There are 338 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Could Crabtree be looking for Mike Williams money next year?

$40M sounds good, but 4yrs, not 6yrs. Crabs is above Mike Williams, not by much, but he is above him. I think a 5yr deal averaging $8M would be a fair deal.
pdizo, selfish? Hey, this is the guy who sat out the first half of season one, our #1 pick, and then spent the second half of season one learning the playbook. Then the next season he was still learning the playbook...so for two seasons, basically, not much value. Then 3rd season had it on the mark and tore his Achilles. Jee whiz, now that it is put that way, yeah , he IS selfish.

You know what they say, Pdizo? The pendulum always swings back. And that is exactly what happened here. Once it comes time for thinking about extending him, ie, next yr, it will be a low ball offer, to a guy who is, as you put it, SELFISH. Really good WR but selfish. Then when last yr comes, crbs plays out his contract, there will be a hew and cry for "Give him his money", and a lot of that will come from here. But good as he is, he was selfish, and actually hurt our team by sitting out after being our top draft pick. Seems F.O. didn't think he was worth what crbs thot he was worth. Then the pendulum. Add to that the financial considerations (team Cap), and we will be allocating that money for the OL, and front 7(those not already rewarded), and there is the issue of Kap. We gotta keep our OL and DL intact, and they and Kap come first. We lose Brown too, probably. But that is Cap football.

That being said, unless he gets traded in last yr of contract, he will command high $$ (not what he thinks he's worth, but still, high $$). And there will be a line of teams wanting him to sign with them....we just won't be one of them. Pdizo, you ever know someone who was selfish, who changed to being generous, or in this case, a team guy? Nah, I don't either. As they say, a leopard doesn't change his spots. My guess? Vance, Patton, Boldin, LMJ, Vernon, and yes, AJ, are going to make a lot of folks around here forget crbs. Just watch. Vernon also is coming up, and we pay him long before we pay some selfish guy.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Did I imply that he was a free agent this coming offseason?

I thought so, but I have been wrong before. Sorry.

His value has not been set yet.

He has one full season to play with the 49ers, before he reaches free agency.

If he plays well, his market value should increase.

There is a good chance that next year's free agency will increase the market value of wide receivers in general.

Using current contracts to put a dollar figure on what he can get in free agency in two years seems problematic.

At least, I do not feel capable of doing it.


No worries bro, I completely agree that using current contracts won't be accurate if we don't resign him until 2015. My thinking was to extend him early or let him walk. I have no idea what wide receivers demands will be next offseason so all I have to go off of are current contracts that were signed. Honestly I have no idea why the Vikings paid Jennings so much money, but it doesn't bode well for teams that have big money receivers to sign in the future.

I have complete faith in our FO but I am a little bit worried about our future resignings. The next couple of offseasons will be the toughest our FO has seen IMO, but I am confident they will sign the right guys for bargains.
Imagining worst case scenarios: Could you imagine if Crabs pulled a Greg Jennings and went to Seattle?
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Where are you guys getting the info that he wants to be somewhere else? I get the feeling he likes being a niner.

It's not surprising. Who can forget the countless posts that Crabtree wants to be a Dallas Cowboy.
I just don't see the Niners giving him top 5 receiver money. I'd like him to stay too, but if you want to use the Bucs as a benchmark, I think you're going to be disappointed. The Bucs are chumps. The Bucs are running their franchise the opposite way the Niners are.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,036
There is NO evidence that proves Michael Crabtree wants to play somewhere else.
The idea is 100% 49ersWebzone Generated and seeing as how 85% of the population believe things without proof, the "rumor" still lives on.....

Instead of using sound judgement and critical, objective thinking, people would rather pretend to be semi-Ms. Cleo's trying to predict the future based on nothingness.

Until Michael Crabtree comes out and says so himself, then backs up his comments in his behavior/actions, I wouldn't assume a damn thing.

People need to stop perpetuating lies and disguising it as "being realistic".
[ Edited by SaksV on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM ]
Lol @ all you arm chair GM's that think Baalke is a god. The dude is not perfect. Just because HE believes jenkins or lockette or patton can replace Crabtree doesn't mean thats the truth. Crab has been a baller his whole career, he's just had 1/2 of a season with downfield qb and offense to prove it. He deserves the money he will get on the open market


But that won't be until 2015
With his injury, his market value will drop. Few good teams are going to risk big bucks on guy coming off an injury like this, so in a way this injury could benefit the team, IF we play well with out him this year, IF he does make a 100% recovery, and IF other teams try to low ball him. That's three big ifs, but I'm always optimistic!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
With his injury, his market value will drop. Few good teams are going to risk big bucks on guy coming off an injury like this, so in a way this injury could benefit the team, IF we play well with out him this year, IF he does make a 100% recovery, and IF other teams try to low ball him. That's three big ifs, but I'm always optimistic!

If Crabs is smart, he will not sign an extension after the 2013 where he will only play the post season and most likely not at 100%. He should play out his contract, with a full healthy 2014 season. Then get the most he can get. In other words, he should not extend his deal with one year left on his current deal.
Originally posted by SaksV:

People need to stop perpetuating lies and disguising it as "being realistic".

People are simply offering up their predictions and speculations. Doing this on a sports forum is a no-no? Alert the press!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,723
If something can't be worked out, there's always the Franchise tag.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
pdizo, selfish? Hey, this is the guy who sat out the first half of season one, our #1 pick, and then spent the second half of season one learning the playbook. Then the next season he was still learning the playbook...so for two seasons, basically, not much value. Then 3rd season had it on the mark and tore his Achilles. Jee whiz, now that it is put that way, yeah , he IS selfish.

You know what they say, Pdizo? The pendulum always swings back. And that is exactly what happened here. Once it comes time for thinking about extending him, ie, next yr, it will be a low ball offer, to a guy who is, as you put it, SELFISH. Really good WR but selfish. Then when last yr comes, crbs plays out his contract, there will be a hew and cry for "Give him his money", and a lot of that will come from here. But good as he is, he was selfish, and actually hurt our team by sitting out after being our top draft pick. Seems F.O. didn't think he was worth what crbs thot he was worth. Then the pendulum. Add to that the financial considerations (team Cap), and we will be allocating that money for the OL, and front 7(those not already rewarded), and there is the issue of Kap. We gotta keep our OL and DL intact, and they and Kap come first. We lose Brown too, probably. But that is Cap football.

That being said, unless he gets traded in last yr of contract, he will command high $$ (not what he thinks he's worth, but still, high $$). And there will be a line of teams wanting him to sign with them....we just won't be one of them. Pdizo, you ever know someone who was selfish, who changed to being generous, or in this case, a team guy? Nah, I don't either. As they say, a leopard doesn't change his spots. My guess? Vance, Patton, Boldin, LMJ, Vernon, and yes, AJ, are going to make a lot of folks around here forget crbs. Just watch. Vernon also is coming up, and we pay him long before we pay some selfish guy.

whats great is Vernon has high base salaries, so simple extension, with some needed cap room in whatever year, either 2013, 2014 or 2015 when his deal runs out.

Same with Staley.
If he returns in style this season he could ask for it and maybe get it from someone
If he returns in 2011 fashion he could ask for it but won't get it from anyone.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If something can't be worked out, there's always Hammer.

*fixed