LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Tarell Brown skips workout program-voids $2M salary escalator, holdout coming?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Brown said he didn't know about that clause in the deal and only learned of it via Twitter after practice on Thursday. Brown then fired agent Brian Overstreet for the mistake.

"
Brown If I would have known the clauses in my contract -- that's what agents get paid to do, to orchestrate the contract and to let you know what you can and can't do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort.
"

Brown had been due to earn $2.925 million in salary for the 2013 season. The 28-year-old Brown, who is entering his contract year and currently without an agent, worked out on his own this offseason -- something he said he has routinely done.

Had he known about the $2 million, he would have done things differently.

"No one wants to leave money on the table," Brown said. "If I would have known the clauses in my contract -- that's what agents get paid to do, to orchestrate the contract and to let you know what you can and can't do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort. That's what he got paid to do. He didn't do that, so in my opinion you have to be let go. We all are held accountable for our actions. This is part of the business."

what an idiot
give zero f*cks about your contract ---- > blame/ fire agent

LOLOLOLOL
#STUTLIFE
that sucks. i would feel like s**t right now.
Good opportunity for both parties to make right.
Unbelievable. Would be interested in AB' s feelings and in particular, what he thinks of Idaho's suggestion. Unfixed there is going to be bad blood, I would think, between Brown and anything having to do with 49ers.

1) Maybe recover the 10% ( about 800K ) that Brown's agent got for initial contract

2) and 49ers put up a welcome back clause , one day after start date, of $1.2mil, so Brown ends up whole. That way 9ers help out, Brown gets his money, agent gets sued for $800K, and there is no animosity by Brown towards anyone who is 49er related. It would show good will on 9ers part, everyone goes home happy, and

3) 9ers attys help out putting Brown's agent out of business after helping collect the $800K initial fee. Incidentally, a good agent looks after his client always until the next contract.

4) 9ers also get an $800k decrease in the money that they would have had to come up with. Win, win, win....agent loses.

dunno, just a trial balloon. I could see it work...maybe.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM ]
voluntary workouts are for the noobs.

Man I say tge Niners just say F it and pay the man. Would be the classy thing to do and would keep a major component of the D happy. It's not like he missed it because he was off partying or something. Make it happen Jed
I can't really blame Brown on this at all.

You pay your agent a huge amount (what is it, 10%?) to take care of this stuff. You shouldn't have to worry about it for that price.

If anyone is screwed, it's not just Brown, but it's his agent per the report. Stay away!

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/tarell-brown-skips-team-offseason-workouts-loses-2m-escalator/

49ers cornerback Tarell Brown lost an opportunity to make an additional $2 million because he failed to complete the 2013 offseason workout clause in his contract, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Brown, who spent a majority of his offseason in Texas working on increasing his speed, will watch his salary fall from $2.925 million to $925,000. Maybe Texas will be willing to pick up the tab, but we doubt it. Since then, Brown decided to part ways with his agent.

"I no longer have an agent as of now," Brown said after practice via the Sacramento Bee. "… No one wants to leave money on the table. If I would have known the clauses in my contract and that's what agents get paid to do — to orchestrate the contract and let you know what you can and can't do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort. That's what he got paid to do, he didn't do that, so in my opinion he had to be let go."

[ Edited by PineNut on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Good opportunity for both parties to make right.

Hopefully this will allow an extension for less than he would get on the market.... Just lost 2 mil, give him some decent numbers to consider and he may be more willing to sign long extension.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PineNut:
I can't really blame Brown on this at all.

You pay your agent a huge amount (what is it, 10%?) to take care of this stuff. You shouldn't have to worry about it for that price.

If anyone is screwed, it's not just Brown, but it's his agent per the report. Stay away!

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/tarell-brown-skips-team-offseason-workouts-loses-2m-escalator/

49ers cornerback Tarell Brown lost an opportunity to make an additional $2 million because he failed to complete the 2013 offseason workout clause in his contract, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Brown, who spent a majority of his offseason in Texas working on increasing his speed, will watch his salary fall from $2.925 million to $925,000. Maybe Texas will be willing to pick up the tab, but we doubt it. Since then, Brown decided to part ways with his agent.

"I no longer have an agent as of now," Brown said after practice via the Sacramento Bee. "… No one wants to leave money on the table. If I would have known the clauses in my contract and that's what agents get paid to do — to orchestrate the contract and let you know what you can and can't do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort. That's what he got paid to do, he didn't do that, so in my opinion he had to be let go."

Agreed, his job is to play football, not review his contract. His agent should pay his ass a mil for that.
My thoughts are this, he should of known of the clause, he did sign the deal, and if you dont read it yourself, your a moron. The only way he gets the $2M back is if he agrees to a team friendly long term contract. I don't think the 49ers have any responsibility to him. It's harsh, but it's the truth.

Now, if he would take a Carlos Rogers deal, he would be worth it. But if he is looking for a big pay day, like Finnegan(STL) and Carr(DAL) got, he wont get it here. The market wont dictate it. Of course it takes 1 team to do so. But with the cap flat, teams are being more cautious about deals. If he would take a 5yr $33M deal, thats $6.6M a yr average, I say do it. I would love to see Brown and Culliver start for the future at CB, with rooks drafted high to be 3rd and 4th CB. Cut Rogers when time is right.

The thing I would consider if I was Baalke, is trading Rogers, get as much for him, also that $1.25M guarantee he got then goes to the trading team who acquires him. It would result in an extra $1.25M savings. And he would save between $10-$11M over 2 years, with little dead money. Imagine that being used for Kap, Aldon and Iupati.

I hope and plan on doing a podcast on the salary cap for NinersNation.com. So when time comes maybe I can set up a twitter feed to ask certain questions.
Dammit Tarrell. I thought Longhorns acted better than that.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Niners should cut him a break...the Niners do have a responsibility to him. He's a valuable contributor, and I think this was an honest oversight on his part. There's no reason for him to screw himself out of $2 million.

The organization should show some class here and make an exception on the money for him. Don't take advantage of him here.

It's an honorable move like that that will boost the franchise's image to other potential free agents out there.
Originally posted by kray28:
Niners should cut him a break...the Niners do have a responsibility to him. He's a valuable contributor, and I think this was an honest oversight on his part. There's no reason for him to screw himself out of $2 million.

The organization should show some class here and make an exception on the money for him. Don't take advantage of him here.

It's an honorable move like that that will boost the franchise's image to other potential free agents out there.

And perhaps more importantly, it would resonate in the locker room as well. Pretty much any of those guys could have found themselves in his position.
Share 49ersWebzone