives during the season (starts, INTs, playoff appearance, etc..). It could be a powerful message sent across the league, to let potential free agents know that the 49ers take care of their players.

Brown is out of luck for having an idiot for an agent.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by valrod33:
He is gonna lost his job to Awesomemuah if he holds out. BOOK IT

no way lol, he 10 times better.

LOL??? Brown better than Awesomemuah?

he might not be 10 times better,, but he definetly is better than nnamdi
We don't know that yet. We haven't even seen Nnamdi play a game in a niners uniform yet.
Share 49ersWebzone