LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 323 users in the forums

Could Crabtree be looking for Mike Williams money next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
He will get Franchise Tagged until we find a suitable replacement.

If Jenkins, Patton, Williams, Lockette, Moore and Manningham can't fill the bill then our team needs to hire someone who can evaluate the WR position. This team has not had a legitimate pair of WRs since...hmm...when did Jerry Rice leave? Some of the problem has been due to injury but they keep bringing in guys who are either past their prime or just not quite good enough to solidify the position. Was really looking forward to Boldin and Crabtree playing together with the younger guys learning from them...but another injury...

Year three in the Baalke/Harbaugh regime...time to prove they can find and use receivers effectively.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

I wouldn't be so sure. Just the 2013 franchise tag number for WR is already $10 mil.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If Jenkins, Patton, Williams, Lockette, Moore and Manningham can't fill the bill then our team needs to hire someone who can evaluate the WR position. This team has not had a legitimate pair of WRs since...hmm...when did Jerry Rice leave? Some of the problem has been due to injury but they keep bringing in guys who are either past their prime or just not quite good enough to solidify the position. Was really looking forward to Boldin and Crabtree playing together with the younger guys learning from them...but another injury...

Year three in the Baalke/Harbaugh regime...time to prove they can find and use receivers effectively.

Amen.

I remember I started a thread on finding a franchise WR and I got slammed by many. I don't care, I still stand by my opinion.

You are right, Baalke and Harbaugh is yet to find a great receiver to date. If AJ Jenkins still can't cut it this year, he is going down as a bust as far as I am concerned.

I do wonder whether they will get real serious in drafting a top grade wideout next year though. If they can trade up for Eric Reid, I am sure they can trade up for a top WR too, otherwise why stockpile picks ?!
[ Edited by Rascal on Jul 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:

I wouldn't be so sure. Just the 2013 franchise tag number for WR is already $10 mil.

Exactly. The franchise number at wide receiver is way too high for the way Baalke works. Nope. Baalke will figure a value for a dynamic possession receiver and he won't stray too far from that. If Crabtree wants to play at that number, the team will be able to keep him. But most of us agree that Crabtree will NOT want to play for that number. The key is whether or not anyone steps up this season - I'm especially going to be interested in watching Patton because I think they drafted him specifically because they think his game can be similar to Crabtree's. If he steps up, Baalke won't budge from his number for Crabtree and Crabtree will bolt. Book it.

You mean . . . by the end of this training camp!?
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
You mean . . . by the end of this training camp!?

Really hoping Lockette earns a starting role.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Rascal:

Exactly. The franchise number at wide receiver is way too high for the way Baalke works. Nope. Baalke will figure a value for a dynamic possession receiver and he won't stray too far from that. If Crabtree wants to play at that number, the team will be able to keep him. But most of us agree that Crabtree will NOT want to play for that number. The key is whether or not anyone steps up this season - I'm especially going to be interested in watching Patton because I think they drafted him specifically because they think his game can be similar to Crabtree's. If he steps up, Baalke won't budge from his number for Crabtree and Crabtree will bolt. Book it.

Now, why exactly do "most of us agree" that Crabtree will not accept the Niners' offer (if one is made)? And does this "most of us agree", in fact, make it a fait accompli? Why don't we wait and see.

If it comes down to it, Crabtree will at least test the market first. He may well find out that the market for his services are not as strong as he anticipated. Remember: No probowls. History of injuries. The Niners are not a cheap-skate organization. They will pay you value if you are worth it.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I don't think they have a problem using receivers effectively. Crabtree's injury is a blessing. We aren't going to pay him Mike Williams money - like the Patriots, the 49ers won't commit a huge cap number to a guy that touches the ball 6-10 times a game. So, with the expectation that Crabtree is gone as a FA, we now have a full season to evaluate our young guys. If Crabtree signs a deal for less than top market it's a bonus.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i doubt we resign him anyway and that is fine with me. if he decides to be foolish and hold a gun to the niners head due to the one great season he had, than dumping him is really fine with me
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Now, why exactly do "most of us agree" that Crabtree will not accept the Niners' offer (if one is made)? And does this "most of us agree", in fact, make it a fait accompli? Why don't we wait and see.

