There are 178 users in the forums

Could Crabtree be looking for Mike Williams money next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BallGetRings49:
With him missing a good portion of the upcoming season I think 10-12 mil a year is a reach. Especially with only one year of good production.

He will not be a free age next year., He will have a full season, barring another injury, before he reaches free agency. .
Not after the injury no. Let him walk, or limp outta here, or take a decent team-friendly extension.
Load it up with bonuses too. Play X amount, get paid X amount. Keep the guaranteed cost down.
Originally posted by buck:
This merits a new thread?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by lamontb:
In my opinion he's gonna want more than that

he'll get more than that if he wants, but probably from another team
Mike Wallace got 12 mill per year, I'm pretty sure Crabtree can easily get 10 per year

Yep, I used the same benchmark as well. Mike Wallace is an outside deep threat wideout, they tend to be able to demand more. Percy Harvin is on $11 mil as a slot reveiver. I am just thinking may be Crab might not go that far to ask for more than that. That was why my initial guess was $10 mil. But, since Victor Cruz is only getting $7 mil or so, that was why I said between $8-10 mil. In all honesty, I reckon he is going to want at least $10 mil. But, given he is injured and he may not be 100% when he comes back, I am hoping he might be less pushy. Wishful thinking perhaps. At the end of the day, I think it all depends on what the rest of the 31 teams want to pay him.
I want Mike Williams money
Originally posted by BallGetRings49:
With him missing a good portion of the upcoming season I think 10-12 mil a year is a reach. Especially with only one year of good production.

good point. He has only had 1 great year.. The reason wallace got paid was cuz he can stretch the field and command double teams, doesn't mean he is better but he going to give the defense problems with his speed.. Crabtree does not have the same skillset.. I think jennings contract will make crabtree's contract higher though, even though he is more polished and a proven receiver year in and year out he is also quite a bit older than crabtree but he was also injured as well.

That being said I think the 49ers max offer will be something like 5/35 around 7 mil a year, anything more would being overspending IMO, and he can get as much as 10 in free agency..crabtree is good just not great.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ballistic:

I edited post. Apparently it does; at least many people are responding.
I guess it all comes down to if he wants to win or make big money.
This is the exact window where his contract commands should land, but I seem to remember that his initial contract demands were insane. His outlandish requests even helped change the rookie pay scale. I want to say that he has matured and will recognize the value of playing for a contender, but the truth is, how can we even begin to speculate about that?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
good point. He has only had 1 great year.. The reason wallace got paid was cuz he can stretch the field and command double teams, doesn't mean he is better but he going to give the defense problems with his speed.. Crabtree does not have the same skillset.. I think jennings contract will make crabtree's contract higher though, even though he is more polished and a proven receiver year in and year out he is also quite a bit older than crabtree but he was also injured as well.

That being said I think the 49ers max offer will be something like 5/35 around 7 mil a year, anything more would being overspending IMO, and he can get as much as 10 in free agency..crabtree is good just not great.

Except he will not be a free agent until 2015. He will have one full year to raise his value. If he comes back strong, his value will go up.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
I think the injury will force Crabtree to walk. Crabtree has only had one 1k season, plus he has had a fair number of injuries. That will cause the 49ers to value him less. Crabtree will probably look at this 1k season as the floor and that he will achieve even greater numbers in the future (plus never get injured). I see the 2 sides starting very far apart in numbers, and not able to come together.

I can totally see that happening. We already saw how hard it was to get him sign his current contract. I would say we will be at least $3 mil apart.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I guess it all comes down to if he wants to win or make big money.

Yes, and his ego. If he has always wanted to play elsewhere, as some have stated over the years, he will jump. But, as you say, if he wants trophies and success as a team, he will give a hometown discount. Just can't believe that would be the case.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
This is the exact window where his contract commands should land, but I seem to remember that his initial contract demands were insane. His outlandish requests even helped change the rookie pay scale. I want to say that he has matured and will recognize the value of playing for a contender, but the truth is, how can we even begin to speculate about that?

Where did you pull that out from? Links? I believe that it was quite to the contrary, in fact. The Raiders were alway throwing off the informal "rookie pay scale", not the Niners. The Niners stuck to their guns. Crabtree capitulated.
One 1000 yd season and no pro bowls does not deserve 8 mil a yr. maybe 6 mil because he's young with potential. I say he leaves even though I want him to be niner. We have other guys who are more important and actually worth 8+ mil a yr.
I could see him giving us a little discount because he absolutely loves Kap.

But I could also see a team throw 10+ mill a year at him
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone