There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Could Crabtree be looking for Mike Williams money next year?

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
skins always overpay says what

But that's the point. If one idiot team overpays, than that is what sets the price.
Thanks, AB about the situations of Staley and Vernon(I didn't know that about Vernon).

Sorry, but you fellas who think Crbs is going to want to stay around here for less money(whatever it is) because of his "thing" with Kap, and his wanting to stay with this team....that just makes me laugh. Crbs is the same selfish guy who held out as I pointed out two pages back. Anybody that thinks he is going to do anything other than get top dollar is kidding himself. Crbs is for...well , crbs. And I don't think he feels any allegiance here, especially when he KNOWS we underpaid him( ok, he thinks 9ers screwed him ), so when it comes time, he skates.

What I will be interested in is the development of what appears to be an arsenal of "ball catchers" over the next yr. If it is what I think, I could see crbs getting traded his final yr, perhaps with some advantage to us.(we seem to like draft picks). If crbs has anything but an exceptional season when he comes back to work, then his position will be marginalized, and even with less to negotiate, he goes to the biggest $$$. Guys, the fellow is selfish...from the start, with the 49ers effectively paying for two yrs work to just learn the dam playbook. 3rd yr he took off. Then the pendulum swung, tears his achilles and he lesssens his bargaining position.

If you really like crbs, watch him intensely whenever he returns this yr. I honestly believe it will be his last one here. If I am wrong, please remind me of it.
Well.. Crabtree got an injured again and again that his problem! And His speed is not talent yet! If Crabtree wanted more moneys a lot then let him walk away!
Crabtree will expect more money than Baalke wants to pay. Baalke sets a value and sticks with it. That's the way he plays the game. And, I just don't think he's going to valuate Crabtree the way Crabtree feels he should be valued. A lot depends on whether any of the younger receivers step up this season. If Patton turns into another dynamic possession receiver, we can all say goodbye to Michael Crabtree. I'd love for the Niners to keep him, but I'll be surprised if they do because I just think the prestige of making top receiver money will be more important to Crabtree than staying with the team.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This!! I just don't see Crabs wanting to stay here without a huge contract. If he's smart he'll look at the Deshon Goldson example and make a fare deal. If not,

Dashon Goldson got paid exactly what he felt he was worth, I'm not sure that's a good example
[ Edited by SmileyJetson on Jul 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM ]
As Nielsen says above, a lot depends on whether any of the younger receivers step up this season. To that I already added these potential "ball catchers". We are starting to drift into a period where WRs and TEs, will be interchangeable parts. : To GNielsen's younger receivers I would add:
Vernon, LMJ, Anquan, Miller, kyle, hunter, frank and celek., and Mario when he returns. That is 9 potential "ball catchers" which is a bit awkward to say, but that is very likely where we are headed this yr. Everybody who touches the ball (except for Goodwin) is going to be a potential receiver,
Here are the new guys, patton, Vance, and AJ( a holdover). The rest are already capable of catching passes, and that is what I believe Coach H is going to do...have so many guys as potential receivers, that if we lose 2 or 3 , it won't matter. This means Kap has a lot of work ahead learning how each and every guy runs a route. Look for 8, maybe sometimes 9 guys catching the ball in one game. That obviates the need for crbs right there. I don't have any special insight into how Coach is going to call the O this yr, but he has been burned two yrs running with only crbs/Vernon in NFCC and SB.

That wasn't enough, and I think JH takes a page from peyton's book and has everybody catching passes. Sure eliminates need for an $11 mil WR. So of the new guys we are counting on, really it is just Vance and patton, with AJ. If they don't work out...which I seriously doubt, we still got 9 guys who can catch the dam ball. Look for it to happen and crbs influence-and-need to markedly lessen. If those 3 guys do work out then we have a potential 12 guys capable of catching passes.
Check that scenario out as compared to previous yrs.

We got an extra capable QB, we extra RBs, we got tons of "ball catchers" , we got the great OL,(with spares), we got the great DL with spares, and the best front 7 in the league. We also have 197 ( or so it seems) guys auditioning for Strong Corners(DBs), with Reid a lock and probably Nnamdi. Whitner, Carlos , and brown have the inside track ...but do not discard the remaining scads of potential Strong Corners Coach and Trent have in camp. Whoever wins out as starters...they will have earned it. Our kicking and punting game is nonpareil. Our coaching staff the same, and GM is stellar along with our owner. Guys we are locked and loaded for bear, and have backups to boot. Does anybody really think crbs is going to be missed that much whether he misses all this yr or not? Man I sure don't.. And same goes for when crbs gets to contract yr and wants more money. I cannot even remotely see the F.O.thinking about paying him what crbs is certain he is worth. That means, adios crbs. Selfish is as selfish does....and the pendulum ALWAYS swings back. Sometimes, you just have to wait a while.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM ]
Guys, these are football players, not hockey players.