If it comes down to it, Crabtree will at least test the market first. He may well find out that the market for his services are not as strong as he anticipated. Remember: No probowls. History of injuries. The Niners are not a cheap-skate organization. They will pay you value if you are worth it.

Okay, let's just say that I think Crabtree will not accept what Baalke has in mind for compensation. Just my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't like him, but as far as I'm concerned, he's already proven with his original holdout that money is more important than chemistry and that's fine. Yes, he'll test the market. Let's just leave Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Mike Wallace out of this for a second. Do you think Crabtree thinks he's as good as, say, Dwayne Bowe, Devin Hester or Vincent Jackson? I think he sees himself as equal to those guys and they all have contracts making over $10 mil a season. Percy Harvin, Jackson and Bowe all average over $11 mil a season. With the money the Niners pay for defense, and with Kaepernick, Iupati and Aldon Smith needing to get paid, I just don't think Baalke will want to pay over $10 million for Crabtree.

Crabtree is a fabulous receiver, but he's a possession receiver. He's not a stretch the field kind of player. I think they're hoping Jenkins, Lockette or Moore become stretch-the-field guys and Patton becomes a dynamic possession receiver similar to Crabtree. On top of that, I think they feel McDonald can be a classic possession TE to compliment Davis and James/Hunter can be the Darren Spoles type guys. With all that on their offensive plate, I just don't see them putting out $10 mil a year for Michael Crabtree.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Okay, let's just say that I think Crabtree will not accept what Baalke has in mind for compensation. Just my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't like him, but as far as I'm concerned, he's already proven with his original holdout that money is more important than chemistry and that's fine. Yes, he'll test the market. Let's just leave Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Mike Wallace out of this for a second. Do you think Crabtree thinks he's as good as, say, Dwayne Bowe, Devin Hester or Vincent Jackson? I think he sees himself as equal to those guys and they all have contracts making over $10 mil a season. Percy Harvin, Jackson and Bowe all average over $11 mil a season. With the money the Niners pay for defense, and with Kaepernick, Iupati and Aldon Smith needing to get paid, I just don't think Baalke will want to pay over $10 million for Crabtree.

Crabtree is a fabulous receiver, but he's a possession receiver. He's not a stretch the field kind of player. I think they're hoping Jenkins, Lockette or Moore become stretch-the-field guys and Patton becomes a dynamic possession receiver similar to Crabtree. On top of that, I think they feel McDonald can be a classic possession TE to compliment Davis and James/Hunter can be the Darren Spoles type guys. With all that on their offensive plate, I just don't see them putting out $10 mil a year for Michael Crabtree.

I agree with you 100%.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I don't think they have a problem using receivers effectively. Crabtree's injury is a blessing. We aren't going to pay him Mike Williams money - like the Patriots, the 49ers won't commit a huge cap number to a guy that touches the ball 6-10 times a game. So, with the expectation that Crabtree is gone as a FA, we now have a full season to evaluate our young guys. If Crabtree signs a deal for less than top market it's a bonus.

I know Harbaugh has the ability to scheme for the WR position, my concern is finding and/or developing guys who can actually 1) stay healthy, and 2) be dynamic receivers. Crabtree and Manningham have been the closest thing to that but both have been injured and the young guys were not ready. Perhaps it's a case of bad luck. Now they have Jenkins and Lockette (who have a year in the NFL), Patton (who was not a top pick but has potential), and Moore (who hasn't done much in three NFL years) behind Boldin and Crabtree...PLEASE...someone develop into a dynamic receiver opposite Boldin!

The good news...I guess...is that they have a ton of guys who look like they can fill the bill!
They just activated K. Williams. Let's not forget about him because I think he's a real good slot receiver.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
They just activated K. Williams. Let's not forget about him because I think he's a real good slot receiver.

Yea, I just found out as well. At least he has experience and I thought he played pretty well before he went down. Mario is probably the best out of the bunch, hopefully he can come back soon.
Whatever happend to that case Crabtree had pending? That plus the achilles, us already being a winning team, and his friendship with Kaep has to be some sort of leverage for us.
Share 49ersWebzone