It's all about the money.

Football players don't have guaranteed contracts and they know their window to make money could be over week one by an injury so it's all about getting what you can when you can.

Kap and Crabs will be friends whether they play on the same team or not. Do you think Flacco and Boldin aren't cool anymore? Do you think Boldin is mad Flacco got paid and it's his fault he's no longer a Raven?

Hell no!

This is what they busted their asses for all their lives.

Anyone can be replaced!!
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,000 for Rascal.
Originally posted by rammer:

Football players don't have guaranteed contracts and they know their window to make money could be over week one by an injury so it's all about getting what you can when you can.

Kap and Crabs will be friends whether they play on the same team or not. Do you think Flacco and Boldin aren't cool anymore? Do you think Boldin is mad Flacco got paid and it's his fault he's no longer a Raven?

Hell no!

Anyone can be replaced!!

Yep, this is just the business side of football.

The 2nd contract is always the biggest in your career. Plus, football is a very physical sport, a career-ending injury can happen at any point in time.

That was why I never blamed Dashon for leaving especially when Baalke never had any intention in paying him. If Crab can get $10 mil+ elsewhere, then good for him. It is up to the team who to pay and who not to pay. Some might argue pay Aldon and let Crab walk, but seriously if Aldon demands too much, may be Tank can step in too. It all depends on where your priorty lies and you have to keep all your options open.

Like I mentioned before, whether we can keep Crab or not, we should still draft a top wideout next year.

Football has become a salary cap management business, you have to keep developing and finding new talents. The magic of success is to be able hand-pick top talents amongst the crowd and against other teams, enjoy the fruits of their 1st contracts at next to nothing for 4 years or so, then decide later whether you want to cough up some real dough to keep them.
[ Edited by Rascal on Jul 25, 2013 at 1:50 AM ]
Hopefully Mike Williams put his money in a bank account so that way Crabtree won't find it.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by rammer:

Hell no!

Anyone can be replaced!!

Yep, this is just the business side of football.

The 2nd contract is always the biggest in your career. Plus, football is a very physical sport, a career injury can happen at any point in time.

That was why I never blamed Dashon for leaving especially when Baalke never had any intention in paying him. If Crab can get $10 mil+ elsewhere, then good for him. It is up to the team who to pay and who not to pay. Some might argue pay Aldon and let Crab walk, but seriously if Aldon demands too much, may be Tank can step in too. It all depends on where your priorty lies and you have to keep all your options open.

Like I mentioned before, whether we can keep Crab or not, we should still draft a top wideout next year.

Football has become a salary cap management business, you have to keep developing and finding new talents. The magic of success is to be able hand-pick top talents amongst the crowd and against other teams, enjoy the fruits of their 1st contracts at next to nothing for 4 years or so, then decide later whether you want to cough up some real dough to keep them.

Aldon is a HOF caliber player. He is staying put. Crabs, although i think he is great now, probably isn't. Neither is Dashon.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Aldon is a HOF caliber player. He is staying put. Crabs, although i think he is great now, probably isn't. Neither is Dashon.

Correct!

Dumb to be even mentioning the two in the same sentence.

Dashon also. Aggressive as he was, you could ALWAYS count on him to make at least one bonehead play a game (piling on unnecessarily, etc.), extending a drive, sometimes costing the Niners the game. I'm not sad that the team has moved on from him. He wasn't worth what he got.

Crabtree likewise. Dude has had ONE injury free season, from the beginning of training camp. Noone knows what he's thinking either. The guy who keeps saying "he's ging to want at least $10 million a year". Stop it. You don't know. Personally, given his injury history, I don't think he's worth $8 million a season.
WR farm system in place to not over pay him, unless he does some loco #s this year
Crabtree's as good as gone. . He's a possession receiver similar to Boldin who I consider the ultimate possession receiver. Crabtree is a move the chains type of receiver but his salary belongs nowhere near those of Jones, Greene, Johnson, Jennings, Wallace etc.. and a number of other #1's. Just my opinion but I don't even think anyone will pay him like a big time #1 WR and I would almost guarantee you he wants to be paid like one.
He will get Franchise Tagged until we find a suitable replacement.
Rascal, Young2rice is right. Aldon stays here. He is a talent that comes along once every 5- 8 yrs. He is a 49er period. You just don't let those guys go...and yes , he will deserve on helluva contract. Hard to believe, but after a yr learning coverage, he is set to have his best yr yet. Yikes.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM ]